The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summarit 5cm f/1.5 + M8

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had a summarit for the last 2 years. Mine had some bad cleaning marks and my photos were really affected, so it sat in a cupboard. I had been planning to have mine re-coated, but have not gotten around to it. In fact, I just sold it last week to someone who was looking for parts. Mine had an excellent body on it.

When I first got mine and was trying to figure out how to get it re-coated, a forum member from another forum (who also is a member here), gave me these two names: http://okvintagecamera.com/ (Russia) and
http://www.kamera-service.info/ (Netherlands).
Good luck.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Guy -- 995 sounds like a bit much for a Summarit...I think mine was under 400...granted, the front coatings are a mess, but these tend not to be expensive unless they are immaculate.

Anyway, I have not used mine much on the M8, but it is very low contrast, fuzzy, and generally flattering...it gets sharper by 5.6. Here is a film shot with it wide open:

gero

it does not show the normal use but I tried it yesterday with the DMR (I don't see to much the effect of the marks but thanks for the information, I'll try to have them recoated just to preserve the life of it)

Last edited:

gero

This is a radioactive lens with scratches in the front summicron f=5cm 1:2

I don't know if the images are any good but just to use it is grate. Will I die though?

Last edited:

gero

I am trying to compare all the 50's that I have so I took some pictures with the noctilux today hope you don't mind that I post them here

Last edited:

gero

Suart, I see that you are selling all your Leica:(

I am just starting to get to know all the lenses and think that the combination of the R & M is a very rich combination and think that I have hit a place where I can rest for a while. I am waiting for full frame sensors for both though.

Your pictures from Iceland are grate and I enjoyed your web page.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the compliments gero. Don't worry, I still have plenty of Leica stuff! I am mostly selling the Leica R stuff, along with some lenses which are unnecessary or underused (like my dad's 28/2.8 because I already have the 28/2). I have no intention of getting rid of all of it.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Keep them coming, Gero. I'm enjoying the different renderings of your 50's. Is the summitar bokeh always so "bold"?

Stuart Richardson

Gero -- I honestly think you are on to something here. Bokeh alone is not that interesting, but by combining it with the butterfly, I think you are onto something. This is not something I have seen before, and if you were to print them large, I think you might find a buyer.