The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huff: "Something that is coming soon..."

emr

Steve Huff just posted on his Facebook account this:

Just noticed Dale Photo has a silver 35 Cron in stock. These are actually very hard to come by as they are made better than the black, are heavier, and would look AMAZING on something that is coming soon... :)
What's that (silver) thing coming? The rumored digital MP?

ashwinrao1

M9.2 .... Styled like an MP, with sapphire glass, otherwise same as m9, sans the black dot, call it an M9-P , wifely rumored at leica rumors. My guess is that this is coming in June or July....

thrice

The picture Seal twit-pic'd certainly gives it away.

I'll wait for an M10 since it is probaly 1.5 years away and the m9 is handling my 35mm needs nicely.

ashwinrao1

I am totally with you, Daniel. In fact, I'll probably keep an M9 as a back up and get the M10 whenever it is released...thing is that the M9-P is going to be one sexy beast ;).....damn, I am sure it will tempt me, but I don't have the budget for it...LOL....

bensonga

Reading this thread, I just realized how much money I have have saved by virtue of owning a Leica SLR (R8) and seven R lenses instead of a Leica rangefinder. Since there is no digital R10, not only did I save thousands of dollars on a R10, but I will not be tempted to upgrade to the R11.

I suppose I could upgrade my R8 to an R9, but by most accounts, the differences are minor, so what's the point?

Maybe there is something to be said for owning a dead end system after all. ;)

Gary

P.S. Attention Leica: Of course, I would give my right arm (or it's Euro equivalent) in exchange for a digital R10....if there was such a thing.

bensonga

Michael,

Is there a way to mount Leica R lenses on a Sony A900 without an adapter? I have Leica R=>Canon EOS adapters to use with my 5D and 1D2, but what I'd really like is a straight forward mount, but still be able to use these lenses with my R8. Thought I'd go that route with the Sigma SD1.....until Sigma announced the price of that camera. Yikes!

N

nightfire

Is there a way to mount Leica R lenses on a Sony A900 without an adapter? I have Leica R=>Canon EOS adapters to use with my 5D and 1D2, but what I'd really like is a straight forward mount, but still be able to use these lenses with my R8. Thought I'd go that route with the Sigma SD1.....until Sigma announced the price of that camera. Yikes!
Is this about how to spend the money you saved with your R8? :D

Jerry_R

I wish there would finally appear mirrorless digital FF "M" body (ok, may be "M" even via adapter) with LV\EVF and tiltable LCD, not necessarily a rangefinder...

There are many applications - when rangefinder mechanism is useless, but quality of "M" glass is shouting "take me" :D

APS-C like supposed from Ricoh is weak option, due to problems with wide angle. I would need at least big and expensive 24mm f/1.4 - which I do not have, as I do not need it for M9.
In this APS-C case - probably NEX-7 (EVF) with native Zeiss 24mm f/1.7 will be better option.

Stuart Richardson

Wait a second Gary, haven't you gone through two medium format digital cameras? I am only teasing of course, but I bet if there had been a good R10, you would not have bothered. I agree with Daniel that the M9 is so good that it will only be an M10 with true improvements that will tempt me to sell it and upgrade. I might have bought an M9-P had it been available when I got the M9, but it is certainly not the thing I would buy to replace an M9 already in my hands.

My biggest hope for the announcement is that they say they are hiring more staff to build cameras and lenses, because their current availability and wait times are absurd. I am after a lens, and I have been told by Leica that the current wait time is one year...

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I don't quite see the point of M9-P - at least for me. If it is just cosmetic and the sensor is the same it isn't going to help me make better images. Just for show (except for protection of the viewscreen). I'd just as soon save my $$ for a M10 which may have Maestro processor and sensor improvements.

mjm6

I'm in complete agreement with the others that the M9-P will not interest me at all, and I will only consider purchasing an M10 (with requisite improvements, of course).

I find it somewhat annoying that the M9 is a less than perfect camera in many ways (reliability problems, funky battery issues, sensor failures, etc., all at a failure/problem occurrence rate that I believe is much higher than any of the Japanese camera makers), and rather than buckling down to really solve these issues for the present and future models, they waste time on cosmetic variants for collectors and celebrities.

While that may pad their coffers somewhat, it is a distraction that I feel should not be entertained while the basic camera model has suffered problems on an ongoing basis. Gone are the days that people can claim that Leica represented the finest camera available (in terms of reliability or build quality).

The photos the M9 produces when the cameras are working properly are without peer until you step up to an MF system, however... which is why I'll continue to use them unless the repairs begin to bankrupt me.

---Michael

mjm6

Gary,

I'm not aware of an adapter that will still allow the lens to be used on an R body because the dimensions are a little narrower than the Canon.

I used a Canon system for almost 30 years, and has a 5D and then 5DmkII before trying out the a900. I won't go back unless forced to. The a900 has far and away the finest viewfinder I've used in a camera in more than a decade, and I feel the color rendering is second to none as well.

I've converted a bunch of R lenses for the camera, and for the most part, they are working really well.

Certainly, the 5D approach works very well, (I used them with adapted lenses before getting the a900) but I like the a900 as a body much better.

I'm looking forward to the next pro Sony camera, and pray that it does not have an EVF...

---Michael

dseelig

For me as a photographer the only thing that I care about is a m10 that has a iso 6400 that is as good as a canon 1d mk1v till then my m9s stay with me no sapphire glass upgrade or chrome body though I would've preferred it to the painted models. M9 p are a nice way for Leica to get a few more bucks out of the m9

bensonga

Wait a second Gary, haven't you gone through two medium format digital cameras? I am only teasing of course, but I bet if there had been a good R10, you would not have bothered.
Hi Stuart. Nope, just the one Hasselblad 503CWD (CFV-II), which I still own, but rarely use. Can't bring myself to part with it. The Pentax 645D has tempted me....but only because there is no Leica R10. ;)

Gary

bensonga

I'm confused about how a M9-P might differ from the current M9. I can see the differences between the M7 and MP, but how might those differences translate into the digital M world? Clearly.....I'm not an M guy. :eek: