The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 half cases and thumbs up poll

gooomz

just curious what percentages of M9 users rock their M9 in a half case?

thumbs up?

just curios if is should try them. used to having my contax slr's always in a half case so it wouldn't get scratched up when i set it down but i see a lot of m9 users rocking no cases.

D

disambiguated

I use a Luigi half-case, with the Thumbs-Up mod, the tripod mount mod, the Leica grip mod, and the snap-off rear panel; a Thumbs-Up; the Match Technical Eye-clypse for magnifier for 50mm and up; the Leica Grip replacement bottom plate; and the LumaLoop rifle sling-style strap.

jpmac55

Although I own a Thumbs Up, I recently purchased the hand grip. Some folks use both at the same time but I am satisfied with just the hand grip.

SYGTAFOTO

I have the thumbs up and half case with grip.
However, I recently bought Steve Barnatt's thumbie and use it over the other two.
I don't like the bulkiness of the half case with grip and the thumbs up combo.

Double Negative

Not Available
I've been a Luigi case fan since getting one for my Ikon years ago. Definitely look, work and smell nice... Cases make more sense on digital as on film it's mostly just a pain in the butt when you have to change the film...

As for the TU, I was never a believer (especially for the money) but once I got one (after having a 3M nubbie stuck on for a while) it really does make a difference. Way better grip and handling.

thrice

I use a Thumbie as well, great alternative to the thumbs up, as I still need a hot shoe.
I use the RRS plate, but without the L or Grip at the moment. No half-case any more, too much of a pain. The majority of the marks on my M9 were CAUSED by the half-case.

AGeoJO

No Thumbs Up for me anymore but I am a happy user of a Thumbie. I like the RRS plate and grip but not the L part. I like the feel and look of a half case but it is a pain putting it on and off, especially since I have an Artisan & Artist silk strap. I also agree with Daniel; my M9 has a few marks caused by the half-case... :(

gooomz

"I like the RRS plate and grip but not the L part"

sorry, but what is an rrs plate and grip?

is that a baseplate for a tripod?

baudolino

I am using a thumbs up now with the M9, really helps me hold the camera straight and still. No half case for the M9. I am using an original full case, however, for my M3 - it really looks like my grandfather's camera with the case and I enjoy that!

David K

Workshop Member
Half case and latest version of the thumbs up for me. And a Black Label silk cord strap... which I like a lot.

kavalliano

For me I used a vintage brown half case from Mr Luigi in Roma from the M8, and now thanks god it fit perfectly to the M9. :) Never used the thumbs up yet!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
No half case, but I do use an RRS L bracket with grip, which makes the camera easier both to hand hold and use on a tripod. I have a dual thumbs up (CSEP-2 actually) but never use it; it's nice to use, but too hard to remove to get access to the hot shoe. If Leica could be bothered to put a PC sync socket on its cameras I'd use the thumb support.

D&A

No half case, but I do use an RRS L bracket with grip, which makes the camera easier both to hand hold and use on a tripod. I have a dual thumbs up (CSEP-2 actually) but never use it; it's nice to use, but too hard to remove to get access to the hot shoe. If Leica could be bothered to put a PC sync socket on its cameras I'd use the thumb support.
Agree, either a PC socket on the M9 or since the bottom of the thumps up makes contact with the cameras hot shot center contact (via it's little set screw)...why not allow this contact run to the top side of the thumbs up, so that when a flash is slid into the thumbs up, you have hot shoe contact. I always wondered why this seemingly simple modification wasn't offered by Tim ( thumbs up inventor).

Of course with Zeiss external viewfinders being more like a miniture HDTV monitor, with their beautiful wide expansive views, the electrical contact with the viewfinders foot after being slid into the thumbs up, could supply the "juice" to watch T.V. :)

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Funny that
I've tried both, and use neither - and as Daniel said, almost all the marks I've seen on bodies are either from half cases or thumbs up (or softie come to that)

So - My M9's go 'nude' and I like 'em like that.

gooomz

i dont have a need for an L bracket for a tripod, but is the rss plate w/ grip worth trying? (seems many people like the rss plate/ grip combo)

right now i use a thumbs up and that it.

if i am using the .95 then i add the luigi case w/ grip for more support.