Site Sponsors
Page 115 of 295 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,750 of 14717

Thread: Fun w/Digital M Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

re: Fun w/Digital M Images

Terrific set, Andrew. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andrew, nice shots from the 28mm! Boy, you go through quite a few lenses in one short stop over ;-) I'm too lazy to do that.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Back to what I have..M8/cron28 asph and the wife..

You always have the best!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more with ZM18 from the Canadian badlands...

L9992652 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

L9992675 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Stunning work, people...it's been a while but wanted to share one...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    One from this morning.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar @f2.5:
    Ashwin, Lloyd...two diverse and wonderful captures. One of the reasons I prefer visuals to figures!!

And a big thanks to the both of you.

Excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, that's the funniest picture I've seen in a while XD GREAT capture The shot of the kid and his bike is quite nice too!

Lloyd, that 6-shot panorama is gorgeous... the colours, the depth!
    Tying into that, Gary, I really like those two you posted... I wish I had an eye for landscapes.

Andrew, I wish I could capture Hong Kong as you did. I'm always afraid of taking cityscapes and landscapes... I don't know how to shoot them. I'm having a ton of trouble shooting people as well, they're just not as friendly as they are in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

This is usually the first site I check in the morning because of the quality work posted here. Amazing stuff, really, because of the diverse interests of the photogs here. Too many great shots to single anyone out so I will say "awesome shots" to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much to say this time... well... I've got lots to say, just don't want to bore anyone XD AND I'm always short on time when I'm travelling.

I'll tell each photo's story as they appear, I guess.

Being a little scared of getting yelled at by the people I photograph, I decided to try my hand at scalefocusing and estimating distance... "shooting from the hip". I don't like the idea of it, though I must say, it's kinda fun, you never know what you're gonna get. Architecture school definitely helps with judging the distance between me and my subjects!

I took a trip to Mong Kok with my dad today. One of my favourite places. You can find everything there! I love the stores and street markets, but I like people watching the best. It's a little bit of a tourist trap there, so it's amusing watching the street vendors charge outrageously high prices for cheap goods whenever tourists come around. If anyone ever goes to Hong Kong and decides to visit Mong Kok, always ask for a discount. "What's the lowest you can go?" memorize that. I also decided to take a few photos of this one tourist who kept getting overcharged :P

There was also a block of buildings being torn down... probably to make way for a new shopping complex.

it's always this crowded on the subways... and everyone's on their phones (yes, they get signal in their subway system). Cell phones have always been a major thing in Hong Kong... everyone wants the latest and greatest... though, everyone just ends up with the same phone. Brand name goods are a status symbol there. You don't have to have good taste in fashion and tech, just expensive taste. If you can't afford it, at least follow the trend.
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickCheung View Post
    Ashwin, your sports photography always amazed me. Hillary and I keep saying that you take better shots than the players in the game you're shooting! Your ability to focus fast lenses on fast-moving subjects leaves me in awe.
    LOL, thanks, Patrick, and so happy to hear how you and Hilary inspire each other. I have learned to focus and compose rather quickly with my M lenses. It has taken getting to know my lenses and camera well. I am acutally doing a bit of re-learning, given that I sold my 1st M9 body off to David (Hosermage) and my 2nd body is a bit different in focussing. I'll get there....

Thanks for your kind words!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A test shot - after modifying this lens to focus to 0.75m on the Leica M9.

1935 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f2, wide-open. "hacked" into Leica mount using a 1955 Jupiter-8 focus mount.

1m standard.

New close-focus.

Well, I had fun with it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Brian. That first one is terrific. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou, makes all of the filing and polishing worthwhile!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely, Brian. I really enjoy the look of the old sonnars, with that signature bokeh! Great stuff, and well seen/processed.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou.

I will do a Summar/Sonnar Shoot-out soon. I found a Summar with near perfect glass, like this Sonnar.

75 years late... But will be an interesting comparison on the M9.

Post Thanks / Like

XD Ashwin, I need to learn how to focus efficiently on my M... still subjects are simple, moving subjects, on the other hand...

