The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Flare wanted

K

Karamasov

Maybe this is like swearing in church, so please forgive me in advance ;)

....but I´m looking for a lens that will give me the most lens flare possible. I have a Leica M8.2.

I really love natural lens flare, that´s why :)

Best,

n00b

seattlesteve

Interesting request. Though I can't help you with lens choice, I will say it's not blasphemy to make that statement. Flare definitely has a time and place.

Alfonso

Hi!
The summicron 40mm flares quite badly when multiple light sources are available, might be worth considering... also the old russian glass in LTM flares nicely and easily :)

Last edited:

Brian S

Look for a Summar in Leica Thread Mount, use with an M-Mount adapter. Finding one with clean front element requires patience, but is worth it.

Alnitak

Brian's advice is dead on. The early Summar's flare pretty badly, with lots of veiling flare.

The Type II Summicron will have some nice flare with blobs.

A number of the Voigtländers will flare nicely, especially the single-coated versions, which are designed to give the "classic" low-contrast (i.e., flare-prone) early Leica lenses. Examples would be the 35/1.4 and 40/1.4 Noktons.

Brian S

Knew I had some Summar shots uploaded.

Very Clean Nickel Summar (~1933) on my Leica M8, used a step-up ring for the IR filter and hood.

Wide-Open at F2, "flare test"

At F4:

Some color at F2:

And at F4: