The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 handgrip

Paratom

Tom, latest thoughts on the grip ?

Also, I note that there are two grips for the S. Can anyone explain the difference, please ?
I still think that the S2/S with grip sits more sturdy in the hand than without grip.
However my S-"approach" has been to bring it as much as possible even for casual shooting. Therefore a use a relativly small backpack which takes the S+lens + 1 additional lens. But I cant fit the S with grip in this bag.
Also I find the S2-size without grip draws allready enough attraction.
Also I use 35 and 70mm much more often than 120 and 180, a I find for the 35 and 70 I can grip the S comfortable without grip.
These are the reason why I allmost never use the grip.
Anybody wants to buy a Leica S2 grip, like new (in Germany)?
I dont know if there are 2 versions, I only know the one I have.
Tom

baudolino

I use the grip almost all the time when shooting handheld. Makes the camera more secure in my hands and I think it helps me handhold at slightly slower speeds than the bare body (irrespective of orientation), especially with the 120mm lens which is my favourite. I have sometimes left it at home when I was trying to travel light but then I concluded that the M9 is the camera for traveling light, not the S2. So now I take the grip along even if I take just one or two lenses with the body, unless I take the tripod (then I take the L-plate and leave the grip at home). I also sometimes use a rucksack (Lowepro Photo Sport 200) with a smaller compartment that does not take the S2 with the grip on; I just throw the grip in the unpadded main compartment, wrapped in a spare skiing sock for protection - but then I am not lazy and actually put it on when shooting. The S2 is uncompromising, with every little bit of misfocus or camera shake immediately visible and ruining the image, so I try to do my best to avoid both. Regards, Martin