The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 pricing

digibeginner

Hi everyone, I am new here but has been reading for a few months already. Been using Canon for the longest time and currently has a 5D II. Not too long ago, I thought RF system would complement DSLR well so I started looking into RF. I've always loved and mesmerized about the Leica brand and had a C-lux 1 (not Panasonic) a while back. After some research I just couldn't resist the red dot and bought a used M8u. The manual focus took some getting use to but I love it. I have now a 28 f2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, 35 f/1.2 Voigtlander, 50 f/1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH, 5cm f/2 Summicron collapsible, and a 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit thin. I think you would agree that I have been bitten by the Leica bug.

Anyway, I feel somehow inadequate with the M8u and want a M9 bad. I read a lot and many thinks that M8 should do fine but if you have the fund, go for the M9. Not that the M8u doesn't get me the beautiful pictures, I just want a M9. However, fund is not exactly plentiful but I can dig enough to buy a used one. My question is, historically, do you think the used M9 market will soften after June 21? I know this will only be speculation. Thanks for reading my long post.

Lee

250swb

My question is, historically, do you think the used M9 market will soften after June 21? I know this will only be speculation. Thanks for reading my long post.

Lee
You mean after the supposed M9-P is announced? I don't think so, not many people (hardly any) are going to sell their M9 to buy a higher priced camera that only features cosmetic upgrades.

Sure there will be some, those that dare not use their current M9 because they are scared of scratching it so will want a chrome finish, but then they will find something else to stop them using their M9-P. I think the popularity of the M9 is that most people are using it, and it isn't an ornament. So the second hand market isn't going to be much different than it is now.

Steve

Godfrey

Heck, even film M prices have hardly budged since 2002 .. And lenses have gotten more expensive. Buy when you can afford one, that's all.

Paratom

Lee,
it depends on your patience.
I dont know when the M9 scuccessor will come but personally if I didnt allready have an M9 and had a M8u I would probably not buy an M9 today. However even after announcement whenever it will come it will take some months until prices go down (at least this was the case with the M8)
If the resolution works for you and if you dont need wider FOV I find the M8u a great camera.

patk

newbie here myself. i managed to find a "return" m9 for $5990 - full warranty - from an authorized dealer. it was a lucky find, but the point is that it was available. i'm now seeing used m9's occasionally available through respectable retailers that are in the $5800 range. today even keh has some used m9s. with nothing to back me up, i suspect it's the fact of greater availability of the m9 that's behind a slight price drop, not the impending arrival of the m9-p.

digibeginner

Yeah, I do see used M9's coming up at around the $6000 range at different dealers and websites here and there. I enjoy my M8u but will definitely upgrade someday. $6000 is still a lot of money for me so I will start saving and be patient while using my M8u. I am just curious as to what price range it will settle at. Maybe it will be more relevant when M10 comes out rather than M9-P.

David K

Workshop Member
One thing is for sure... prices on the M9 will go down. How fast and how far is a guess. I know a number of M9 shooters who have already decided to sell their cameras in anticipation of this new one. When the M9-P is readily available I suspect quite a few others will be trading theirs. If I were in the market for an M9 I'd probably let a few dealers know that I'm looking for a used one.

ramosa

Buying a used M9 isn't a simple matter. The new price is $6995. But KEH has "like new" for $6799 and "like new -" for $6599. I, for one, would not get a used M9 to save that little. Moreover, while KEH is a fine reseller, I would prefer a solid and clean warranty of a new M9. That's just how I see it ...

AGeoJO

Personally, I would not buy a used M9 for more than $5,500-$5,700 at this point regardless the condition/shutter count. The M9, amoung others, is what I would consider "finnicky". If the price difference is not that much, I would rather buy a new one. I would be more willing to buy a used Canon, Nikon digital body or even Leica film bodies than a used Leica M8/M9. As always, YMMV.