The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses with that Special Character

irakly

Here is a quick snap of a rose in my backyard, more roses and weathered redwood fence in background. 73 Hektor basically as shot wide open at f1.9:

Note this lens sharpens up gradually to about f4.5 where it is as sharp as any modern 75mm.
wow, this is beautiful indeed. do you have any people pictures?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
wow, this is beautiful indeed. do you have any people pictures?
Not yet. I'll get some up in the next few weeks. I got this lens back form service just before I got my medium format outfit, so have not yet taken a lot of time to experiment with it other than a few simple shots that confirm I love it :)

irakly

Not yet. I'll get some up in the next few weeks. I got this lens back form service just before I got my medium format outfit, so have not yet taken a lot of time to experiment with it other than a few simple shots that confirm I love it :)
please, please do. there is one on ebay right now. if this is what i think it is, i'm buying :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good move -- I see you snagged that one :thumbs:

If for any reason you don't like it, I will buy it from you.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice "snag" Irakly. I was watching that one!

More images from the 73mm please!

irakly

guys, i did buy that sucker. i cannot believe how well-preserved the lens is. this is actually the first time i am not regretting a need for a UV/IR-cut filter. this is one of the lenses made with old leica technology when they were still coating glass (like summarit 1.5/50 and summarex 1.5/85).
i'll shoot something interesting tomorrow, i promise.

irakly

as promised, i shot something. the first one is probably not what one would expect from a portrait lens, but the second one for sure is what this strange lens is about

helenhill

Those are Fantastic.....Love them both
maybe even the first shot the Most
coupled with your M8 (?)

Tres Cool & Atmospheric
best-h

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice Irakly. The look is similar to the Summarex in the second image . I like the first image. Can't wait to see more.

irakly

Those are Fantastic.....Love them both
maybe even the first shot the Most
coupled with your M8 (?)

Tres Cool & Atmospheric
best-h
i agree, the first shot is better. the second is just an ordinary portrait, no real magic :)

yes this is m8. i sold my m6!

irakly

Nice Irakly. The look is similar to the Summarex in the second image . I like the first image. Can't wait to see more.
i also found the signature remarkably similar to summarex, but in a much lighter and smaller package :)

cam

ah, my! love the first shot especially, irakly, thank you! but even the second one has very nice tonalities. there's something quite rich and lush about it...

and, Chuck, naughty boy. fell in love with the SA when i got a chance to try a beautiful mint copy in a store here. they had no idea the metering didn't work on my camera but i knew. fell for it anyway! it was so light and such a joy to use, especially compared with my old 28/2.8 (a beast). you can easily shoot from the hip with the SA... sigh. would have bought it on the spot if it hadn't been so pricey (pristine from a collector).

this is a very dangerous thread for me!

more more, all of you!!!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Looking at the three sample images purely from a "character " viewpoint, the hektor seems to have an unusual and distinctive bokeh. The flower image shows it best ....the background has a soft ..almost smudged look . With a pastel background with some highlights ..this adds to the image IMHO . By selecting a rose colored flower ..the soft glow (which would generally be viewed as a weakness in a modern optic) gives an attractive rendering. In the two B+W images ..the "character" is less apparent. In image one ...Reflection...there is very little tone separation ...this does make it look somewhat timeless.. The unique signature isn t as apparent. In the portrait ...this is what I see ...sharpness limited to the eyes ? limited tone separation ? bokeh doesn t add anything? From the examples ...I see a real value using the lens in color but much less so in BW. This is not a critique of the images as I know they were offered up as examples of the "signiture" ....what I am questioning is "how does the signiture add to the image"?