The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've been lucky in a bad situation

danlindberg

Me, my wife, my two girls 9 and 6 years old are visiting my parents in Spain. A week of sun, good food and laziness.

This morning we woke up and felt something was wrong. Quickly we realised that we had been visited by bad guys during the night. All four wallets empty, several creditcards, an expensive watch and some jewelry of my mom. The worst is the feeling that they have walked around in the bedrooms while we were sleeping. Very creepy.

The most important is ofcourse that nothing happened to any of us physically. Mentally we are ok too even if we are a little shookup.

The whole point of this thread is the amazing fact that my M9 with my brandnew chrome 50 Summilux was just sitting in the middle of the kitchentable and it was still there!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had not bothered to take it.

The only explanation is that the punk didn't have a clue of its value. So, in some respect I was lucky......

danlindberg

It sure is creepy! It happened in a private house in a gated community. It "should" be a very safe place, but there you go....

Godfrey

Ugh! That's a nasty, dark, creepy thing to have happen.
In a private home, too. Gives me chills.

thrice

Private house in a gated community means it's most likely someone who works or lives in the community.

CharlesK

Very nasty experience! Obviously very experienced crims, as this would be an easy target, in an assumed comfort zone. Thankfully your family is fine :)

ashwinrao1

Wow, what a story. Glad you and your family are okay, Dan, and it speaks to the discretion of the M9 that it is still with you...had it even been a Rebel XSi or Nikon D3000, it would have been long gone...

Wishing you the safest of returns home...

seattlesteve

:eek: Jaw on floor...wow. Just the thought of having some low-life crooks walking around while you and your family was sleeping is creepy. Maybe it's best that nobody woke up and had to deal with witnessing this act. Firstly, glad your family is safe and second, it's awesome your M9 and new 50 made it through too.

shtarka1

Dan, also very glad you are all ok! Obviously the "Shmuck" factor came into play here with these Imbeciles! Thats one point for the Good Guys.
Once again, thankfully no one was hurt!

danlindberg

Thank you all for your kind words. It really does help to feel better.

Yesterday was a day of lots of talking about it and just realising that we were quite lucky all in all! They got away with some stuff but that is just stuff. Even if the M9 was to disappear obviously that would have also been a low price to pay for the wellbeing of the family.

The police found that the fence was cut in a far away corner of the community and they also told us that they believe it was a russian maffia gang doing it. (it gives me the chills to think of that...)

Anyway, we are ok, and we all decided at breakfast today that we are going to try and put it behind us and activate us with fun stuff :) In a few hours we are going up to Sierra Nevada for a days skiing tomorrow :)

All the best to you :)

ElvisKennedy

They probably didn't see your camera. Or if they did, they're smart enough to realize that raising money trying to sell a stolen camera of any brand is not a worthwhile venture. Cash, credit cards and jewelry are where it's at for thieves. We'd like to think this had something to do with Leica being 'discreet' but I doubt it.

Glad you're OK and enjoy the rest of your vacation.