The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FYI: LR3.4 Beta has S2 lens Profiles

fotografz

Just tried the LightRoom 3.4 Beta which has a lens profile section that now includes the S2 Lenses. It actually works pretty decently.

-Marc

Last edited:

Terry

do you have any idea what additional new cameras are covered in the beta (release notes?)

Paratom

so what is mainly corrected? Ca or distorsion or both-where can you find/see benefits from the correction?

fotografz

so what is mainly corrected? Ca or distorsion or both-where can you find/see benefits from the correction?
Both are listed. You can toggle the check button to see the effect ... I noticed some distortion correction with the 70 shot I tried it on. I only played with it for a few minutes.

It's just a beta release version, so not finalized yet.

-Marc

fotografz

Just looked at the release notes. The S35, 70, and 120 are profiled ... evidently, the S180 is perfect :ROTFL:

-Marc

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Just looked at the release notes. The S35, 70, and 120 are profiled ... evidently, the S180 is perfect :ROTFL:

-Marc
Actually.... it is. :)

The 35 shows the most correction, the 70 just a tad and the 120 is an almost imperceptible difference. Since the 180 has 0% distortion, no vignetting wide-open and no CA, I guess they figured there was no point in correcting it.

David

fotografz

Actually.... it is. :)

The 35 shows the most correction, the 70 just a tad and the 120 is an almost imperceptible difference. Since the 180 has 0% distortion, no vignetting wide-open and no CA, I guess they figured there was no point in correcting it.

David
I haven't tried the 35 yet. Quite frankly, while I can see the effect on the 70 by toggling the check button, I'm not quite sure why it needs correcting. :confused:

It seems to be just stretching the edges on the long sides a little bit, but the straight lines remain the same as does the clarity. I'm seeing zero CA correction on my sample images.

The ONLY thing I occasionally get is a tiny bit of purple fringing on things like thin chrome strips with specular highlights ... and even then, not all the time. The LR3.4 CA correction on the 70 didn't do much to mitigate it.

Interestingly, when you enable the lens corrections the De-fringe option is gone. I wonder if you apply that separately, and then do the lens corrections if is still De-fringes it ... isn't purple fringing more about the sensor than lens CA?

As a side note, my pal Irakly was over and we were playing with a couple of shots (he's the one that alerted me about the corrections in LR3.4). We were discussing the similar tendency toward magenta with both the M9 and S2, and were speculating on how the embedded profile in LR might need a bit of tweaking.

David, didn't you write a profile for the S2 or something?

Love this camera BTW !!!!! Irakly and I are going to do some shots of his vintage watches with the S2/120 soon.

Also, he showed me a really cool sharpening technique he worked up for his M9 shots, and we tried it on the S2 ... it is specifically for prints, and it really worked well after some trial and error to apply it to the S2 files ... which we then made prints from.

-Marc