The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative lenses on S2 testing ideas

atanabe

My S2 is back from Solms and my CFV back from Finland following a complete checkup. I have a Hasselblad to S2 adapter that I purchased from Dale Photo and want to compare the final image quality using the Hasselblad lenses on the S2 and the Hasselblad lenses on the CFV. This should be interesting as the Phocus software incorporates digital corrections based on the lens used and shooting parameters. The most challenging aspect is what subject matter? brick walls are boring and will not be able to show the overall rendering of a scene. People move and lighting as well as perspective change with it. So any ideas?

The lenses that I will be testing are:
Hasselblad - 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 120, 180, 350
S2 - 70

Al

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If your purpose is to evaluate the IQ (and not the FOV) , you need a subject of medium contrast with tons of detail (and hopefully some color than can show tone separation) . You need to be able to alter the camera to subject distance so that the image size remains similar .

You also need enough light to be able to shoot a range of EV ...allow ..wide open and maybe F8 would be enough.

I would go down to the water and find an angle on a sail boat with something in the far back ground . and look for a place where you an move your position from close to far .

You could do the same thing with a model but the color separation is something thats often missed ...this is what shows up in skin tests . A model is easier to position .

Don t forget LR 3.4 has profiles for all but the 180 S lenses ...

atanabe

Roger,
I was thinking of shooting at the beach below my condo and using an item approximately the size of a human head. I will need a high contrast edge item to test CA. Keeping the subject the same size in the frame is also a good idea. Not going to test all apertures, just wide and f8 which should cover the sharpest, most used apertures for the lenses. I kind of know who the winner will be but it will be interesting to see how optimized software can level the playing field. I have been impressed with the files that the Hasselblad CFV 16 can produce when processed through Phocus software using the lens corrections.

I want to test these lenses before I sell the kit.

-Al

David K

Workshop Member
Since you'll be using the same lenses on different backs it appears your test is aimed at differentiating the sensor/software impact between the two. I suspect the differences will be much less dramatic than if you were comparing different lenses, e.g. Leica vs Hassy on the same body. I did this yesterday with the S2 and was surprised at how different the same scene looked. Looking forward to your conclusions...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,
I was thinking of shooting at the beach below my condo and using an item approximately the size of a human head. I will need a high contrast edge item to test CA. Keeping the subject the same size in the frame is also a good idea. Not going to test all apertures, just wide and f8 which should cover the sharpest, most used apertures for the lenses. I kind of know who the winner will be but it will be interesting to see how optimized software can level the playing field. I have been impressed with the files that the Hasselblad CFV 16 can produce when processed through Phocus software using the lens corrections.

I want to test these lenses before I sell the kit.

-Al

Al

To really see the micro contrast you need a subject with several shades. Tones. A really good lens will bring out the subtle tones in skin,fabric etc.

You probably also have to be careful not to start to close as inside 2m .

If you look at the DxO website you can find in the details good definitions of imaging system attributes. Even the differences between portraits and landscape ....and screen vs print.

atanabe

Since you'll be using the same lenses on different backs it appears your test is aimed at differentiating the sensor/software impact between the two. I suspect the differences will be much less dramatic than if you were comparing different lenses, e.g. Leica vs Hassy on the same body. I did this yesterday with the S2 and was surprised at how different the same scene looked. Looking forward to your conclusions...
David,
I went out yesterday and shot some scenes with the Hassey 120 on the S2 and yes, there was CA present in the shots. The Leica logic was to build superior lenses that would not rely on software processing to correct aberrations. The approach that Hasselblad took was the opposite, get the lens as close to perfect as possible, then perfect with software (their D lens series). They did a good job building lens profiles for all of their old lenses to correct for their defects and it really helps bring out the best from each lens.

So will a modern ground up digital platform outperform the adapted analog/digital platform? I think so, but the final result may be surprising. I love the handling of the S2 it allows me to combine my SLR and MF platforms into one. But the classic beauty of the Hasselblad is sheer joy. It will be a sad day when it sells.

-Al

atanabe

Roger,
Yes, a good subject would have to have all of those qualities and be cooperative at the same time. One problem with a live person is that the critical focus can be off due to too many variables - a static object is best.
I may be staring at two likely candidates in front of me, bobble heads, with white uniforms, two different skin tones and they will cooperate!

I look forward to your results Al. I got some very good sail boat, gator, and bird photos with your 350mm in south Florida. There was a bit of CA to deal with. However, most of the time LightRoom handled it ok, although not great.

atanabe

I look forward to your results Al. I got some very good sail boat, gator, and bird photos with your 350mm in south Florida. There was a bit of CA to deal with. However, most of the time LightRoom handled it ok, although not great.
Mark,
That 350 does have CA as most long teles do, while Lightroom corrects CA to a point, Phocus does a superior job. This is evident when processing the Hassey files through Lightroom vs Phocus, the difference is noticeable.

woodyspedden

David

Could you post a few of your comparative images or send them to me by email? As you know, I just got my 120mm back in perfect working condition and I also have a mint copy of the Zeiss FE 110 2.0 and a Hassy V to S2 adapter. I can't get out shooting for a few days so it would make my evaluation easier if you could do this

Thanks

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,

Couple of files coming your way. Would like to have your impressions after you've had a chance to look at them.

David