The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thanks for all the help with my recovery even though you didnt know it :)

dude163

Someone asked me why I post a photo a day on my vintage lens blog...........

, well for me it was something constructive and creative to do as I was off work due to a stress related disorder ( PTSD) . I chose to concentrate on vintage + manual lenses, because it slowed me down and made me be more *zen* and to take time to observe and enjoy subjects before snapping the shots.
Starting off using the Pentax takumars and Soviet helios lenses got me really into the old school style of photography, and then trying out some excellent Zeiss planars by Contax convinced me there was still a place for high quality gear in the modern world of photography that wasnt autofocus and 12 frames a second.

I sold the 2 planars and a bunch of junk from my basement to fund a used Leica M8U and a 47 yr old con 50, and I must say that photography has really helped me on my road to recovery. So much so that my therapist and doctors are actively encouraging me to just relax and have fun enjoying life and documenting the little things with my cameras ( isn't that what its all about?)

Thanks for all the positive comments , critiques and advice this last year , it took a lot for me to explain all this, but its all part of the healing/recovery process

cheers

Robert

http://dude163.blogspot.com/

seakayaker

Robert, keep up the good work, slowing down and focusing on the little things in life that are important to us can certainly make us happy.

Congratulations on finding and working a program/therapy that is healthy, fun, and producing positive results for you.

Sending along a good thought and a prayer for continued health & happiness for you and your family!

segedi

Really like the crushed chalk shot!

I find when you are in the "zone" with photography, it's hard not to be happy :)

J

JohnW

Robert, thanks for sharing your story and photos with us. All the best with your health -- and with your photography.

John

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You might consider some easy street shooting. Just go out and walk ..slowly .. I know a number of friends (including a PHD psychologist) that found after a hour or so they could just lose themselves in the moment . A key to this is that you need to do this alone with no distractions .

Best thoughts for the journey.

dude163

Whats weird is, thats one type of shooting I have never had the desire to try to be honest.

I think my 50mm ( plus crop factor ) lenses might be too tight for that, I was looking at grabbing a wider angle for landscapes, so that might be useful for that too, we shall see

Robert

mAlKhamis

Robert, all the best with your health, please take care, and looking forward for seeing more of your photography, cheers! Moh

ashwinrao1

Wow, that's awesome, Robert. It's been great to get to know you on the forums, through your images, etc...and it's been great that you are overcoming a difficult barrier in your life in this manner!

Best,
Ashwin

Irenaeus

From your website:

"I went through more of my mosquito walk shots and found a few more that I liked.
As much as the bugs were bothering me, this sapling was in a small glade and the sunlight had it brilliantly illuminated, ( It was very dark all around except for this perfectly lit area!) so I braved the bugs and took a shot."

Which is more or less a metaphor for all your photo making, isn't it? May you find yourself increasingly able to ignore the bugs and to stand tall within enveloping light.

And I respect your wisdom and courage in sharing your situation with us, with its blind-siding, mosquito-like stings and its infinitely more than small bug-like challenges! You're doing so well with your photos; may your walks and fun with your camera and quiet times continue to be fruitful!

(And I love your "Retreat, Retreat," with its lovely light, wonderful composition ~ and even its nice soft focus!)

Blessings and cheers,

Irenaeus