The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nexto or Sanho?

mjm6

Anyone using either of these devices for image file storage while traveling?

There's precious little mentioned about either one on this forum or FM and others, so I am a little unsure what the general quality is of one vs. the other for storage of M9 and Sony a900 files.

From my impressions, these two are the best products out there, with many of the others having considerable levels of failures and complaints.

Anyone have first-hand experience on either one or both?

Thanks,

---Michael

4season

I have the current Colorspace UDMA. Not much to tell you that you haven't already seen in the ads. Fast, seems to take extra care to verify data integrity, should be fairly easy/cheap to keep running over the long haul as charger and battery are commodity-type items (I use an iPad charger, but any USB charger should work, new battery runs about $7). Screen is okay for verifying that your image is there but that's about it. Hard drive has no shock mounting, though the provided neoprene case may be all it needs.

Feels reasonably sturdy and workmanlike but entertainment value is minimal unless you want to write your own add-ons or enjoy benchmarking the hard drive.

Main complaint is the LCD window which isn't glued on particularly well.

Advantage over a netbook/notebook is that it's much smaller and lighter and can remain in your camera bag rather than in your hotel room.

I have the Sanho Hyperdrive Album which I purchased after my original Sanho Colorspace would not support UDMA files.

I agree with the basic sentiment of the earlier poster. In my case, the Album does have a large screen (4x2.5) which makes it a little larger but still very portable. I purchased mine "empty" and added a 500G SATA drive from Micro-center which saved a couple of hundred dollars. I like the commodity component compatibility - a new rechargeable batter is cheap and the charger can be swapped out.

All in all, a very useful piece of gear. If I don't take my laptop out for the day, I will take this.

:)

Terry

I have the nexto. Fast to load information. I've never retrieved data off of it because I've never had a failure of my other equipment. It is my fail safe second backup when traveling. I had the Hyperdrive and didn't like the interface that was a few iterations ago so things may have changed.

henningw

I've used Nexto's for a while, because they were the fastest I could get. Also, they allowed 100Gb transfer per charge. I have two, and they've been completely reliable.

Henning

mjm6

Thanks folks. I've seen good reports on both, and many miserable reports on most of the other products.

I just purchased a Nexto because I don't need the screen for this purpose (file redundancy mostly) and I felt it might be a little more robust than the Sanho, but who knows.

I'll be taking it to Micronesia in a few weeks and plan to load it up with files. I can't wait to see how it work (I'll test it this week before I go!).

---Michael