The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using Elmarit 135mms?

dude163

Are they any good?

I hope so, cos I just bought one with the goggles for a great price :)

Now I have 3 decent focal lengths for my M8 50/90/135 all I need now is a decent 28 and/or 35!

Double Negative

Not Available
They're very good, depending on the version. The later ones being better than the earlier ones (e.g. f/2.8 or Hektor). Any of the f/4 versions (which share the same optics) and especially the f/3.4 APO-Telyt are extremely good. The latter is just too expensive for the minimal improvement, IMO.

I'm thinking you might've bought the one I was looking at last week... Instead, I went for the 4/135 Tele-Elmar-M. The extra stop wasn't worth the bulk of the goggles, despite having the magnifier built-in I decided. I'll know more tomorrow. ;)

Definitely interested in your experience with the lens. Maybe we can swap stories in the coming days/weeks...

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm still waiting on FedEx - looks like you'll have to wait another day, boys. :D

EDIT: Mr. FedEx finally rolled in after 3pm; alas, too late for me to shoot today and the weather's looking crappy for tomorrow. Stay tuned. Thursday looks nice.

First impression; what a lens! Imagine the 2,8/90 Elmarit-M - but longer. Amazingly solid and hefty. Can't wait to shoot this puppy.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
So it has long been said that 135mm isn't a common focal length on RFs. I can understand why, of course. But I took a leap of faith and picked up a 4/135 Tele-Elmar-M to give it a shot and see for myself. I seem to have a lot of happy accidents and finding my favorite lenses this way. I think this may be one of those.

I don't have a high-powered magnifier, just the 1.15x and I shot all of these on the M9 in a quick, half-hour walk through the park to test the lens (just got it today actually). Focusing was pretty easy and framing as well, though the framelines for 135mm are indeed a bit small in the VF. On the M9 at least, I don't really find it a big deal. Though I'm considering picking up a SCHOO if it's worthwhile.

I have to say, I'm quite happy with the results for several reasons. One, my RF alignment must be spot-on - and two, this lens is incredible! I shot primarily at ISO400, f/5.6 or f/8.0 with varying shutter speeds, handheld. Post-processing was very minimal (slight contrast bump, resize, slight USM):

NOTE: On some forums it's customary to post the obligatory "duck shots" when you get a new lens. So... I didn't want to disappoint anyone that's also on said forums.

A couple more images are available in the Hecksher Park, NY gallery.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I like my Tele-Elmar 135, but will probably get the APO eventually. The main reason is its use for shooting more distant views, and the higher contrast optic will help bring out subtleties in haze and layering that gets lost with the T-E. The T-E also needs a higher blackpoint due to veiling flare, which reduces dynamic range (or increases noise - take your pick) and distorts the tonal scale (towards 'inky'). But it's capable of very good results.

Oddly, the lens is best suited for short-range use where its low contrast doesn't work against it. The ideal tool for this though still remains a DSLR with a 70-200/2.8, and the only thing that speaks for the 135 RF lens is its small pack size. While not lightweight, it's easy to slip in a bag and have on hand.

I once had the Elmarit on my M6, but didn't keep it - the goggles were unwieldy and they distorted the viewfinder view. I just couldn't grow to like it. Optically it was very similar to the T-E.

This is what the T-E tends towards when shooting more distant views:

The image has a lot of haze at the low end, and raising the blackpoint leaves undifferentiated darkness at the bottom end of the scale. No amount of processing brings it back, because it's not there. Very un-Leica results. The APO would probably do better.

dude163

so we had 31 days of rain, 1 warm sunset then a hot day (26C!) , then its rained again today and its 5C , man I love living here! blech

here are a few shots I took during the warm sunset
using my Elmarit 135 ( which is harder to focus than Expected :(...)

DDudenbostel

They're very good lenses and cheap. I have one of the goggle versions I'm getting ready to sell. My lens needs a goggle alignment which can be done at home by adjusting two screws.

ghoonk

I picked one of the earlier ones, and the 2.8 with goggles, and from Stephens Premier Camera in Manchester UK and turned out to be a real dog. They aren't responding to my emails so it looks like I will have to try someone local for a repair job. Focusing at infinity appears fine in the viewfinder but results are completely blurry at any aperture. Very disappointed with the lens and the dealer

henningw

I like my Tele-Elmar 135, but will probably get the APO eventually. The main reason is its use for shooting more distant views, and the higher contrast optic will help bring out subtleties in haze and layering that gets lost with the T-E. The T-E also needs a higher blackpoint due to veiling flare, which reduces dynamic range (or increases noise - take your pick) and distorts the tonal scale (towards 'inky'). But it's capable of very good results.
I've had a couple of copies of these lenses, and their performance depends a lot on age. The APO is of course the standard, but the later T-E's are very close. Older T-E's show their age in their poorer coatings which cause most of the contrast and flare problems. At present I have both a late Elmarit and late T-E, and while the APO would ultimately be better than either, I find the difference to the T-E quite small. The Elmarit is decent, but a definite step down from the two others. I don't use 135 enough to justify getting the APO.

Henning

Pingang

I have the late Leica APO-Telty-M 135mm f/3.4 rarely use on MP and later on M8 until M9 then I really make use of the lens more, the lens is very nice to hold together with a M9, wicky sharp when it is held steady. I made some nice indoor portrait with this lens and renderng of all the colors indoors is very appealing, typical Leica.

BR,
Pingang

Are they any good?

I hope so, cos I just bought one with the goggles for a great price :)

Now I have 3 decent focal lengths for my M8 50/90/135 all I need now is a decent 28 and/or 35!