The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses with that Special Character

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ray:

Thanks for these comments. I have owned the 24 at least three times, and always reverted back to the 21/28 instead simply due to the "look" of them... In the end, I think I will do as you do for your 2 lens kit, just go with the 28 and 50 and call it a day. IF I need wider for a scenic, I'll shoot multiple frames and stitch them later.

The reality is the M lenses are so tiny that it is unlikely I will ever relegate myself to just two -- like Charlie indicated, my 2-lens kit probably will be the same as my 3 lens kit: the 12, 21, 28, 50 and 73 Hektor :D

woodyspedden

One thing to try may be the tiny CV 25 Snapshot Color Skopar. Big disadvantage is that it is not rangefinder coupled but takes the sting out of that limitation to a degree by having focus detents at three points along the scale.

in any event this is a slightly over $300 lens which is tiny and, according to Sean Reid, does a very great job if not up to the Leica and Zeiss (The Leica of course is now close to $4k! YIKES)

I am going to buy one of these and simply use it when its focal length is needed or for a walkabout kit with the absolute minimum of weight and size. At $300 what's to lose?

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Woody:

Yes, I considered that lens, and in fact there is a new "M" mount version that is RF coupled! The fact that it's small and cheap are certainly attractive, but then it is slower at f4 and from what I hear not all that great until stopped down a stop.... Moreover, if I keep the 21 and 28 I think it is unlikely I'd ever even bother mounting it...

So many lenses, so little time,

woodyspedden

Jack or anyone who has experiences with both the Hektor 73 1.9 and the Summarex 85 1.5. How do you rate the IQ of these two lenses. They are from a different era (I believe the Hektor is from around 1939 and the Summarex from around 1950) but neither are coated and should have some similar qualities. I believe the Hektor got famous for adding a lens to the doublet becoming the first of the "triplets."

Anyway my question is aimed at the beauty of the images it captures. I love the Summarex in spite of the fact that it is certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed. It produces some of those dreamy old Leica looks which of course comes primarily from spherical aberration and coma. Hard to imagine paying these kinds of prices to purchase distortions <grin>

I have a lead on a mint Hektor 73 but it is $1195 so i am in need of better info before I make that jump

Thanks in advance for any help

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Woody:

I would say the looks are similar. The Summarex hits its sharp stride sooner, where the Hektor takes longer to get there. With both, you get a gradual tapering off of their wide aperture softness, and so you have a bit more tunability with the Hektor. The Hektor is optically slower, and quite a bit smaller and lighter; the Summarex has thinner DoF and is a bit sharper wide open.

In the end, they are both great, but if I owned one I would probably not feel compelled to own the other because of their similarities...

A PS FWIW: the 75 framelines on my M8 seem almost a perfect match for the 73 Hektor, though I suspect the 90's are also very close for the Summarex...

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Jack you can do a told you so on me as well....I miss my 21 its only been gone for a week!

Irakly those are kick ass shots....as usual

Last edited:

JimCollum

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux (pre-asph.. dated 1975)
a couple of quick test shots

wide open you get that very nice 'glow'

f1.4

100% crop

stopped down, it get's tack sharp

f8.0

100% crop

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim,
Nice demonstration of the capabilities of this lens. It has become my most-used lens. I really like the Leica glow.