The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Info on 135mm Elmar coding and mount

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I forgot who asked me this question but wanted to know if you could change the mount and coding like i did with the 135 apo. Here is your answer from Robert Fisk Leica NJ.

Hello Guy,

I spoke with the technicians today and due to the fact that they have not seen one of these lenses in a few years they are not sure if the coding can be completed. If you could please ask the customer to forward the lens into the service department with a description of what he/she would like to have performed. I believe that this modification can be completed but they want to see the lens first before giving a definite answer. Sorry for not having a better answer on this one.

Robert Fisk
Leica Camera USA

Hacker

On the Leica website, the 135 Apo is designated ASPH also. Is this correct? I thought it was only APO.

Hacker

One more thing, I remember seeing a part number of for the coded flange. Anyone has the info? Thinking of getting the 135.

Hacker

Interesting they missed that.
They have missed that for many months. I'm beginning to wonder what goes on in Leica....quality issues and all. Scary.

At least I now know that I'm not missing any ASPH in the collection :).

Last edited:
W

wilsonlaidlaw

John Milich has offered to alter my T-E 135 mount with an elongated locking slot so that it does not strain the frame selector but will bring up the 28/90 frames on an M8, when over-rotated. He will also mill the coding recesses so that they line up with the LED's in the over-rotated position. I will then code it as an Elmarit-M 135/2.8.

Wilson

EricC

Maybe I am missing something, but why are codes needed for 135mm?
It is to allow the focal length of the lens to be shown in the exif data so that the specific focal length of the lens used for that particular shot can be seen at a later date.

Eric

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John Milich has offered to alter my T-E 135 mount with an elongated locking slot so that it does not strain the frame selector but will bring up the 28/90 frames on an M8, when over-rotated. He will also mill the coding recesses so that they line up with the LED's in the over-rotated position. I will then code it as an Elmarit-M 135/2.8.

Wilson
How does the current slot strain the frame selector?

W

wilsonlaidlaw

How does the current slot strain the frame selector?
John,

I am not using the current locking slot but releasing the lock and over-rotating my Tele-Elmar 135 on my M8, to bring up the 28/90 frame lines instead of 24/35 (it would be 35/135 on a film M). At distance the 90 frame lines are nearer to a theoretical 105-110 mm, so are quite usable as a frame line for a 135. I assume that the 135 T-E must have been designed with this possibility in mind, as it has an extended rangefinder cam mating area. John Milich has offered to extend my locking slot so that a) I will not need to release the lock again to over rotate and b) so that the extended locking stop forms the end position of the lens rather than sitting against the frame change mechanism, as it does at present, when over-rotated. He will then mill the coding recesses in the position so that they sit over the LED's in the over-rotated position.

Wilson