The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

mjm6

Steve,

I had read that they were discussing an 'HDR' solution, which ideally would be shutter speed bracketing in manual mode... It's not in there anywhere? That is a bummer, because I was looking forward to that (not for HDR so much though...)

---Michael

Steve Fines

Steve,

I had read that they were discussing an 'HDR' solution, which ideally would be shutter speed bracketing in manual mode... It's not in there anywhere? That is a bummer, because I was looking forward to that (not for HDR so much though...)

---Michael
Hi,

Nope. First thing I tried, but no go. I'd written to Leica in late 2009 and was told then it seemed a good idea that they could implement soon.

Oh well. I'm sure the folks who have had trouble with red edges will be happy with this one.

Double Negative

Not Available
...Oh well. I'm sure the folks who have had trouble with red edges will be happy with this one.
Absolutely. So far, the reports coming in all seem to indicate MUCH improved performance on this front, even with third party lenses and such "unusable" lenses as the 4/21 Color Skopar (which I myself tested).

While it hasn't fixed it completely in all cases, you can totally live with the results from a lot of lens/code combos now without necessarily resorting to CornerFix.

In other cases, it's a complete fix. For example - probably my favorite lens, the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - is now completely red edge and vignette free for me (save for maybe a touch of vignetting wide open). The 4/18 is also showing very good results. I'm as happy as a pig in sh!t.

250swb

No success with my CV 21mm, as bad, if not worse, than ever for red edge, but the vignetting is better controlled. Wide open the red edge is on the verge of being OK, but stop it down to f8 and its like a sunset is happening on the left side of the image.

Steve

N

nightfire

For example - probably my favorite lens, the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - is now completely red edge and vignette free for me (save for maybe a touch of vignetting wide open).
Oh good - so there's something in that upgrade for me after all (the ZM25 being my widest lens). :rolleyes:

mjm6

Bummer on the 21/4 lens... I had one and sold it once I got my 24mm elmarit.

I just got the 18mm/4 so I'd be interested in the 6-bit code that works well for that one (if it is different from the previous 'best', which I think was the 18mm from the 16-18-21 IIRC.

---Michael

mjm6

As a followup, I'm a little OC about the lenses and coding; I'd prefer to have my Zeiss 18/4 coded as an 18mm if I could so that at least the FL is correct...

So I was planning to use a 18mm elmarit or the 18mm 16-18-21 code, which I think is viable. Any way to test these?

---Michael

ashwinrao1

Has anyone tested the Zeiss 21 mm f/4.5 post-firmware? This used to be deamed an unusable lens in color situations, but if it's working better now (not sure how to code it), then this would be awesome!

trisberg

Ashwin,

Posted this on the l-camera forum but might as well post here too. No luck with the ZM 21/4.5. This is wide open coded as a 21/2.8.

It really is a shame since this is such a sweet little lens. Very sharp.

-Thomas

ashwinrao1

Bummer. Thanks, Thomas...it's pretty noticeable...probably best to avoid that lens on teh M9. It seems that Leica may release a new 21 mm lens (there isn't currently one on their production line), so maybe this will assist...

Until then, I guess I'll have to "get by" with a 21 lux LOL

Double Negative

Not Available
Too bad about the 4,5/21 Biogon. That would've been sweet.

Interesting too, the varying results with the 4/21 Skopar... If coded as a 2,8/21 Elmarit it works great for me. Though I've not extensively tested it beyond a shot at f/4 and f/8.

m_driscoll

Bummer. Thanks, Thomas...it's pretty noticeable...probably best to avoid that lens on teh M9. It seems that Leica may release a new 21 mm lens (there isn't currently one on their production line), so maybe this will assist...

Until then, I guess I'll have to "get by" with a 21 lux LOL
Ashwin: Congrats. D said you picked that one up the other day. I grabbed a cron from the collection.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

Ashwin: Congrats. D said you picked that one up the other day. I grabbed a cron from the collection.

Cheers, Matt

Awesome, Matt. That was an amazing, one of a kind sale that Dante had available...I got the 21 lux, but struggled (slightly) betwene that and the WATE...I felt that the 21 lux might never come by again, but there's even a Noct 0.95 in the stash...gosh!

seakayaker

Cheers, Matt

Awesome, Matt. That was an amazing, one of a kind sale that Dante had available...I got the 21 lux, but struggled (slightly) betwene that and the WATE...I felt that the 21 lux might never come by again, but there's even a Noct 0.95 in the stash...gosh!
. . . . . it was quite an impressive collection to view, I would have loved to been able to pick something out but the rational mind kept me from executing the 'Buy Now Explain Later' motto which the irrational mind has overridden three times in the last couple of months.

Time & Patience, Time & Patience, Time & Patience . . . . . repeat a thousand times is a mantra I must use when visiting Glazers or looking on-line.

Stuart Richardson

Worked fine for me.

Bummed that they didn't include bracketing when shooting manually.
It's included, it is just not in the menu system. The way you do it is find out your base exposure, take a photo, and then turn the shutter wheel one click take another photo, then two clicks the other way and take another photo. That is 1/2 stop shutter bracketing. You can also do it with the aperture ring, if you want to get fancy.

Double Negative

Not Available
It's included, it is just not in the menu system. The way you do it is find out your base exposure, take a photo, and then turn the shutter wheel one click take another photo, then two clicks the other way and take another photo. That is 1/2 stop shutter bracketing. You can also do it with the aperture ring, if you want to get fancy.
Hehehe. :D