The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New user here , Leica M lens info requested

dude163

Hi all

I am in the process of saving up for a Leica M8 , and I need to decide on a lens

is it worthwhile getting a zeiss or Voigtlander lens instead of the Leica glass?

my preferred focal lengths are 50-85mm on the DSLRs so something from 40-90 would be cool I think.

Thanks a lot for any info anecdotes

D163

Chris C

..... M8 ..... I need to decide on a lens... .is it worthwhile getting a zeiss or Voigtlander lens instead of the Leica glass?....
Hi. I heartily recommend the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 C-Biogon. It's far more than a 'worthwhile' lens; for my M8 work I believe I have the best 35mm lens I can get ........... at any price. I also have a S/H Konica Hexanon 50mm f2.0 lens that I really like, but If I were buying a new 50mm lens I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Zeiss 50mm Planar f2.0.

With the 'M' platform you gain tremendous advantages with lens designs and have a good selection to choose from, but they all have strengths and weaknesses [or 'character' as some will have it]. The trick is in knowing what you need from a lens, and the best lens in a given focal length for your needs may not be the fastest most expensive lens. A subscription to Reid Reviews will give you great reading, and could well save you a lot of money in your lens choice; "35mm lenses on M9" might be a good place for you to start.

Good luck.

............. Chris

dude163

A planar 50/2sounds like a great buy, I have just sold 2 planars that were contax mount, an 85/1.4 and a 50/1.7 , they were both excellent and well made too! Thats why I was wondering how they were on a M8 body

mathomas

Personally I find 50mm a little odd on the M8 (due to crop factor), but given your preference for mid-tele lenses, the Planar would do you very well.

I have a 50mm Sonnar, and in the right circumstances, it's magic on the M8 (albeit the weird focal length).

Fates

I'm a big fan of the rigid Summicron 50/2. I've got a 1970's Wetzlar version and for the price, it is a show stopper. Fantastic rendering and superb build quality. Tack sharp and wonderful bokeh.

seakayaker

Lots of options, and you may not want to overlook the Voigtlander options. I have used the 40/1.4 (53mm) , 50/1.5 (67mm), and 75/1.8 (100mm) on my M8.2 and the results are pleasing to my eye.

Last 47 photos on page 4 of this set are taken with the M8.2 - 40/1.4 combo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624474633027/?page=4

Samples of the M8.2 - 50/1.5 can be found on page 5 & 6 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624154693002/?page=5

. . . . . and samples of the M8.2 - 75/1.8 can be found on Page 3 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157625202215323/?page=3

I also have a Zeiss 25/2.8 lens, and few Leica lens which are outstanding. Just wanted to point out that you could purchase the 40/1.4 & 75/1.8 for the cost of the Zeiss 25/2.8. Cost was a concern of mine when I jumped in and did not have the layout of cash and did want different focal lengths.

As someone above mentioned a subscription to Reid Reviews is worthwhile since he does include Voigtlander, Zeiss, Leica, and occasionally other lens in his review of various focal lengths. A lot of discussion on this site as well as the range finders forum as well on lens and accessories.

Good luck with your lens decisions, you will enjoy the M8 once you start shooting! I know I did . . . . .

dude163

I received a nice email and the person said I shouldnt overlook used gear , I should have mentioned here that I presently use alot of stuff thats 35-55 years old, as long as the optics are clear of haze and fungus, I dont really care what the exterior lookslike,

Where are the best places to search for used gear? i assume here is a good bet, RFF.com and perhaps keh.com?

cheers

M5-Guy

Yes KEH....
Even BGN lenses are in pretty good conditon... KEH "BGN" = 7-8 on a 1-10 scale, no lens haze/fog.

dude163

Hi again

Now that I have found a M8U I need to find a lens quickly, thanks for the tips everyone!

Robert

dude163

Hi all , just a quick update

thanks to the members here I managed to acquire a 90mm elmar f4 and a rigid Summicron 50 f2

hopefully the camera and lenses will be here before the weekend!

Photojazz

Dude, edit, looks like I am late to the party, sorry... Congrats on your nice choices.

I got the 1.1 Nokton, and it's images are sparkling so far. Blew me away on a few images I took and 1.1 bokeh, what's not to like...

check out my 50 1.1 gallery from only about 2 days testing: I was pleased with my first efforts. I don't plan on this being my go to lens, that's a 35mm 2.0 Summicron that is stellar. But the CV has a place in my bag as my 50. I also use 90 Summicron v3.

http://doug-photojazz.smugmug.com/P...gtlander-50mm/16157184_yTJGn#1213168950_HxFdh

Leicadoc

Don't ignore the Konica Hexanon glass. I had a Konica 28/2.8 that was absolutely superb, and the 50/2.0 was even better than that. If I had not sold gear to get my pre=aspheric 'lux 50, I would still have the Hexanon. You should find one here or on RFF for 425-475 or so. One of the best deals going, and great build quality. If you get a chance to get a Konica UC Hexanon, just buy it, then ask questions like, "why" until you shoot it. THEN you'll know. Only reason I sold mine was named "M9"...

D&A

I couldn't agree more with what Leicadoc just expressed. The hexanon lenses are some fo the best and most satisfying bagins out there. They truly have a wonderful combination of performance and character in the way they "draw". The only thing I'd add, is that if one is looking for sharpness right into the corners when the lens is used wide open or a stop down a stop or so, the hexars, especially the 28mm, lacks just a bit in that department, but that also is what makes their images (when used at more open apertures) interesting and draws the viewer into the subject matter. An excellent recommendation.

Dave (D&A)

***** P.S. (Edit) I originally wrote "hexar" by mistake my paragraph above (now corrected). What I meant to write was the M-Hexanon lenses (not hexar lenses). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dude163

Hi all, is it Hexar or hexanon? I see both around for sale frequently.

Are hexaNON the RF lenses?