The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 for sports? Yes!

dude163

great stuff! after a while shooting rapid moving people I find you kind of get into a *groove* and you can anticipate the action , the large viewfinder is a big help too!

bradhusick

to ced...

The M9 is not a MF camera, so I don't expect MF results, but in the 35mm class it has the best image quality period.

The crop I showed is a very small portion of the overall frame. Printed at 30" wide this image is extremely good.

ced

Brad neither is my G9 and the fine details are better.
I think at the price of the gear they really ought to do some improvement regarding the data attached to the DNG info so the interpolation results give less clumpy looking results.
If you are happy well that is all that matters I guess.

bradhusick

ced, I think all of the members here would disagree about the Canon G9 or any small sensor camera coming anywhere close to the Leica M9 for resolving detail. If you don't own an M9 I encourage you to borrow or rent one and prove it to yourself.

ohnri

I shoot MMA fights with my M9 and Noct.

My work will be viewable at a gallery exhibition in April in Los Angeles with a book to follow.

The M9 is fully capable of shooting sports and not just distant shots where focusing on infinity and f/8 gets the shot. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Best,

Bill

ced

Brad here is an example when I said the M9 details were "mush", it turns out the raw treatment in CS4 which I currently use and CS5 on another computer is like day and night in the conversion even the colour etc when the almost same settings are fed in. Hope others might find it useful.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Godfrey, please post a few shots. I have a Sony a900 and the 135/1.8 lens for my kids soccer games and swim meets. I also have an M6 and old 50 / 1.4 pre-asph lux which I love and which I used to use to shoot for everything. My oldest is on the swim team so he is never that far away that I can't use an M6. Soccer is another story.

Several years ago I shot my oldest playing football with a Mamiya 7 ll and 65/4.0 combo. Pretty interesting stuff actually.

Godfrey

Godfrey, please post a few shots. I have a Sony a900 and the 135/1.8 lens for my kids soccer games and swim meets. I also have an M6 and old 50 / 1.4 pre-asph lux which I love and which I used to use to shoot for everything. My oldest is on the swim team so he is never that far away that I can't use an M6. Soccer is another story.

Several years ago I shot my oldest playing football with a Mamiya 7 ll and 65/4.0 combo. Pretty interesting stuff actually.
My Leica sports shots were all made long before digital and few have been scanned. Finding the negs has proven difficult. But I did find two from the Isle of Man in 2000:

Both were made with a 90mm lens. At Ballacrye he is moving at upwards of 130 mph as he hits the little rise ... You can see the rear wheel is still slightly airborne as the bike lands. Sulby Bridge is of course a pan shot, a hard right hand uphill bend at 70 mph plus. Here he's on the way into he apex, you can see the forks compressed as he brakes and prepares to pitch the bike over for the turn about another second or two up the road. unfortunately, there was no vantage point to catch the corner apex from with a 90mm lens.

bradhusick

Brad here is an example when I said the M9 details were "mush", it turns out the raw treatment in CS4 which I currently use and CS5 on another computer is like day and night in the conversion even the colour etc when the almost same settings are fed in. Hope others might find it useful.
Very interesting! I think you'll like the RAW capabilities of Lightroom 3.6 and 4 as well. Thanks for posting.

ohnri

COLLISION: Fashion meets Fighting

Want to see action sports shot with an M9?

Come to my Exhibition:

COLLISION: Fashion meets Fighting

At the:
Hatakeyama Gallery

905 S Hill St
Los Angeles

April 12 at 6:30 PM

Jump Start Art Walk LA and
See kick *** fighting photos shot with an M9

The exhibition will be up for a month but the free food and drinks are one night only!!

Best,
Bill