:P Such an interesting hack, Brian... I always wonder how you began doing these things! The results are lovely

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, Lloyd...two diverse and wonderful captures. One of the reasons I prefer visuals to figures!!

And a big thanks to the both of you.

Excellent.
    Rayyan sir, I'm grateful, my friend. :thumb up: And a Plus One on that basketball shot, Ashwin.

Lloyd, that 6-shot panorama is gorgeous... the colours, the depth!
    Tying into that, Gary, I really like those two you posted... I wish I had an eye for landscapes.

Andrew, I wish I could capture Hong Kong as you did. I'm always afraid of taking cityscapes and landscapes... I don't know how to shoot them. I'm having a ton of trouble shooting people as well, they're just not as friendly as they are in Canada.
    Thanks Patrick. I appreciate your appreciation. Also, and excellent set from the trip down to Mong Kok. (and good catch... I'm mean coming up with an excuse for the photos of the young blonde. ) I really like the b/w conversions here as well.

Also. Big plus one on the shots in the Badlands, Gary. Jump right off the page.

Post Thanks / Like

here is my last of the flying shots, I like this one, focus point was her feet

http://dude163.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 + Nocti @ f.95

Post Thanks / Like

nocti lust

Post Thanks / Like

XD Lloyd, you caught me! Well, without Hillary around, I need to find other pretty girls to photograph, am I right?

Rob, I love how the focus point is at her feet... you don't normally see something like that, but it's kinda cool... after all, she used her feet to get up that high into the air!

Went back to Mong Kok today, came back with a few photos, and a new toy Will post more after they're processed!

Post Thanks / Like

Had a pretty good day today Went to visit the Kowloon Walled City, where my Dad used to live... then back to Mong Kok to explore the rest of it!

The Kowloon Walled City is rather interesting. A prof of mine gave a lecture on it and it captivated me. It's been demolished and turned into a park now, which is a shame. I wish I took better notes on that lecture because I forgot most of what was said about it. Well, I remember bits and pieces... though I feel as if I don't know enough about it to share on the topic. Maybe Hillary took better notes than I did and can give a little insight into this beautiful little heterotopia?

My father lived across the street from the Walled City (which was more of a block than a city), the place he lived in was a low rise apartment. "Block 23" if I picked up correctly (my cantonese isn't the best). He could pinpoint exactly where it was, though it's not there anymore. It's been replaced by a high rise residential unit. A few places in the area are starting to be replaced as well. A modern mall popped up a few blocks away from the Walled City, though the area remains much the same as it was when my dad left it.

The above isn't the best photo, though... it's kinda cool. Those cages are now illegal, but they used to serve as outdoor rooms for large families living in the small apartments. I'm currently staying in an apartment that's aproximately 700 square feet... the apartments in the Walled City area are much smaller than that. Though, families of 8 (like my dad's) inhabited those apartments. During the hot summers, people would sleep in those cages. They're illegal now because no one wants to put in the effort to repair and maintain them, they'll eventually fall with age.

Many of the stores in the area still remain! My father showed me a few of them, but the one that made him the happiest is the bakery he used to go to. He loved the eggtarts they made there

And this shot was taken at a restaurant about a block away from where my dad used to live. He also loved eating here. The place is apparently famous for it's squid balls and noodles. They're kinda like meatballs but made with squid meat. We ordered Squid Ball noodle soup and a bottle of pop for everyone, shared a plate of deep fried fish skin (a must have if any of you visit an asian noodle house) and a plate of veggies.

Mong Kok was pretty cool. It's extremely diverse. You can find anything there, technology, clothes, shoes, jewellery, pets, plants, and food. It's pretty much a tourist trap and major shopping area for mainland china residents. There are three types of people that mainly shop there: tourists, rich chinamen, and poor chinamen. I'll touch on the tourists later... the chinamen come from mainland china in packs, prepared to shop, carrying lugguage bags to store their loot. There are two types of chinamen, rich and poor. The poor ones shop here the tourists shop, buying regular things. The rich come for a very select part of the district. There's a street, about 5 blocks long, that's riddled with gold and jewellery stores. There are about 20 of the same two stores along this street. Each of them carry the same thing, and are always filled with customers. These two franchises sell gold goods and expensive jewellery. The demand for their goods is so high that one store cannot support their business, so they open more for the chinamen to spend their money in.

