The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summarit 5cm f/1.5 + M8

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here are a few shots form the 50mm/1.5 Summarit on the M8, quickly processed.

In this image I see for the first time qualities from my M8 that I get from the DMR. Here is the full frame. This one at f/2.8 (if I remember correctly).

Image is so-so but a crop helps, perhaps along these lines.

This one exhibits the swirly bo-ke that sometimes works very well in some images. Wide open at 1.5

Seascape

I sampled a Summarit, and the swirlies were a bit too much for me, especially wide open.

Finished up settling for the 50 Summilux pre-ASPH......nice bokeh, and a little easier on the eye. It is a bit more expensive however.:)

irakly

how did you solve a filter problem? your color pics look like they were shot with a UV/IR-cut filter. if this is possible, i will buy this lens tomorrow. i like swirlies :)

R

Rogwp

how did you solve a filter problem? your color pics look like they were shot with a UV/IR-cut filter. if this is possible, i will buy this lens tomorrow. i like swirlies :)
I used 2 stepping rings, both easily obtained. First a step-up from 41 - 46, and then a step-down 46 - 43. I use a Leica 43 UV/IR filter with a 43mm lens hood from HeavyStars (Flea bay dealer). Roger

cmb_

Irakly, I am not using an IR-cut filter. The color images in this thread are processed in C1-4 with the generic M8 profile. When I have shots with people and magenta clothes then I use Jamie's profile (or convert to B/W).

Someone on LUF went through the trouble to convert an original filter made for the Summarit to an IR-cut filter by removing the glass and having an IR-cut he had ground to fit and placed in the original holder. Here is a link to that post (it is on the German side):
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/menschen/36911-summarit-1-5-5cm-macht-es-duftig.html

You can find filters originally made for the Summarit on eBay and in some of the shops. Many are snap on but you can also find screw-in ones as well.

My Summarit is an M mount version and it is in very good condition. You probably know this already but the coating is very soft and if there are any cleaning marks or a slight bit of haze then the image quality is rather degraded. You need to find a clean copy.

R

Rogwp

Thanks for the welcome.
This version I really like - care to share your technique?

[/QUOTE]

For your interest, here is a recent photo taken wide open with my copy of the lens (screw mount, 1953)
Roger

irakly

I used 2 stepping rings, both easily obtained. First a step-up from 41 - 46, and then a step-down 46 - 43. I use a Leica 43 UV/IR filter with a 43mm lens hood from HeavyStars (Flea bay dealer). Roger
thanks! so, it is 41, not 41.5, right?

R

Rogwp

thanks! so, it is 41, not 41.5, right?
Hi Irakly
Yes it's 41mm, if I had an E46 filter I would have used it on the stepping ring directly, but i already had an E43. Love your work BTW, follow you on one of the other forums. Roger

irakly

Hi Irakly
Yes it's 41mm, if I had an E46 filter I would have used it on the stepping ring directly, but i already had an E43. Love your work BTW, follow you on one of the other forums. Roger
thanks! 41 is kinky...

gero

My Summarit is an M mount version and it is in very good condition. You probably know this already but the coating is very soft and if there are any cleaning marks or a slight bit of haze then the image quality is rather degraded. You need to find a clean copy.
I have the lens but with a bit of cleaning marks, do you know if it is possible to have a new coating on it done?

I'll try to take some pictures with it to show.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Camerawest has one of these lenses
http://www.camerawest.com/itemoftheweek.shtml

M 5cm1.5 Summarit, no origin engraving $995.00
This 5cm1.5 Summarit #1536994 does not have the customary engraving on the front trim ring to indicate the country of manufacture. This one is likely from the Canada factory. The front element does have two noticable dings, but this lens is still a very interesting piece!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great images guys -- I really need to bite the bullet and buy one of these lenses :)

cmb_

Thanks for the welcome.
This version I really like - care to share your technique?
]
Roger, this was done using the Orton Effect, if you do a search on Google and you will find some tutorials.

Lovely image you posted. You have used the lens very well to create a nice mood fitting for the occasion.

cmb_

I have the lens but with a bit of cleaning marks, do you know if it is possible to have a new coating on it done?

I'll try to take some pictures with it to show.
gero - have you used it much? I should say that I was just repeating what I was told (or have read) regarding cleaning marks degrading image quality and do not have firsthand experience with this.