The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M8 - Contaxed !

D

deeslexia

My Leica M8 was a one off inheritance aquisition , with just one CV 35 f2.5 with screw adapter , a clean 50s Summitar , Elmar , and one sparkling Fed collapsible lens from my USSR camera collection [ most ex USSR lenses are out of phase with Leica ]

I have now added an Amadeo adapter to use my Contax rangefinder mount pre collapsible Sonnar , a J3 50 f1.5 of 1959 - in Sonnar mount , several J8 / J8m and a stunning Helios .

One bonus is that I love the crop factor of 50mm on the M8 - giving a little more reach at a nom 67mm field of view , just as a 35mm f1.8 Rokkor becomes an effective 70mm on my squinty Leica Digilux 3 !

OK , for the cost of my Autism fuelled USSR collection , with ' free ' lenses , I could have bought a decent modern Leitz lens , but I much prefer the vintage look , which the M8 seems to thrive upon .

Crazy use of an M8 ? Possibly , but I really do not feel that I am missing out without a proper Leitz lens .

Does anyone have any vintage lenses adapted to an M8 / 9 ?

dee

Brian S

I know where that J-3 came from.

I have a pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 on the newly acquired M9 now, and a J-3 made from parts lenses on the M8. The J-3 is a hybrid of 1955 and 1983 components, and is amazingly good. The best performing Black J-3 that I have seen. Thanks to the 1955 Optics.

Brian S

Maybe "easily adapted"...

This one took a little more effort- a pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 adapted to Leica mount using a J-3 focus mount.

On the M8, at F2: