The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Asph Summiluxes

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I know from discussions that many forum members list their pre asph summiluxes as either their favorite or just after the 28 cron . so like any true believer ..I am of course wondering ....why don t I have one ? generally I would be looking for the best available model so I need a little insight. When Leica changed the 50 summilux to a built in hood (96-97?) they changed the filter to a E46 and also reduced the close focus distance to 0.7M. Is this correct ..prior to the built in hood they were all E43? The optical formula is the same so 50 summiluxes from the 80 s are the same as the ones up to the ASPH model. Any insights on what I should be looking for and where I might find one?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The advice I got from Jack was to look for one with the built-in hood and the close-focusing distance at 0.7m, as you described. More than that I do not know. I still don't have one . . . yet!

kevin

Your information sounds correct. In addition, I think Leica updated the coatings on the later lenses.

irakly

i don't know... my favorite 1.4/50 is of the first version with 43mm filter thread, not the one with a built-in hood.
as for 1..4/35, there are two versions. the first one is more collectible and can be found in chrome, but the second version is vastly improved in terms of image quality. you have to have a 12504 hood if you want to use this lens with m8. otherwise there is no way to put an UV/IR filter on it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Glen.

There are at least 2 versions of the E43 and at least 1 earlier version that uses ser VII filters. All of these versions only focus to 1 meter and have detachable hoods. The earliest ones have 2-piece hoods that house the Ser VII filters while the later ones use an E43 filter. The last pre-asph version focuses to .7 meters, has a built-in sliding hood and uses E46 filters.

Now re performance characteristics. I am referring to the f4 and under range as by f5.6 they are all pretty much like any other 50mm M lens. The E43 is excellent, being very sharp centrally with a pleasant fall-off in resolution as you hit the corners at widest apertures. The older Ser VII is nice too, but notably lower contrast and not as crisp centrally as the newer ones, and shows a more classic "swirly" background bokeh when used wide open that can sometimes go "clumpy." The E46 model is very close to the E43 in rendering, but exhibits slightly less resolution fall-off towards the corners and slightly higher micro-contrast, but surprisingly may not be quite as sharp centrally wide open. Understand the differences I am describing between E43 and E46 here are very minor and you'd probably need to compare images side by side to quantify them. Both have very smooth bokeh and render quite similarly (IMO) to the 28 Cron.

At the end of the day, I would/could be quite happy with either E43 or E46. I probably have a slight preference for the E43 rendering, but a stronger preference for the E46's closer focus ability, so that is the version I currently use.

Hope this helps!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jack I knew you were the expert on this lens as you have talked about it before. I am unnecessarily adding to my full bag of M lenses because this is what I enjoy shooting. So I am after a chrome E46 pre asph 50 lux! :thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd be willing to bet you a steak that if you like the way the 28 Cron renders, you're going to love the E46 Pre-asph 50 Lux :D

As you probably already know, the Chrome is about 10 times as hard to find as the black, but they are out there. One tip if it has to chrome and nothing else will do, is Leica made a special run of this lens in LTM -- Yes, thread-mount, as a collectible that fizzled. But it's the same optics and usually sells for 1/3 less than a comparable M mount version, just needs an LTM to M adapter. (For posterity in the thread, it was also made in Titanium, Black-Paint and Gray Hammertone!)

Cheers,

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am an ebay scavenger ... keeps my mind off the market ... I missed on a chrome 50 lux at 1333.....I think I bid 1325....not in a hurry . my 3rd M8 is chrome and I would like to set it up ..for show! LOL

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Kevin and Cindy for the heads up on RF buy sell. Individual has no buy sell experience and only 2 posts . He would/could not provide any ebay experience . So I am still looking . Too bad as this is the exact model...

Terry

Thanks Kevin and Cindy for the heads up on RF buy sell. Individual has no buy sell experience and only 2 posts . He would/could not provide any ebay experience . So I am still looking . Too bad as this is the exact model...
Try calling Sean at Camera West. He tends to have some lenses that aren't listed.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree call Sean. He has more stuff there than you can count. Tell him you are a member here also. He loves the folks here.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have talked to Sean a few times and know his roots. He started working the counter at Jack s in Muncie Indiana. Believe it or not this was the play to buy Leica 20 years ago. They would trade for anything on new Leica ..before eBay and the forums this was really important. I will give him a call. Thanks Roger

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Received a Chrome 50 Pre Asph Lux today. I can see why its a keeper..what a beautiful rendering . Seems very consistent with the 28 Cron... smooth . You can pick out a single line of type in the NYT at close focus and 1.4. Thanks to all that sent me ideas on where to find one. :thumbup:

Terry

Received a Chrome 50 Pre Asph Lux today. I can see why its a keeper..what a beautiful rendering . Seems very consistent with the 28 Cron... smooth . You can pick out a single line of type in the NYT at close focus and 1.4. Thanks to all that sent me ideas on where to find one. :thumbup:
Congrats....
Where did you find it?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger

I would sell you my chrome pre asph E43 with sliding hood but then I would have to kill you! LOL

You'll find one but the chrome ones are getting prohibitively expensive.

Best to Carolyn

Woody (and Phyllis of course)
Woody Quick update for you and Phyllis. Carolyn has turned into a fulltime photographer. (when she isn t playing Golf). We just returned from two weeks in a loft apartment in Paris . Carolyn matched me with 2000 images over the 12 days of shooting. She uses both the Vlux (which she insisted on after the trip to Germany ) and my DLux 2 because she likes the 16:9 wideangles . She has got me with the 420MM equivalent plus image stabization. She goes to Apple One on One classes every week and is now using Aperature and just starting to do everything in Raw. She has produced 5-6 books in one year.