The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CLA options: Prices, turn around times, etc...

edmund

How about we compile a list of people that work on Leica gear - especially for the occasional CLA.

Here are a few I have heard of (sorry, details are sparse. Please fill in/add info as you see fit):

Name: Leica NJ
Website:http://en.leica-camera.com/service/service_and_repair/
Turn around time: ~3-4 weeks
Prices: CLA- ?

Name: Don Goldberg (DAG)
Turn around time: variable
Prices: CLA- ~$100+shipping

Name: Youxin Ye
Turn around time: around 2 weeks

Name: John
Turn around time: ?
Prices: CLA- $150+shipping

Name: Bob Watkins

Name: Sherry

---------------- REVIEWS -------------------

Leica NJ:
- Excellent work, just a long turn around time more expensive sometimes.

DAG:
- Exemplary work always. Might have a back log since he is so good.

Bob Watkins:
- Ive met Bob here in Chicago and he is an incredibly nice/fair gentleman. If he doesnt feel comfortable working on something, he'll help you get the right person. I think his expertise is in Arca-Swiss equipment and panoramic cameras.

A

a_summarita

DAG - flawless work on my Canon 50mm f/.95 conversion and CLA. time to complete: 6 months. I've heard other type of services from DAG have a shorter turnaround time so your miles might vary.

(speaking of which i am looking to sell this lens as my noctilux has been shipped so pm me :)

AGeoJO

I sent a lens that backfocused to Don - DAG. I called him before hand and I expressed the urgency since I was about to leave on a major trip. He agreed to work on it right away. He did and the lens came back and focusing was spot on. Both the turn-around-time and quality of work was great. I was a happy camper with his service and TAT.

The second time around I sent a lens for 6-bit coding and CLA work. The TAT was 4-5 weeks, which was acceptable but not someting that is considered fast. However, I noticed that the rear lens had quite a bit of smears. Like some oil or grease somehow got into that element, which was cleaned but not thoroughly. I had to clean it again and I was very cautious doing that. Luckily, there was no scratch or cleaning marks on the rear element. So, the grease/oil spot/gob was only on the surface of the element. The lens works perfectly now. The second experience was only OK in both ways.

AGeoJO

Oh, let me add the charges to the two services Don did. For the focusing adjustment was, if I remember correctly, the fee was around $90.00. The 6-bit code and CLA was $185-195 in total or so. Shipping both ways was on me, of course. Was I generally happy with his services. I would say, yes, I was.

Stuart Richardson

I have used DAG and had a good experience, though it takes a really long time. Same for Sherry Krauter. Leica NJ seems to be getting better at their turnaround, but when I was using them for warranty issues (2006-08 or so), they were painfully slow...months.

I would also recommend Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC. They had high but fair prices and a one week turnaround for me when I gave them an M3 a few years ago. It came back working beautifully.

Also, don't discount Leica Solms. It is a bit annoying to fill out the customs forms and the shipping is higher (if you are in the US), but the quality of the service is the best of the lot, and the turn around time for me has been quite quick (living in Iceland now, so might as well send it there)...generally a week from the time it arrives. Price is high, but no one knows the cameras better.