The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss lens squeaks, help

M

MannyGS

The focusing ring on my Zeiss 50mm ZM C Sonnar squeaks when turned towards infinity. Sometimes it even gives off a rattle. What's the problem with the lens, lubrication? Who are the best persons who can repair the lens? Thanks for your input, guys.

Double Negative

Not Available
Heh. Mine does that too, actually...

My guess is they screwed up the greasing operation at the factory. It seems that the grease squeezes out of the helicoid, making focus action very easy in some spots, more rough in others. I don't know if yours has "the wobble issue" as well, or if it's related - but mine does (slightly). Finally, yes - mine squeaks in some spots as well.

I think this will be the first lens I send back to Zeiss for some work. I'm debating whether or not to get it optimized for f/1.5 while they have it (it's tuned for f/2.8, the default).

Stuart Richardson

Is it an early lens? I had an issue with my 25/2.8 that I bought in Japan right after the ZM lens line came out. It had this un-smooth, slightly squeaky focus ring. It still took incredible pictures though. I sent it to Zeiss in Germany this winter and it came back fantastic. It is extremely smooth and well damped now. The repair turn-around time was a few days, not including shipping, though shipping was quick. Looking at the emails, it was received January 25th, and returned on the 31st...got in on a Tuesday, left on a Monday. Repair was 145 euro (mine was out of warranty), not including shipping (can't seem to find that now, but it was reasonable and returned via DHL or Fedex). If you can stomach paying the repair cost, I think you will be very happy with the work they do.

Charles2

Gus Lazzari in the U.S. is skilled and economical. Join photo.net, find him there, and get started.

I wonder whether Zeiss lenses routinely have these problems. My ZM Planar 50/2 slips in part of the focus turn. Not enough to fix, but annoying for the price paid.

Double Negative

Not Available
The ZMs are well known for "the wobble issue." If you bought new from a dealer (or bought used and can provide that info) you get a three-year warranty. Afterwards, you're S.O.L.

It doesn't affect picture quality, but it does dull the experience a bit. I expected more from Zeiss myself. But, sh*t happens. The optical performance MORE than makes up for anything else!