The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 and Flash SF 58

GMB

Seems we are not making friends at all :mad:.

I simply cannot make it work the way I want. Specifically, I do not get the exposure right, notably when I attempt indirect flash (i.e., bouncing via the ceiling). Even if I activate the second flash light, shots are underexposed. Also, although the flash fired, some exif data show flash did not fire :eek:.

I must admit that I am not an expert at all as far as flash is concerned. Before switching to Leica M in 2005, I had a Canon SLR with a build in flash and a Canon flash to put on the horseshoe. Set to TTL, set either program (or a aperture), fired, and bang right on the money. Not so with this 600 Euro flash and 18,000 Euro camera.

FYI, I am mostly interested to make two things work: 1) fill in flash when shooting against strong backlight and 2) normal indirect flash. Any help what settings to use on the camera or the flash much appreciated.

Georg

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Seems we are not making friends at all :mad:.

I simply cannot make it work the way I want. Specifically, I do not get the exposure right, notably when I attempt indirect flash (i.e., bouncing via the ceiling). Even if I activate the second flash light, shots are underexposed. Also, although the flash fired, some exif data show flash did not fire :eek:.

I must admit that I am not an expert at all as far as flash is concerned. Before switching to Leica M in 2005, I had a Canon SLR with a build in flash and a Canon flash to put on the horseshoe. Set to TTL, set either program (or a aperture), fired, and bang right on the money. Not so with this 600 Euro flash and 18,000 Euro camera.

FYI, I am mostly interested to make two things work: 1) fill in flash when shooting against strong backlight and 2) normal indirect flash. Any help what settings to use on the camera or the flash much appreciated.

Georg
Georg,

As covered elsewhere (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-s2-forum/168803-s2-sf-58-flash-m9.html), you have to set the SF58 to TTL-HSS when using it on the S2.

David

Paratom

Hi Georg,
I only have the Metz54 with Leica SCA adapter and either TTL-HSS and Auto both do work ok. (Auto of course only up to 1/125)
Not as accurate as my Nikon flash but ok.

peterv

Georg,
what's the distance between the flash and the subject when bouncing via the ceiling?
Could you post an example with the EXIF?
Do you use a diffuser?