The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 bags

Paratom

Anybody interested suggestions for bags for S2?

I was quite happy with Think Tank sling-o-matic 20, however when getting the 120 and 180 I realized those 2 lenses do not fit with attached hood in the bag when the camera body is attached to the lens. (The 35 and 70 do).
Still besides this point the bag works very well for S2 body, one lens attached and 2 additional lenses. But you have to reverse the hood when storing the 120 or 180 attached to the S2.
The protection, compact size, unloading and loading of the bag work very very good.

For 2 Lenses A Tamrac Velocity 9 would work well (also for 180 with hood attached to body) but its too tight for 3 lenses.

I wondered if eventually a KATA 30N Slingbag would fit the camer with attached lens and hood + 2 more lenses. (However the Kata seems to have so many zippers and pads here and there it looks slightly over engineered to me. The Think Tank seems to have a more clean and stable design and interieur.

I dont think I would normally carry more than 3 lenses atthe same time and I want the bag/backpack to be not bigger than needed.

I know Marcs solution (with one extra bag for the lenses) but wonder what how you other guys carry the S2?
Tom

Paratom

One advantage of the Sling-o-matic 20 is also that it (just) fits in the side case of a BMW 1200 GS.

Georg,
yes, I picked it up yesterday.
I urgently needed it in case I will visit the Zoo with the family:deadhorse:

Frienkly I wanted more reach, and upcoming (which year?) Leica 350mm would be probably too long for my taste (I guess I would rather use a DSLR for such long lenses), and also I wanted something which is still handholdable. And I believe AF is a benefit over using third party lens on the S2.

Tom, I use the Think Tank Retrospective and will comfortably hold the S2 with a lens mounted and two other lenses. I have carried the 35mm, 70mm, and 180mm and S2 in the bag with the X1 in a front pocket and various other tidbits in the other front pocket. It adds up to a lot of weight - borderline too much. It usually isn't a problem since most of the time I carry the bag I have the S2 and a lens out for shooting. Then the bag weight is much more comfortable.

D&A

One advantage of the Sling-o-matic 20 is also that it (just) fits in the side case of a BMW 1200 GS.

What ??? :bugeyes: Putting an S2 in the side case of a BMW 1200..... With all that vibration ?? Tom you need me to hold onto that S2 until you're on solid ground. :D

Serious though, I've tried some of the sling bags everyone mentioned and always come back to a shoulder bag or regular backpack. In my experience, the sling bags work well with the weight/size of a body such as a D3 or S2 with smaller lens attched and another lens with inverted hood. Yet when I stuff in more or cram in a 3rd lens, it becomes somewhat unwieldy and then a regular backpack which holds more items, if necessary, is certainly more stabilized and results in it becoming more useful. The best compromise in a compact backpack that I've found so far with a MFD kit consisting of body, 3 lenses, hoods, possibly a flash and batteries, accessories, etc. is the Lowepro Vertex 100 AW. It also has a seperate compartment up front for a laptop (15-17"?)..so weight of camera equipment is not on it. Just one of many great products on the market, but then again, the ability to swing around a sling bag, if not overfilled, is enticing.

Dave (Dave)

woodyspedden

What ??? :bugeyes: Putting an S2 in the side case of a BMW 1200..... With all that vibration ?? Tom you need me to hold onto that S2 until you're on solid ground. :D

Serious though, I've tried some of the sling bags everyone mentioned and always come back to a shoulder bag or regular backpack. In my experience, the sling bags work well with the weight/size of a body such as a D3 or S2 with smaller lens attched and another lens with inverted hood. Yet when I stuff in more or cram in a 3rd lens, it becomes somewhat unwieldy and then a regular backpack which holds more items, if necessary, is certainly more stabilized and results in it becoming more useful. The best compromise in a compact backpack that I've found so far with a MFD kit consisting of body, 3 lenses, hoods, possibly a flash and batteries, accessories, etc. is the Lowepro Vertex 100 AW. It also has a seperate compartment up front for a laptop (15-17"?)..so weight of camera equipment is not on it. Just one of many great products on the market, but then again, the ability to swing around a sling bag, if not overfilled, is enticing.

Dave (Dave)
I am using the Gura Gear "Kiboko" bag. This is Andy Biggs company and he apprently spent a great deal of research time to come up with the appropriate materials, design et al. Andy of course is famous for his African workshops so the needs of the photographer were paramount in his mind.

I met Andy by chance at 5 O'Clock in the morning at Mesa Arch in Utah. He was leading a small group of photographers at the time. I was impressed because they got to the arch first and for those who haven't been there you have about five minutes to get the best light. Andy asked the others to please step aside so I could get my shots. I'll never forget him for that kindness.

Anyway, I have no affiliation to Andy or Gura Gear except for having bought the bag which, after two years, I still consider the best of its kind.

