The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dropped my 28mm summicron m..

O

ollielott

the filter thread is dinged in slightly, anyone know an estimate of how much this will cost to fix as sending it to leica to get the estimate is a lengthy process.

Thanks

bradhusick

If you bought it from a Leica authorized dealer within the last 3 years you should have the passport warranty. Check the papers that came in the lens box. One should be the passport card.

O

ollielott

i cant find it, only the test card and the manual? it was bought used from a authorized dealer at christmas and am sure it had not been owned for 2 or more yeard before that. is there a way you can check without the card?

charlesphoto

Well, several years ago I dropped my 28 cron (what is it about this lens?) and bent the helicoid and really messed up the barrel. Fortunately no glass was touched. The repair was almost $600 - fortunately I only paid about $1400 for the lens to begin with (before the whole digital craze). So I would expect maybe around $300? Who knows until you get an estimate. Or live with it without a filter and then only repair if you want to sell. A local repair shop might be able to get it straightened out enough to fit a filter on it (a pretty common repair), just not "new" looking. All depends on how bad the ding is....

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I dropped an unpadded bag containing a 35 'cron onto a tile floor and did similar damage to Charles. I sent it to Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch and she fixed it including a replacement helicoid for about $330.

The lens was locked up solid when I sent it off and perfect when I got it back. Don Goldberg also does excellent work too - Leica isn't your only option and to be honest I'd use either of these two folks in PREFERENCE to Leica these days.

summiluc

If it's just the filter ring you can easily repair this yourself using a $30 tool called a filter vise. Micro-tools sells these. These fit onto the filter ring and your applied pressure returns the filter ring to round. Easy fix but you'd be surprised at how much force is necessary to remove even the smallest filter ring ding.

Otherwise take the lens to any old-time camera store, if you can find one. If they have an in-house repairer it should take him about 5 minutes to fix.

thrice

If you don't want to take the trouble of getting it fixed and possibly footing an exorbitant bill, I'm happy to take it off your hands... at a bargain price of course :D

I know, not helping. All the best with getting your lens fixed!