The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 at the beach

gooomz

ok, m9 and noct .95 going swimming.

just hate thinking about the sand getting into the focus ring, or inside camera, or scratching glass.

Paratom

In my case I would say it depends:
If I was just doing a walk and not sit much in the sand I would bring the M9. If I was going for a bathing day I would rather use my small waterproof Pana-Digicam or something like a Pentax K5.
As long as my hands and body are sand free I feel fine to use the expensive gear.

jonoslack

I'm also very experienced with M9s on beaches (with no problems)

I'd say that it all depends on the sand!

If it's that very fine dusty sand . . . . and it's likely to be windy, then probably best to leave it at home.
If it's coarser sand, or it's not going to be windy, then it's just fine. I try and keep my bag up on a rock, or on some clothes failing that and try to keep sand out of the bag - the M9 gets popped back into the bag between shots.

all the best

David K

Workshop Member
Good advice from jono. I do a lot of shooting on the beach, boat, etc. down here in Florida. The sun is strong here and we use a lot of sunscreen. I've gotten in the habit of applying that at home after I take my morning shower. Gives me the opportunity to clean my greasy hands before handling the camera... unless I'm doing a model shoot. Then I take it with me and tell the model I can't apply it myself and then handle the camera :)

jonoslack

I've gotten in the habit of applying that at home after I take my morning shower. Gives me the opportunity to clean my greasy hands before handling the camera... unless I'm doing a model shoot. Then I take it with me and tell the model I can't apply it myself and then handle the camera :)
I remember talking to a photographer who felt that it was only fair that he should wear the same amount of clothing as his models - presumably this is a morality you subscribe to David?

David K

Workshop Member
I remember talking to a photographer who felt that it was only fair that he should wear the same amount of clothing as his models - presumably this is a morality you subscribe to David?
Practicality trumps morality for me Jono... the more clothing I have on the better I look :)