The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Durability of different Leica M finishes

Dear all,

I like the black paint finish, but have been seeing many used lenses with quite obvious paint loss. Would you suggest Chrome finish is more durable for daily uses?

Thanks for your advice.
Best,

Steve

jonoslack

Dear all,

I like the black paint finish, but have been seeing many used lenses with quite obvious paint loss. Would you suggest Chrome finish is more durable for daily uses?

Thanks for your advice.
Best,

Steve
The finish is, but they are quite a bit heavier.

Atually there are two different "black" finish, one is the "black anodized", lighter, because the outer part of the barrel is mostly aluminium, and an other is the "black paint" which is actually laquered on top of brass, and therefore is as heavy as the "silver" version.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Besides being heavier and a bit more durable, the silver lenses can scuff and do show wear.
The black paint wears to a brass which looks pretty good. The black anodized wears to aluminum which I think looks less good then the black paint over brass.

As Jono says, all the brass body lenses are heavier.
-bob

Last edited:
Thank you all, including stephengilbert.

I just checked the leica site for 50mm cron. The black anodized one weights 240g, and the silver chrome one weights 335g.

-Steve