The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Upgrade program delayed

robsteve

Subscriber
Waiting until after Photokina. Wishful thinking hopes there is something new like a sensor, but I suspect the upgrade may need new firmware. If the firmware is done and has all the new Leica M lenses coded into it, they probably don't want this firmware getting out in public until the official announcement of the new lenses.

Robert

robmac

That and/or they've made a decision re: changes to the program, a M revamp, etc., to be announced come Photokina that could upset folks who paid for the upgrade in lieu of another option come the show.

Terry

Even without a delay, I would not send the camera off for the upgrade before all the Photokina announcements are made. €1200 is a large investment to make when you know for certain there are going to be announcements coming out.

irakly

i am not really devastated with this news. when email came, i was looking forward to seeing an announcement of a new firmware update. all these stories about leica utmost interest to needs of photographers can be explained only by one thing: leica customer relations department (if there is one) comes up with what photographers need and then this hypothesis magically turns into an axiom. Like remember the lame response to requests for manual lens selection? leica would not do it in order to prevent a human error of an inadvertent selection of a wrong lens. a mere existence of a shutter speed dial is provides ample opportunity for a human error, doesn't it? :)

jlm

Workshop Member
i thought the upgrade program had vanished, so the sept schedule does not seem like a delay, but a revival.

any comments about the possible mechanical integrity value of the new shutter, as opposed to simply quieting it?
and what about the extended warranty?

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

Like Irakly, when I saw the email I thought, wow new firmware.

While I really like the concept of an upgradeable camera this first feature set is not enough to tempt me to send the camera off. While I would like a quiter shutter and less vibration I feel that losing a stop at the fast end could sometimes be a burden shooting wide open in bright conditions. It is only a stop though I suppose.

jonoslack

. . . not to mention lens caps on a rangefinder camera :p
Which should certainly be banned by law (what a fool one feels).

As far as the program is concerned - I was also going to wait and see what photokina brought before making a decision.

hdrmd

Like several others, I thought the e-mail was new firmware. I will not send my camera off at that price for a new shutter, and I just don't think the demand is there for the LCD cover. I think it was an unusual communication from Leica. DR

AGeoJO

I thought it would be a great idea until I saw the price... :(. Well, coming from Leica combined with the deteriorating value of the US$.....