The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello and Thank You

Mark Steber

I have been a long time reader of this forum and this is my first post.

I purchased my M9 and Summarit 35mm last October and I have to say I have never enjoyed a better photographic experience.

There is something about the photos the M9 produces that draws me into the picture more than any camera I have ever used.

I don’t know if it is due to the Kodak CCD sensor, the lack of an anti-aliasing filter, or the Leica glass. Probably a little of each. I just know I have been more satisfied with my recent pictures than most I have taken with my D3/D200/D70/G2, or my old and faithful manual partner, the Pentax MX.

A couple of years back I spent a lot of time thinking about purchasing an M8, talking myself in and out of it. The M9 came out and again the forums described problems, again I hesitated. But after reading this forum and others dedicated to Leica, I finally decided to take the plunge. I can’t believe I wasted all that time waiting. My camera has been perfect and has been delivering wonderful images.

So thank you all for sharing your insights into a truly fabulous camera, and what I am finding to be a truly fabulous photo heritage and tradition. Thanks for taking the time to explain basic issues to new Leica owners like me, and for suffering the foolish questions.

To all those wondering whether to spend hard earned money for a manual camera in 2011, I can only say, yes a Leica digital M is obscenely expensive, and is out of the reach for many, but try to make it happen. Buy a used M8 or save for the M9. Find a way. And consider that Summarit 35mm, a truly fabulous and versatile first lens.

Looking forward to talking with you in the future.

Mark

Godfrey

A friend brought his M2 to a party on Tuesday evening. I played with an M again for the first time since 2002. My favorite M model was the M4-P ... had three of them in all over the years. Next day I meandered around the various retailers and considered buying another one.

No. I stopped myself. I will not buy another film camera. The $800-1500 it would cost me is money better spent on the Fuji X100 or saving up for an M9 body and lens.

They're just such nice things. ;-)

jonoslack

HI Mark and welcome
I quite agree with everything you say - and the 35 summarit is a sweet lens, really fine.

all the best
Jono

Mark Steber

Guys/Gals

Thank you so much for your kind welcoming words.

Bill, Chuck, Pete: Well it didn't take long. Got the Elmarit 24 demo used for cheap, a used Summarit 75, and just recently a 50 lux. Think I am set....ha ha.

Godfrey: Don't do film anymore. Had a good run with the MX. Actually the M9 brings back a lot of good memories of the MX.

Terry: Thanks!

Jono: My man! As my Hawaiian friends would say Mahalo nui loa bruddah! Thank you very much for all of your countless encouragements to me, to everyone here at DPI, and at the Leica forums.

I remember when I got the bug a few years ago I read the forums incessantly, and you took the time to respond to about a billion posts. I decided to pass on the M8 and came back a year later, and you were still there cheerleading! Thanks! I needed that. Your encouragement and enthusiasm for Leica and photography came through, and comes through now in spades. Looking forward to corresponding with you.

Mark