The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 Import Capture sharpening settings in Lightroom?

Godfrey

Just wondering what people's preferred import sharpening settings are for the X1?
Your question is confusing. Do you mean what sharpening settings to apply as a default?

I've been playing with a couple of X1 files recently. Lightroom's standard sharpening default is amount:25, radius:1.0, detail:25, and masking:0. This seems to work just fine as a starting point for most photos.

(By comparison, the same defaults applied to the E-5 raw files seems slightly too much on average, so I backed off the amount to 15, set the radius to .7, and set masking to 75. I saved that setup as a part of my defaults for the E-5. For the E-1, I go the other way as a default and bump up the amount to 35 and set masking to 50, countering its stronger AA filter.)

Much of the decision here is a matter of taste, there isn't an absolute right or wrong. I'd suggest looking at a couple of dozen photographs to see what settings you find yourself using a lot, then set them as a default.

peterm1

Thanks - yes, I meant default sharpening settings on import.

Personally, unless I am really spending a lot of time on a photo that I intend to print and frame, I don't go through all the recommended sharpening steps. I sharpen on import in Lightroom, make further adjustments in the Develop module (and also use Plugins), and that's it - I may email or post it on Facebook, Flickr, etc. from there. If I am printing I add sharpening for print in the Lightroom print dialog. Once in a while I do creative sharpening as well if I really want to emphasize parts of a photo.

Godfrey

Thanks - yes, I meant default sharpening settings on import.

Personally, unless I am really spending a lot of time on a photo that I intend to print and frame, I don't go through all the recommended sharpening steps. I sharpen on import in Lightroom, make further adjustments in the Develop module (and also use Plugins), and that's it - I may email or post it on Facebook, Flickr, etc. from there. If I am printing I add sharpening for print in the Lightroom print dialog. Once in a while I do creative sharpening as well if I really want to emphasize parts of a photo.
Pretty much the same thing I do. Once I'm done with the import, presuming the applied capture sharpening settings are on the mark, I find little need to do much else with regards to sharpening. The output sharpening available in Print and Export do all that's required for most images on the Standard setting.