The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rocking M9 w/ soft shutter buttons

gooomz

anyone else rocking the m9 with soft shutter buttons?

do you find that you really gain 1 stop in hand held exposure speed?

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have one on my M9. My M8 is naked as is my M6. I've owned others in the past. I think frankly the best (slowest) shutter speed you can attain handheld is a function of your technique and not whether you have a button on top of your shutter. That didn't stop me from buying in the hope I was wrong. Don't we all buy gear thinking it will improve something?

Godfrey

anyone else rocking the m9 with soft shutter buttons?

do you find that you really gain 1 stop in hand held exposure speed?
I always found I jiggled the camera more with these soft touch releases than I did without them.

apsheng

I used one on my M8 and I suspect it caused a shutter release problem by inadvertantly depressing the shutter all the time in the bag. The unexpected benefit was while repairing this problem under warranty Leica installed and tuned a new shutter release which was much quieter and smoother than my M8.2 and M9. Never used one since.

Alan

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I like them and use them on each of my M bodies and the x100. I feel they are a little softer touch than the std release and they improve my ability to hand hold an M at low shutter speeds . The down side is that they can result in accidental captures if you bump the camera or put it away with the camera on.

Any change can affect your feel for the camera so you really have to try one and then judge.

AGeoJO

I like the convex rather than the concave one. The concave one invites you to use the tip of your finger. Instead of using that, I use the natural "arch" between the first and second segments of my finger to trigger the shutter or to meter. For me, it is more natural that way. Of course, your mileage may vary.