Woody

Paratom

Ceh, looks like a very compfortable bag ;)

Regarding sling vs backpack I would say it depends how often one wants to change lenses or store and unstore the camera.
Even a backpack is really more compfy I found myself being annoyed when switching lenses to have to get the pack on and off.
For 2 hours its ok for me to cary a sling type bag. For goin up a mountain I would definatly prefer a backpack.
The Retrospective - I like how it looks . Didnt have the chance to check it out so far. I like shoulder bags i smaller sizes but if the bags get bigger I find them hard to carry for longer walks.

fotografz

I don't think there is one solution for a S2 bag ... applications being the driver ... which is why I have way to many bags :eek:

I have Kata bags in the mix and can say they do work very well. While they look overdone, in reality they are extraordinarily light weight for the protection delivered (Kata originally made protective gear for the Israeli Army). Their yellow interior is a God sent in dark conditions like a wedding reception.

I now have all four available S lenses, with the expectation of the 24mm to come yet, and the SF58 speed-light with modifiers ... (plus an 1.4X extender should Leica make one, hint-hint :D). That much weight on the shoulder or even my back is a no-go for me. It's a Think Tank Airport Airstream roller all the way for the S2 system ... like at a wedding or event. I especially like their built-in security.

Their newer Airport Take Off is a Roller/Backpack combo, not sure, but it looks to big to me ... can't imagine ... but I'm not a mountain climber (they'd find my huddled body thawing in the Spring :rolleyes:).

I probably will get the Retrospective Lens Changer 3 to offer the option of carrying all 4 current lenses while mobile ... one on-camera, three in the bag ... or two lenses in the bag and the speed-light in the 3rd lens compartment. However, it would be pretty rare to be using all four current lenses while mobile.

The one bag that caught my eye is their Airport Ultralight V2.5 Backpack: Interior: 10.5" wide X 16.5" high X 6/25" deep ... and weighs only 2.5 lbs. And is sized to fit a hard case for extra protection.

Nothing fits every requirement ... we need a true modular bag system.

-Marc

GMB

I thought I resurrect that thread.
What I am looking for is a backpack that could fit my S2 and 4 lenses plus some light closing, drinks etc for a day hike.

I figured out how I can fit the S2 system in the Lowepro 400 W but then there is no room for anything else.

The best solution might be to find something that one could fit into a normal hiking backpack.

Any suggestions?

zoomstop

atanabe

I just got a Think Tank Slingomatic 10 for my S2 and M gear. Larger bags could carry more and they also weigh more - so discipline in choosing gear is first on my list. But I found that i could get the S2 with 70 attached, 180, 120, M9 with 50 Elmar M, 90 Elmarit and 28 Summicron Asph in the bag. Basically all the gear that I would need for a shoot can be packed and carried onto any airplane.

I chose the sling bag after carrying a shoulder bag for many years with the weight load heavily biased to one shoulder. I am also of a smaller stature so a large bag is awkward and when moving through crowds, much more difficult. If you are 6'6" and weigh in at 280# and leave a wake of people when going through crowds, then weight and size may not be a concern for you.

fotografz

I just got a Think Tank Slingomatic 10 for my S2 and M gear. Larger bags could carry more and they also weigh more - so discipline in choosing gear is first on my list. But I found that i could get the S2 with 70 attached, 180, 120, M9 with 50 Elmar M, 90 Elmarit and 28 Summicron Asph in the bag. Basically all the gear that I would need for a shoot can be packed and carried onto any airplane.

I chose the sling bag after carrying a shoulder bag for many years with the weight load heavily biased to one shoulder. I am also of a smaller stature so a large bag is awkward and when moving through crowds, much more difficult. If you are 6'6" and weigh in at 280# and leave a wake of people when going through crowds, then weight and size may not be a concern for you.
Thanks for posting this!

I was considering this bag, but was unsure if it could hold my S2, three S lenses and some M9 stuff.

-Marc

arashm

Zoomstop
thank you for your post
I didn't even know Manfrotto had their own bags and rollers.
The roller looks interesting.
If you get a minute or two can you post an image of your kit fitted inside.
Thank you in advance.
am

J

JackM

Or get a Lowepro slingbag 100.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-100-AW,2034,4.htm

It holds a 35mm on camera with the lens shade on rather than reversed.
It holds a 120 either on, or in the upper pocket.

I added a side bag to hold a ST58 flash.

No plans for a third lens, which would not fit in this bag. Then I would need a external lens bag, which I am willing to hear suggestions on. There are many times when I want no bag, have the camera and lens on my shoulder strap and wish I had a proper belt bag for the spare lens. I don't really need much padding if any for the spare lens belt bag, but security is nice. At this point, I occasionally use the Leica 35mm lens bag dangling by the cord from my belt. Doesn't give me a secure feeling. Suggestions?

Jack