The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Asph Summiluxes

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Congrats....
Where did you find it?
Cindy pointed me to the RF forum buy sell. I have found several lenses there ...its really here(GETdpi) and the RFF for M8 stuff. I check every morning as the best items move immediately. I was outbid on eBay twice .

Roger, I am glad to hear Carolyn is honing her skills. She got some good images on the Germany trip last year so its no surprise she is shooting more. I am sure y'all had a great time in Paris. It is a great place for photography... and eating.... and drinking...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody Quick update for you and Phyllis. Carolyn has turned into a fulltime photographer. (when she isn t playing Golf). We just returned from two weeks in a loft apartment in Paris . Carolyn matched me with 2000 images over the 12 days of shooting. She uses both the Vlux (which she insisted on after the trip to Germany ) and my DLux 2 because she likes the 16:9 wideangles . She has got me with the 420MM equivalent plus image stabization. She goes to Apple One on One classes every week and is now using Aperature and just starting to do everything in Raw. She has produced 5-6 books in one year.
Man she really got bitten in Germany. Good for her. Now you both need to come to the lighting workshop. LOL

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Mark and Guy. Carolyn said something like .....What ?You are going to europe to wander the streets at all hours? Next thing I know she is a photographer .....fortunately she doesn t have any real interest in gear . :thumbup:

tollie

Workshop Member
hey Roger,

I really want to see some of the pictures you made with your pre-a lux. To prime the pump here is one I shot recently... heavy processing but you can see how it draws especially the oof... just wonderful.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
hey Roger,

I really want to see some of the pictures you made with your pre-a lux. To prime the pump here is one I shot recently... heavy processing but you can see how it draws especially the oof... just wonderful.
I really need to do some comparisons as I now have most of the available 50s...asph,preasph,noctilux,summicron and the zm planar. If you want sharp ..its the asph or the planar . The noctilux has the best bokeh(for my taste) but is just to bulky for a 3-4 hour walk on the street. Its perfect for evening or daybreak. What I am looking for in the preasph is something between the Noctilux and the asph with a smooth bokeh. Looks like thats how it renders.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Roger - good luck with the new 50mm! Glad you found what you were seeking. I am in the process of purchasing the chrome one you passed up on RFF. It should arrive beginning of next week. I am looking forward to it.

tollie

Workshop Member
The colors it draws are also wonderful. This shot is right from the camera... zero pp... and man I love drag'en the shutter.

By the way this was a mixed lighting situation and the m8 auto wb did a great job.

Todd

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Todd,
I'm lovin' that dragging the shutter shot.

Charles,
Congratulations on the new lens. Do you think that you will keep the summarit, too?

tollie

Workshop Member
Yes Jack, you and Guy turned me on to the 50 pre lux... now it seems to live on the M8.

Todd

W

wparsons

The colors it draws are also wonderful. This shot is right from the camera... zero pp... and man I love drag'en the shutter.

By the way this was a mixed lighting situation and the m8 auto wb did a great job.

Todd
Todd, I was under the impression that dragging the shutter was a technique used in conjunction with flash, that is, using a slow enuf speed so that ambient light was included with the strobe-lighted part of the image.

Your pic doesn't seem to include flash, so I'm puzzled.

Did you use flash, and if so, how did you manage this look?

Or, is there another definition of dragging that I need to drag into my mind?

tnx.

tollie

Workshop Member
Hi,

well I've been caught out.

Shutter drag does indeed make use of the mix of ambient light and some flash to stop the action...

... so I guess I used a slow shutter rather than one that was dragged.

I think the speed was really slow 1/4 and I had set the camera on the counter... the lens was stopped down perhaps to 5.6 or 8 to get good dof.

Cheers,

Todd

woodyspedden

I'd be willing to bet you a steak that if you like the way the 28 Cron renders, you're going to love the E46 Pre-asph 50 Lux :D

As you probably already know, the Chrome is about 10 times as hard to find as the black, but they are out there. One tip if it has to chrome and nothing else will do, is Leica made a special run of this lens in LTM -- Yes, thread-mount, as a collectible that fizzled. But it's the same optics and usually sells for 1/3 less than a comparable M mount version, just needs an LTM to M adapter. (For posterity in the thread, it was also made in Titanium, Black-Paint and Gray Hammertone!)

Cheers,
Well I am one of those who scrounged until finding a mint chrome/silver last version 50 Lux pre-asph and it was well worth the wait. Roger, this is the lens I was using when on our trip to Germany last June/July and I couldn't be happier with the results. I shot a great many shots in many of the towns we visited (drove to???) and in my opinion they all outshone what I might have gotten with the new asph! JMHO and YMMV. I think that Leica had a "formula" if I can call it that which rendered a somewhat dreamy look and yet, when analyzed carefully had much of the center sharpness that made Leica so famous.

So I now use the old 35 pre-asph, the 50 Elmar collabsible, the 50 pre-asph, the 85 Summarex and the tiny 90 Elmar collapsible and love the images I bring home. These sometimes old and sometimes cheap lenses are just incredible if this is the look you want for your images.

Of course I also use the (much) sharper 21 asph (should have stuck with the pre-asph for a while longer to see the differences) when I need wides. Great lens but I just didn't give the alternatives a real fighting chance. Guess I just got caught up in the asph sharpness wars and went the way of the crowd. Sorry!!

24 is a wonderful lens but not for me a needed one and the 28 Chron, as I have said many times on this and other Leica forums (fora?) is my lens cap with an M8. I don't have a single complaint against this lens so that automatically makes it a keeper in my book.

Lots of stuff to learn and much more stuff to do.

Hope you guys are having as much fun as me.

Love you all

Woody