Oh and there's also a street with pet stores (I like animals). One of the stores was called I <3 Rabbit. It had a giant rabbit on display... it was bigger than a small dog. I couldn't take a photo of it 'cause they didn't allow photos. It could barely fit in its cage!

The tourists are mainly drawn to the district for the street markets and cheap goods, though... like I said yesterday, the local vendors usually overcharge them because tourists usually don't think of bargaining. The poor chinamen also flock to these areas, both in the street markets and the stores and buy bulk ammounts of pretty much everything (especially tech). They don't care much about the price, though they'll always attempt to bargain.

These guys were buying a cat shaped toy... the vendor and the customer kept making meow noises... didn't say anything else. Vendors do the strangest things to ensure a sale.

It made me happy seeing this scene. It's rare that you'll see a father so lovingly caring for his child

And... my father and grandma... both captivated by a show on TV. Like mother like son?

Oh. That last shot was taken with my new toy. A Zeiss 28/2.8. They have Zeiss lenses here... and for a decent price! They're impossible to find for a reasonable price in Toronto.
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A great narrative, and some wonderful pictures, Patrick. I appreciate you sharing these. I love the shot of your father with the egg tart, and that last one of him watching TV with your grandmother. The rest on good, and more than interesting, but those two really stand out for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    here is my last of the flying shots, I like this one, focus point was her feet
    Good one, Rob. I like the focus on the feet, and that rim light is killer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd! I have a certain standard I've set for myself. I feel that any photo I produce should have some sort of narrative and meaning to it... so it's always a pleasure to share! As long as I don't bore you guys...
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the shot of your dad with the tart

His facial expression makes him look like a kid again!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, he was a kid again today XD You should've seen him running around his old neighborhood... surprisingly fast for his age

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, he was a kid again today XD You should've seen him running around his old neighborhood... surprisingly fast for his age
    Hey, hey!! Watch it with those "age" comments, young whipper snapper!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A great narrative, and some wonderful pictures, Patrick. I appreciate you sharing these. I love the shot of your father with the egg tart, and that last one of him watching TV with your grandmother. The rest on good, and more than interesting, but those two really stand out for me.
    +1 Patrick. I am thoroughly enjoying these glimpses of life in HK.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Morocco.
    Between Friends

Post Thanks / Like

for his age!

lol how old is he? im a sprightly 46

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Patrick. I am thoroughly enjoying these glimpses of life in HK.

Regards.
    Patrick: +2 as Lloyd and Rayyan stated: very interesting narrative and pictures, please keep sharing!

Morocco.
    Rayyan: Very nice to see more of your Morocco series and always a great pleasure to recognize your signature in those captures!
    Best regards - Hermann

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by contrelamontre View Post
    Rayyan: Very nice to see more of your Morocco series and always a great pleasure to recognize your signature in those captures!
    Big plus 1 on all counts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the narrative Patrick and nice pics ryyan. First with 28 Elmarit ASPH and last two with ZM18.

L9992875 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

L9992983 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

L9992856-Edit by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Ah robert, he's a year older than you! still very young!

Rayyan, morocco seems like a fun place to be! :P I really like the colours in that photo! It's so strange seeing that kind of contrast!

Gary, that Zeiss 18 is really impressive... and likewise with the shots. The last one has to be my favourite :P

Post Thanks / Like

Great work buddies !!

Patrick, stunning B&W captures from the street ! amazing stories.

Rayyan, loved your wall shot from Morocco

Gary, Excellent silhouette !
    Mohammad Al-Khamis

Post Thanks / Like

M9 + 35mm cron

Within the Royal Holloway by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

From the Royal Holloway ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

and here just testing my new 50mm cron

No Trespassing ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr
    Mohammad Al-Khamis

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool shots. That's an impressive building. And it looks like that Cron works, Mohammad. Works very nicely.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

When you order fried chicken at The Skillet in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood, you have to wait a little longer. It's worth the wait.

