The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 28 ASPH cron

hobbsr

Hi,

I have been testing my 28mm cron that I bought with the M8 and it seems at F2 and F2.8 to be generally a little soft is this normal, after a bit of capture sharpening the images look great? I am comparing with the results I get from my 50mm cron which I love and seem sharper?

Any advice or comments from other owners?

Rodney

ecliffordsmith

Hi Rodney,

I do not own this lens but from what I hear this is supposed to be one of the best performers in the Leica collection. This should be very sharp from wide open I would have thought. Is there a very big difference at F4 and F5.6?

I own a 35/2 ASPH and 75/2 ASPH and they are very sharp all the way from wide open, as your 50/2 appears to be.

David K

Workshop Member
Mine was sharp wide open but as long as it's looking great after post I wouldn't worry too much.

hobbsr

See attached 100% crop of an image shot at f2 about 2-3 feet away. Focus point is where the metal beck joins the head. This is as it was shot no post processing.

M

matmcdermott

At least on the copy I had, I noticed no improvement in sharpness from f2.0-8: All apertures were excellent.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
To know how you lens performs for sure....you have to eliminate some variables. (1)Focus point ....nothing in the image looks dead on. So its possible that either you, the camera or the lens created some front focus. Since most of the asph lenses focus shift to the back as you stop down (some more than others and not many complaints about the 28/2), this plus the increase in DOF could explain it. A good way to see this is to shoot a subject with depth at a 45 degree angle( a fence ). Sean Reid shoots a series refocusing for each shot and then picks the best. (2) camera motion...since nothing in the image is critically sharp..it could be motion....if test one doesn t explain it then try a tripod (3) noise ....I struggled with this on my Noctilux..nothing looked sharp at 100% ..sure shooting at ISO 640 it wasnt ....changing to 160 and it was fine. With all that said my subjective evaluation of the 28Cron is that its plenty sharp wide open but seems slightly lower in contrast than some of the other asph lenses . This gives the impression that its not as sharp but after post processing it looks great. Don t underestimate how important the lens calibration is as I could really see a difference in some lenses once they were adjusted to focus properly.

The 28 cron is famous for tack sharpness at point of focus at 2.0, and mine definitely delivers on that promise. Get yours adjusted, or the camera, it'll be worth the trouble! best....Peter

woodyspedden

The 28 cron is famous for tack sharpness at point of focus at 2.0, and mine definitely delivers on that promise. Get yours adjusted, or the camera, it'll be worth the trouble! best....Peter
Same for me. This lens is my body cap. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Woody

S

SAKIIMAGES

Hi
I own this and its an amazing lens. Very sharp and a joy to use.

JPlomley

My el-cheapo ZM 35/2 Biogon at f/2.0 smokes the IQ posted here. Something is definately wrong with either the lens or the M8/lens combo. I'd get 'er calibrated as this performance for a 3K lens would be quite unacceptable for me.