The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 - New Review

Godfrey

I enjoyed your review, thank you.

The concept of having a couple of compact cameras like this instead of a DSLR system camera has been in my thoughts. The X1's design is exemplary and the lens is stunning, I could see having it if only for those unique characteristics. It's also different from my current choice in this domain, the GXR, which is a system camera with a wholly different design center.

So many good choices nowadays...

Diane B

I agree Godfrey. So many good choices and limited funds or I'd try a number of them LOL. In my general area 100 mile radius approx.) its not possible to get my hands on most of the them unfortunately. For now I'm still in the m4/3 camp plus my old 5D and now just a few lenses and no motivation to upgrade it for my shooting. I'd love to try the Fuji, little X1 and Ricoh though. Even the Pentax K5 is interesting.

Elvis, just read your review and did indeed enjoy it.

Diane

Godfrey

What I'm finding, Diane, is that as I progress into a new phase of my photographic work I need less and less to do the job. My DSLR kit is quite complete ... and since I got the GXR, I have hardly touched it. Now that I have the 50mm camera module for the GXR to complement the 28mm, it's capable of handling about 80% of my needs. Once the M-lens module ships, the Skopar 50 and adapting my Nikkor 85 and Pentax 135 will give me almost the same versatility as the DSLR kit, and the base need for what I would normally carry fits in a substantially smaller envelope of weight and space. So much better for mobility, along with the iPad rather than a laptop, it's pretty amazing.

I'm not ready to let go of the DSLR quite yet. The DSLR kit has some capabilities not yet approachable with these compacts. There is potential there for work that I might need. But that can change at any time, either through my intent and ideas or through technological improvement.

The artistic constraint of shooting with a small, light, essentially one-lens camera that can return this kind of quality, however, is wonderful for creativity. That's the real joy of cameras like the X1 and GXR ...

(My happiness in the pursuit of anachronism: the 1960s vintage Ernst Leitz Wetzlar SBOOI 5cm optical finder I found in an Austrian camera shop's web listing for €80 just arrived. It's a perfect match to the GXR A12 50mm camera module. Total all up with shipping was US$145, and it's in much cleaner condition than the listing suggested. :)

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
In the end I found the X1 too slow in handling. I would prefer to use the GXR (also over the X100) because of at least to good lenses.