The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 for sports? Yes!

bradhusick

Thought you'd like to know I used my M9 with the new 35 lux to take the official team photo for this year's Washington Stealth pro lacrosse team:

http://www.stealthlax.com/team/roster

I shoot for the team using my Canon gear (mostly a 1D Mark IV with the 70-300 f/4 IS) averaging about 1500 shots per game, posting about 150 keepers.

When it came time for the poster shot, I needed the best image quality I could get so out came the M9. This got printed at 16"x24" for the fans.

So yes, you can use the M9 for sports, as long as the players hold perfectly still. :thumbup:

-Brad

Last edited:
B

Billy_Walker

Thought you'd like to know I used my M9 with the new 35 lux to take the official team photo for this year's Washington Stealth pro lacrosse team:

http://www.stealthlax.com/team/roster

I shoot for the team using my Canon gear (mostly a 1D Mark IV with the 70-300 f/4 IS) averaging about 1500 shots per game, posting about 150 keepers.

When it came time for the poster shot, I needed the best image quality I could get so out came the M9. This got printed at 16"x24" for the fans.

So yes, you can use the M9 for sports, as long as the players hold perfectly still. :thumbup:

-Brad
Done well!

JPlomley

Cheers Mike.

Sounds like you are torturing yourself...if you can swing the coin, I can assure you will not be disappointed.

N

normanchoi

Took this with the 0.95 shot @ 0.95 & 0.6X ND

Just have to pre-focus and wait for the right time + a little bit of luck :)

mathomas

Cheers Mike.

Sounds like you are torturing yourself...if you can swing the coin, I can assure you will not be disappointed.
I could swing the coin -- it's just very hard (for me) to assign that much cash to one camera body. I also have no false ideas about it getting me results like yours. They came from your vision and skill. Again, super work!

mathomas

Mike, these could not have been trivial to nail the focus with a 90mm lens. Nicely done!

Thank you. We all know digital cameras have at least one huge strength: there's no cost to taking lots of shots :). I had plenty of OOF shots from the session!

I am very happy with the ones that worked out, though. A friend of mine saw these shots and sent me an email saying "I'm not getting good sports (swimming) shots from my Canon -- should I buy one of those Leica cameras?".

N

normanchoi

Thank you Brad & dannh!

I got to be honest, I only took 2 shots (P.S. I was with the wife and we just happened to see the game on our way to a shopping mall). Actually, the other shot didn't turn out too bad either. The luck was with me that day.

bradhusick

resurrecting an old thread, but once again I did the team shot with the M9 and 50 lux asph. The printed poster is 30" wide and you can see the 5-o'clock shadow on the players' faces and how well they brushed their teeth that morning.

I continue to be amazed with the M9 and 50 lux combo.

Here's the link to the photo page:

Roster | Team | Washington Stealth

Here's the full image (reduced) and a 100% clip (click to see):

Last edited:

ced

Brad I think Leica needs to improve the process quality I find the images blotchy to say the least the fine details are mush...