The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses.

Hacker

With the M8, the likely use of fast lenses is in light conditions liable to give IR problems. Given the odd filter sizes of the Canon RF lenses [eg 48 for the f1.4, and 40 for the f1.5] how do you manage IR filter/lens hood combinations? Or is the answer to live with the consequences and best efforts in PP? [Not a wedding tux' solution with colour though].

................ Chris
Chris,

Non Leica UV/IR filters include the 72mm for the Canon f/0.95, the 62mm for the Hexanon 60mm, the 58mm for the Canon 100mm, the 48mm even for the Nikkor 8.5cm, and lots of other sizes. The only issue I have right now is that B+W has stopped special orders for the 40mm (include the Canon 35mm f/2), and the only one available is more than $200 from Rayqual. But they work.

Otherwise, I will just shoot B/W or use a step up ring.

Stephen

R

Ranger 9

Hacker you are a tease. I'm not sure if it's your favourite in appearance, or it's 'drawing'.
Presumably he's a fan of the Sonnar lens design, used on the 50mm f/1.5 Zeiss, um, Sonnar and the old 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor rangefinder lens as well as the Canon 50/1.5 and various other high-speed lenses of the '30s to early '50s.

The Sonnar design was intended to minimize the number of air-glass surfaces in the lens, which was an important consideration before lens coating became widely available in the late 1940s. An excessive number of uncoated air-glass surfaces caused flare and a loss of light transmission, so the Sonnar consolidated as many lens elements as possible into cemented groups. This consolidation reduced the lens designer's latitude for controlling lens aberrations, but in the pre-coating era this was considered a good tradeoff for reduced flare and light loss.

The advent of lens coating so dramatically reduced the surface-reflection problem that the symmetrical double-Gauss lens design, which always had been known to be theoretically superior, became practical for use in high-speed optics, and the Sonnar type mostly faded away for 50mm lens use by the late 1950s, when the Leica Summicron and Summilux, the Canon 50/1.4, and other more modern designs began to be introduced.

However, the Sonnar-type lens' distinctive palette of aberrations gives its images a "vintage" look that many users find appealing. It's always a bit tricky describing such a qualitative trait in words, but I'd say that the Sonnar "look" includes good texture contrast, good central sharpness, a gradual fall-off in sharpness toward the corners, and (the cool bit) a haziness to highlights at wide apertures that gives the light in a scene an almost tangible presence, like a hint of early-morning fog.

If you're looking for a 50 that has the same characteristics and can be used the same way as a modern 50mm lens, the Canon 50/1.4 is an excellent choice; basically it IS an early (and successful) example of the modern style of 50mm lens design.

If you're looking for a 50 that gives up some corner-to-corner sharpness but conveys a bit more of the look of the golden age of magazine photojournalism, the Canon 50/1.5 or another Sonnar-type lens might be worth seeking out.

All just my opinion, of course...

Chris C

.... just my opinion, of course...
And gratefully received. I've made loads of notes since I revisited this thread and some of the tremendous links lead to great reference reading. I have a clear idea of what these lenses are about, so thanks to all who shared their knowledge.

.............. Chris

Peter Klein

Here is a picture that I think shows the Sonnar look. It's taken with a "Russkie-Sonnar," the Jupiter-8, stopped down 1/2 stop to f/2.5 or so. Stopping down just slightly gets rid of most of the "mush" you get totally wide open, but keeps the vintage look. I slightly increased the contrast on this shot in post-processing.

The IR filter and hood are 46mm, mounted with a cheap and readily available 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring.

I really like this look for certain kinds of pictures, and this is one of them. Time machine.

--Peter

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here is a picture that I think shows the Sonnar look. It's taken with a "Russkie-Sonnar," the Jupiter-8, stopped down 1/2 stop to f/2.5 or so. Stopping down just slightly gets rid of most of the "mush" you get totally wide open, but keeps the vintage look. I slightly increased the contrast on this shot in post-processing.

The IR filter and hood are 46mm, mounted with a cheap and readily available 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring.

I really like this look for certain kinds of pictures, and this is one of them. Time machine.

--Peter
Wonderful---subject and rendering.

Brian S

I've used the 85/2 on my M8 with good results, and will use it with the M9.

It is slightly softer and lower contrast than the Nikkor 8.5cm f2, and is also longer and heavier. It is a Planar formula lens, the Nikkor is a simplified Sonnar forumula lens.

John Black

Hi Brian -

I've been slowly working through the webpages a-la Google and have come across some please looking images. Most are with the RD-1, not many from the M9. When it comes to picking an LTM adapter, is one any better or any worse?

thrice

What about the Nikkor-P.C 10.5cm 1:2.5 in LTM? Anyone have any examples? Preferably full frame but interested in M8 as well :) sorry if that is off-topic but I figured it's *similar* :eek:

Brian S

The "Voigtlander" brand adapters are the best of the modern adapters. The Chinese adapters are "okay" for 50mm lenses where the thickness is not as important because the cam moves 1:1 with the optics. On a wide-angle or tele-photo lens, the thickness of the adapter is critical. The Leitz brand adapters are good, but old- and I have seen some that get banged up. I have never seen a Voigtlander adapter give a problem.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open on the Leica M9.

Used with a Vintage Leitz adapter, M3/M2 generation.

thrice

Thanks Brian :D I just ordered one!

Oh, how do you frame 105mm Brian? Just slightly inside the 90mm framelines?

zombii

Dan,
I think you'll like the Nikkor 10.5cm. Here's a shot with it on the M8 wide open. Horizontal crop. I like the color rendition.

Brian S

I use the 90mm framelines for the 105 and the 75mm framelines for the 85 focal length lens. Treat the inner portion of the framelines as a 100% view.