The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the DMR 'bible' - wher is it?

PeterA

Guy ( since you started the whole thing ) - I tried to find the long thread on the DMR at Fred Miranda and it appears it no longer exists?? I was wondering if it exists anywhere as I am expecting my DMR tomorrow and wanted to do some catching up..

any pointers or sources would be of great assistance..

Cheers
Pete

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's a really long story but bottom line it is gone. BUT I'm HERE. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ask away we have a lot of DMR shooters that can answer any questions you have

PeterA

Oh that is a piece of history man - what a shame....
Still you are here and that is good!
Get ready for some tough questions - mate. :)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Peter,

I'm another long-time (from the beginning till now) DMR shooter. Ask away. Glad to help a new member of the club.

David

Guy Mancuso

Exactly David is a long time shooter of the DMR plus a Leica dealer from Dale labs. We have a vast amount of knowledge on this forum in the Leica camp so any questions you have there are some great folks that can answer them.

dhsimmonds

Hi Peter

I have been shooting with an R9/DMR for almost 2 years and have many thousands of images as experience, if I can help as well, I certainly will. I was in Melb. just over a month ago, great city with a wonderful camera museum! It didn't have the DMR in it!!

I trawled my DMR and kit pretty well all over Oz, it didn't miss one image whether it was in the Outback or on the Great Barrier Reef. In and out of airconditioned vehicles to 37C plus, salt laden atmosphere in Sydney and G.B.R. I didn't have to clean the sensor whilst on tour although I took the sensor cleaning kit, and I have just given the camera and lenses a good old clean up last week including the sensor.

Have lots of DMR fun!

woodyspedden

And Peter, as I sold you the DMR you know you can depend on me to answer your questions as best I can. I shot with it constantly for two years and suspect I may regret selling it. Shooting the wonderful R lenses on the 5D sure ain't the same experience.

Best
Woody

PeterA

What a great bunch of fellows - thanks everyone for your offers of support. I have just received my R9/DMR and 35-70 and 70-180 from Woody so I am pretty excited. I have also immediately enrolled in a heavy weightlifting program so i can muscle up in order to use these lenses! LOL

As people can tell this was a substantial transaction not only in terms of cash but also the logistics of packing and transport. the fact that Woody knew Jack and Gus and Jack new me meant that there was mutual trust on both sides. The fact that Marc Williams invited me here in the first place meant i was able to find a nice group of professional and enthusiast photographers.

I really think this site is quite special.

I have been happy to recommend this site to two great photographers who have started posting. And we all enjoy teh balance of gear head and picture posting and relaxed atmosphere.

Anyway I am sure I will come up with quite a few questions as I start to fill out my 'forever' 35mm system.
btw - dh ( or anyone else) if you are ever in Australia again - dont hesitate to let me knwo I enjoy catching up with Leica shooters when they visit . i was sorry I missed Jack a few years ago when he was down under.

Cheers
Pete

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Peter nice compliments all around we have great folks here. Were all on standby for you just let us know if we can help.

woodyspedden

Wow Guy

Hard to believe that the DMR bible thread started almost two years ago (maybe a little longer?) and people still clamor for it. Sad that you couldn't have "taken it with you and republished here. So much wonderful data, experiences and un-troll like dialogue until the very end. I loved it and through it got to know you, finally meet you in Germany and then be with you on your first workshop. Even at 70 life never ceases to amaze me.

Go Leica. Build a service organization as good as your cameras and you have a beautiful future

Best

Woody

PeterA

btw - sincere apologies Guy for typing your name incorrectly as Gus above ..

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Like a lot of folks here I lived through the DMR bible thread right from the beginning. It was an epic thread with a wealth of information. The bad news is that a couple of bad apples towards the end spoiled the bunch. The good news is that we now have this forum which really embodies the spirit of that thread. Helpful, knowledgeable advice delivered in a non-confrontational, non-argumentative spirit... just the right mix for my taste.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David and Woody i agree David were all here now and that is what Jack and i should have done years ago. Oh well live and learn

Peter been called much worse and than i have not been called at all:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

No worries mate:thumbs:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm pretty sure I have a mirror of the FM DMR thread somewhere. It would need a bit of massaging to turn into a coherent set of web pages, and I'm not sure if there are any rights complications. Fred Miranda for instance owns the styling of his site. Plus, I'm pretty sure it was originally removed from FM because this was requested...

PeterA

I think that each page can be extracted and put into a standard text document Jan.. if you have a copy I would be glad to try and sort this out - it wouldn't look anythign like his site when it was finished..

it would be great to have this as a document - maybe a nice sticky 'attachment' for teh R forum in here? :)

Cheers
Pete

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I think that each page can be extracted and put into a standard text document Jan.. if you have a copy I would be glad to try and sort this out - it wouldn't look anythign like his site when it was finished..

it would be great to have this as a document - maybe a nice sticky 'attachment' for teh R forum in here? :)

Cheers
Pete
The only copyright notice I could find on FM's site is this one:
Do not violate copyright laws, or misrepresent someone else's work as your own. You may not use or publish any of the photographs displayed on these pages without express permission from the original photographer. No exceptions.
So I suppose the trouble is not in the form or shape - after all, that is a preset from the Forum Software, but the images displayed in the thread. I suppose one could approach the owners of those images for permission.

Guy Mancuso

I'm the one that pulled it , no one else. The only issue would be images and that part we might be able to get permissions. At least everything I said is fine and probably others on this forum as well. I guess Jack and i could ask our attorney about it. Not sure guys would be nice if it was together in a document at least