The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

d-lux5 or save up for x1?

N

ntran1986

Hi all,

after years with my trusty D200. I bought a nex-3. Instantly I actually started taking more photos due to it's size. I sold my D200, but I'm still not very happy with the menu system sony has going on even after the updated firmware. I started looking at the d-lux 5 and the x1. pending the sale of the nex-3 I will have enough to purchase the DL5 new. my question to you all is do you think it would be worth it to save up $1500 to fund the purchase of a second hand x1?

I feel that the IQ of the DL5 will do, but it is the depth of field that will really kill me at the time I want to get some bokeh going. what do you all think? does the DL5 cut it as a creative tool, enough so to outweigh the price of the X1?

Thanks everyone

Side note: I mainly photograph still photography while dabbling in street only on my commute to work in Boston

Paratom

I got x1 and my wife a LX5.

If you like shallow DOF I would say a small sensor camera is not for you.

You might want rather look into x1, x100 or gf1 with a 20/1.7 lens.

Besides more room to play with shallow DOF you also gain dynamic range and much better high ISO capabilities.

On the other side the LX5 works great as a small allways with you camera, has a zoom lens and does video very well.

N

ntran1986

I got x1 and my wife a LX5.

If you like shallow DOF I would say a small sensor camera is not for you.

You might want rather look into x1, x100 or gf1 with a 20/1.7 lens.

Besides more room to play with shallow DOF you also gain dynamic range and much better high ISO capabilities.

On the other side the LX5 works great as a small allways with you camera, has a zoom lens and does video very well.
Thanks t_streng

I do play with DOF quite a lot. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that the 24mm might be to wide. Do you find that the lx5 limited in it's ability to perform as a creative tool? I'm just afraid that it will be too geared towards a camera for the family trip.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
owning a dlux-2,3,4 I would no longer invest in a dlux5 and for sure in a X1.

It is as simple!

Paratom

Thanks t_streng

I do play with DOF quite a lot. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that the 24mm might be to wide. Do you find that the lx5 limited in it's ability to perform as a creative tool? I'm just afraid that it will be too geared towards a camera for the family trip.
24mm of the x1 (which on dx is roughly 35mm FOV) works quite well for me.
Of course it is not a typical portrait focal length for long distance shooting.
If 35mm is too short for your test there might be also the solution with the gxr, or the m4/3 with the 20mm/1.7.

Regarding "Creative" - I guess there are many other ways besides shallow DOF to take creative photos. However in some images it helps (IMO) to "concentrate" on the main subject.

If you have a D200 and a zoom why not set it to 24mm fixed and photograph with that for some days? Then you see if it is fine for you or not.

I also would like to add that specially the dynamic range, and the room to post proces curves etc., and the colors are things where small sensor cameras are still behind (at least I feel that way for example regarding my g11).
I can take very nice images with it, but I dont feel that I should print 40x60cm prints of them.

Paratom

some of my x1 images you find here: http://www.pbase.com/tstreng/x1

one more thing:
The x1 IMO is also about the user interface. with the 2 wheels its more a "classic" user interface like in film days. I like it a lot, others might prefer different ones.
For me many m4/3 cameras have too many options and buttons and menues, it confuses me.
The x1 is designed plain and simple, I like it.

Another thing between the x1 and LX5 (or the Leica version) is size-the LX5 is a pocket camera, the x1 not. Also the LX5 does take very nice videos as well.

Franly if this would be my one and only camera (and not a small camera additional to a DSLR) I would probably want both - a large sensor AND more than one focal length.
I think personally I would go either with a gf1 (or EP2) +20/1.7 and 1 or 2 zooms (or 45/2.8 macro)
OR with the Ricoh GXR and 28+50mm lenses.

I get along fine with the x1 but only because I know I can use other cameras as well if I want different focal length.

I guess now I have confused you even more-sorry.

jac0224

I currently have an LX5 and GF-1 w/ kit zoom and 20/1.7 and am an almost ex Nikon user. The LX5 is great for a carryall camera, while the GF-1 goes with me if photography is more than just an afterthought. The images from the LX5 are good and definately usable. You don't get the shallow DOF, but you do get the convenience of having it with you always. If you are looking for DOF, I would save up for a larger sensor camera like the GF-1 or Ricoh. I've been drooling over the X1 for awhile now, but find the 35 equiv / 2.8 lens is just a little too limiting and I'd be lusting for an interchangeable again.....