The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Odd artifact with my 50mm Summilux

dmabry2010

I have enjoyed using both the 35mm and the 50mm Summilux. As I have been practicing, I am trying more and more to shoot wide open.

When I was at Clearwater Beach over the weekend, I decided to capture the moon setting over the beach late at night. Attached is a photo taken with the 50mm lux.

Settings were ISO 320, wide open, 8 second exposure (aperture priority). Tripod mounted.

Lot about it I liked technically. The lighting from the parking garage below where I was standing (I am on the third floor here) offered interesting light on the sea oat hill and the sand leading to the beach, the stars came out better than I could see, the sign in the water showed up (though it was invisible to the naked eye), the lighting on the boat on the horizon showed up well, and of course the moon was where it should be offering nice reflection on the water.

So, my issue? What is the inverted blue crescent moon from?

I would appreciate any insight, as well as suggestions what I need to do to resolve it. Clearly, most shots have more "activity", so this has never been an obvious problem before.

Thank you,

-- Michael
dmabry2010

D&A

Hi Michael,

Does you lens have a front filter on it? If so, it is simply or probably a reflection of the cresent moon on the front glass element bouncing back onto the rear side of the front filter...or something akin to that. I (and many others) have often seen something similar when front filters are used in night scenes with brightly lit objects. The green tint is also a giveaway...either using a multicoated filter or a UV/IR. Years ago shooting a film rangefinder with a lens with front filter on an overseas trip, I was photographing a world famous icon at night, only to discover the reflection of the bright lights invertered on a nearby portion of the image (on the resulting developed film).

Dave (D&A)

dmabry2010

Hi Michael,

Does you lens have a front filter on it? If so, it is simply or probably a reflection of the cresent moon on the front glass element bouncing back onto the rear side of the front filter...or something akin to that. I (and many others) have often seen something similar when front filters are used in night scenes with brightly lit objects. The green tint is also a giveaway...either using a multicoated filter or a UV/IR. Years ago shooting a film rangefinder with a lens with front filter on an overseas trip, I was photographing a world famous icon at night, only to discover the reflection of the bright lights invertered on a nearby portion of the image (on the resulting developed film).

Dave (D&A)
That has to be it. I did have a UVa filter on it, mainly something I have been in the practice to do so I would protect the Leica glass.

I will try it next time without the front filter.

Thank you so much, as I thought my lens was .... uhm ... broke.

Michael
dmabry2010

D&A

Hi Michael,

I know the sinking feeling when one feels something is wrong with their equipment. We've all been there. It's OK to keep a protective filter on the front of your lens most of the time if it makes you feel more secure in protecting expensive front glass (I know I do).... but there are occasions (especially like nightime shooting where there are lights involved) where the potential for such artifacts is quite high. Yes, if you get a chance to shoot a similar nightime scene and can provoke a similar reflection (and see it on your rear LCD screen of the camera)...just take off the filter and reshoot and see if it goes away. I strongly suspect it will!

Dave (D&A)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, the classic night filter problem.
This was even worse with IR blocking filters, but is pretty common with any filter.
Best policy is that unless you are faced with salt and sand spray, no filter is the best filter.
-bob

dmabry2010

Hmm, Clearwater... Dmabry... I know that area! Dale Mabry!

Did they have the sand castle competition yet?
You are correct! I live in Tampa, and it seems like to get anywhere, I have to drive up and down Dale Mabry.

Clearwater Beach, only a 30 minute drive from home and a world away, is where my wife and I go for weekends. We have a place at the Sand Pearl Residence, and it is a great place to escape.

I don't think the sand castle competition has occurred, yet. Last October the area sponsored the national speed boat racing. Amazing.

I attached three photos of that race. The first one shows half of the race line, shown by all the boats lined up to watch the race. The second photo shows part of the action. These first two shown are from the same location as my night shot at the beginning of the thread. The third photo was from our 14 floor balcony, where I used a 400mm Novoflex lens. The turn was just by Pier 60, for those familiar with Clearwater Beach.

Thank you all for your help. I will try that night shot again, but without any filter.

--Michael
dmabry2010

Double Negative

Not Available
Nice! It's a lovely part of the world. I lived in Tampa for a while myself and spent a bunch of time in St. Petersburg. Gotta love that fried grouper. I know, between Dale Mabry, Gandy Blvd and Shore Road - it's the same stretch over and over... Heh.

I think you're right, that sandcastle comp is later in the year... Can't remember exactly anymore. They used to drag race across the bridge too on Friday nights, but that's probably history by now.

Good times.