The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 sensor cleaning

GMB

I am afraid I have quite a few dust spots on my S2. Has anyone here experience with cleaning the S2 sensor. I have the Visible Dust Artic Butterfly that I used with varying success on the M8 and M9. I also still have some swaps for the M8. but they are obviously too small. I am not sure I find a professional dealer in Brussels who can do a cleaning and I am reluctant to send the camera to Solms for that. I am obviously also concerned to damage up the sensor.

Any leads appreciated.

Georg

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Georg,

Sad to admit but sensor cleaning will be the one relative low spot in the S2 experience compared to all the backs you can take off and throw in the dishwasher....just kidding!

Which reminds me of a funny story told to me by a colleague....seems she had a housekeeper who for years had done a wonderful job. However, over a few months the housekeeper showed progressive signs of confusion and finally one day my friend returned home to find her usually fastidious housekeeper completely at loose ends. She called the housekeeper's daughter who came and admitted that her mother seemed to be entering a somewhat more serious stage of a slowly progressing dementia.

Sad story with a somewhat interesting side tale....my friend and her family noticed that a lot of things had been rearranged in the house....took them days to find some things. Oddly enough, when they went to load the dishwasher with dishes after one of the few family meals together during the week ( Mom and Dad worked and traveled so this was the exception rather than the rule ), they discovered another lost item...the toilet brush....seems the lady had been cleaning it in the dishwasher.:shocked:

OK here is my take on sensor cleaning....NO ONE will do it better than you. Never trust anyone with your parachute, favorite hunting dog, digital camera or_____ (you fill in the blank). You have so much invested you will do it best.

Visible Dust products are great .... the Artic Butterfly is probably the most overrated product I have used. If you really have a dust problem or a spot problem it will not clear all of it.

So first....see the dust with their sensor loop.

Then blow off the big stuff. No cans as the propellant is toxic...think toilet brush. Bulb blower and again Visible Dust makes one of the best ... filtered to keep from concentrating dust and condensation ... Zeeion Blower.

Artic butterfly to gently clear the surface.

Either Visible Dust wet swabs or Eclipse Sensor Swabs with E2 Fluid....this will get the tough stuff. Only one swipe per side damp swab no excess do not tough the sides of the well or you will transfer grit and grease. I find that I sometimes need 3 or 4 swabs to clean completely. Small swabs are fine just stay away from the edges.

You will gain facility over time...I mount the body on a tripod in a well lighted room so that I can have fairly good control when I wipe.

As an aside...always turn off camera to hopefully dissapate any charge on the sensor prior to changing lenses...I try to change lenses in a clean environment and keep the body pointed towards the floor in an attempt to avoid dust accretion on the sensor.

Overall these are tough little guys and you will not hurt them exercising a modicum of care.

I have been cleaning my cameras since the Canon 1D and have never scratched a coverglass yet.

All of this is much easier than spending 45 minutes spotting and cleaning in Photoshop a scanned image.

Best regards,

Bob

GMB

Bob--Thanks. I tried that today. After three swabs there are still some spots and I feel I am moving them around rather eliminating them :mad:. Not a lot but still too many. Will try again tomorrow after I got a sensor loop.

Georg