The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone know if tere is a way to test the 6-bit sensor on M9?

mjm6

Well, after contemplating an 18mm Zeiss purchase, I decided to do it. It arrived, and while trying to figure out what coding to use, I noticed that I couldn't get it to go into the 21mm pre-asph setting coding.

I then tried my 50mm pre-asph lux and it isn't reading correctly either. Neither is the 24mm elmarit asph.

None of these are factory coded, so I figured it may be a problem with alignment, but after trying to redo them a bit, I am wondering if the coding sensors in the camera is malfunctioning...

Does anyone know if there is a procedure to test the coding sensors that I could use to confirm that the camera is malfunctioning? Short of sending it in?

Unfortunately, I don't have a single factory-coded lens here, but I have had success with coding on my 50 and 24.

Actually what makes me think there is a problem with the sensors is that the 24mm codes to be a WATE, and that is a substantially different code that overlaps only on the #2 position, so I'm thinking that some of the sensors may be unable to read.

Thanks,

---Michael

bradhusick

make sure the sensors are clean by using a q-tip with some lens cleaner. sometimes the sharpie can rub off on the sensors.

mjm6

Brad,

I did clean them...

It looks like some of the sensors may have failed... I grabbed a Canon G10 camera, took it into the dark, and then photographed the sensor array, hoping the G10 had enough IR sensitivity to be visible in the photo. It does, and they were...

Only two sensor lights are showing up... UGH! I think the camera has to go back to Leica for repairs.

The Leica USA cameras have a 2 year warranty, right? Gosh, I hope so...

bradhusick

Yes, if you bought this new from an authorized USA dealer they should fix it free of charge. Best wishes.