M9; 75mm f/2; 250s; ISO 640

M9; 75mm f/2; 350s; ISO 160

M9; 75mm f/2; 750s; ISO 160

M9; 75mm f/2; 350s; ISO 160

M9; 75mm f/2; 350s; ISO 640

M9; 75mm f/2; 125s; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Moh! The BW shot of the church is so full of detail! I really like it :P And that photo from the cron looks good. There's just something about leica bokeh that makes it... special.

Matt! I'm heading to Vancouver in August to see Hillary :P If we head to Seattle, I'm totally trying out The Skillet... we love fried chicken XD There's a Fried Chicken place in hong kong that sells fried chicken breast the size of both your palms side by side (full breast) for about $3CAD.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by contrelamontre View Post

Hermann, a big thank you.

Big plus 1 on all counts.
    Lloyd, much appreciated pal.

Rayyan, morocco seems like a fun place to be! :P I really like the colours in that photo! It's so strange seeing that kind of contrast!
    Patrick, thank you. My ' s' curve tends to be a bit steep often!!

My best regards to you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't done landscapes for a while but the Monument Valley is special.

Leica M9, handheld HDR (yes, I do HDR when needed), mostly with the ZM 25/2.8 with some using the ZM 85/2 and the 35 'Lux ASPH.

Ten from the Monument Valley Richard Man Photography

Here are a few samples:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mAlKhamis;418842

[B
    Rayyan,[/B] loved your wall shot from Morocco
    Thanks a lot , Mohammed.

Gary, a big thank you to you.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clennan View Post

L9992875 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr
    Gary, content is king. You prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by mAlKhamis View Post
    M9 + 35mm cron

From the Royal Holloway ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr
    Mohammed, the cron 35 is a marvellous little lens. I really dig this conversion.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    When you order fried chicken at The Skillet in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood, you have to wait a little longer. It's worth the wait.

M9; 75mm f/2; 350s; ISO 640

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Matt, a wonderful moment and capture.!! It is becoming difficult to follow you
    around the forums.

Take care.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Between Friends

Post Thanks / Like

Richard, the second and fourth at my favourite I love looking at landscapes 'cause I can never take a good one D:

Rayyan, there's nothing wrong with a steep S I find that most of mine are too! The shot of the spices is great! The colours are amazing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clennan View Post
    First with 28 Elmarit ASPH and last two with ZM18.
    Nice set, Gary. That first shot is money!! :thumb up:

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Worth the wait photographically! I really like that next to last shot.

(BTW, too bad you don't have the M9M yet, you could have had a barely perceptible increase in micro contrast in these shots. )

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Haven't done landscapes for a while but the Monument Valley is special.

Leica M9, handheld HDR (yes, I do HDR when needed), mostly with the ZM 25/2.8 with some using the ZM 85/2 and the 35 'Lux ASPH.

Ten from the Monument Valley Richard Man Photography

Here are a few samples:
    Richard, Wow. Very impressive set. That second shot in particular is killer!! :bug eyes:

Rayyan, there's nothing wrong with a steep S I find that most of mine are too! The shot of the spices is great! The colours are amazing

Rayyan: Add my vote here. Love the subtle separation via DOF. And as he said, amazing color.

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick,

You have great images of Hong Kong! You capture the grittyness sp? of the place really well. The old Hong Kong is slowly disappearing, which is a real shame. I fell in love with the place in the early 90's when I first visited, now I go there often on business, but it is always a short stay - I need to spend a week or two. I will PM you on my next trip and perhaps we can meet and do some shooting! I'll bring you a can of Tim Hortons

Andrew
    Home page www.wyvernpix.com

http://www.wyvernpix.com/blog/ Leica Reviews at my Blog

Post Thanks / Like

More great stuff from everyone. What a great thread!

Patrick, love the subway shot - very claustrophobic and like how you managed to isolate a subject.

Rayyan, love these:

Morocco.
    Mohammed, great set. Amazing building.

Matt, lovely series. Enjoyed the processing and the subjects in isolation.

Richard, beautiful landscapes.

Mike
    http://mikewoods.zenfolio.com/

Post Thanks / Like

More from Hong Kong

Andrew
    Home page www.wyvernpix.com

http://www.wyvernpix.com/blog/ Leica Reviews at my Blog