Site Sponsors
Page 119 of 295 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,950 of 14717

Thread: Fun w/Digital M Images

Post Thanks / Like

re: Fun w/Digital M Images

I want a Nocti now. How does one extract and sell a kidney? Great work, Charles... I like the last one best

Mike, great titles, cute shot

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hillary.hc.chang View Post
    ohmygoodness you guys have done it again xD one day i'll sit down and comment on every photo that i've missed.. but for now i'll leave it as beautiful work from everyone (and yes patrick, very aeneas. i feel like i've been doing that a lot lately too...)

[snip]

I took this photo as a sidenote to Patrick's dimsum photo from hong kong - in vancouver in a dimsum place.. very different from old style dimsum :P no more carts rolling by shouting what they had, no people rushing carts to get the good food.. nope. we were given a sheet of paper with the menu on it, and we just had to fill out how many of what we wanted and it was brought to our table. dignified, quiet, and completely the other end of the spectrum from dimsum in hong kong. and god forbid - they even had english on their menu sheet o__o
    Nicely contrasted with Patrick's story. Wonderful image. I love the light here.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    XPro-1 with APO Telyt 135
    Great images, Ashwin. Love the shot of the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post

Some more shots from Tainan streets. With the 50 Nocti and 24 Lux
    Nice! Love that red door, but the portrait's the winner for me from this set. You've got this wired!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woods View Post
    The only titles I could think of were 'Marriage' or 'Socks':

Mike
    Too funny! I think either title works.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickCheung View Post
    I want a Nocti now. How does one extract and sell a kidney?
    At least yours are young enough that someone might take one.

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, this shot is awesomesauce

http://dude163.blogspot.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin that last set was amazing ..... It's one of those instances where the quality of the image jumps out at you before the content .... they look surreal ...

Charles K

Really great images from HK .... I especially like this image

Andrew this image is spectacular ....

Thanks everyone for the comments on the image of the Kid beating the tire with a baseball bat.....
    You are right Ashwin now that I think about how close I had to get with the 21 .Dangerous indeed .....

Here is one from yesterday

M8.2 21 SA
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroKuro View Post

M8.2 21 SA
    Terrific....I guess you weren't shot? :too cool:

Mike
    http://mikewoods.zenfolio.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woods View Post
    Terrific....I guess you weren't shot? :too cool:

Mike
    Plus one from me!! Wow. None of those guys was missing a finger were they? Could be risky business taking their pix!

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, great stuff. Love the expression of the guy on the right.

Post Thanks / Like

Charles :P that's one really cool shot. I keep seeing these Chinese-Triad-looking motherf*ckers that I really wanna shoot... Old men in flamboyant suits wielding canes... :P The lady with the blacked out eyes in the corner gives me the creeps though...

Post Thanks / Like

Charles :P that's one really cool shot. I keep seeing these Chinese-Triad-looking motherf*ckers that I really wanna shoot... Old men in flamboyant suits wielding canes... :P The lady with the blacked out eyes in the corner gives me the creeps though...
    If that's a lady then I'm even more scared now

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Mike, I love the image and the title!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. damn. That's a man isn't it... There was this site Hillary and I stumbled upon (it showed up on my facebook feed) called "Granny or Tranny" which was... basically a quiz that tested your skills at determining whether the person in the photo was a Granny... or a Tranny. I... didn't do so well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Drove up a local canyon early last Saturday so Mimi could meet some friends for a training run. The were heading up in to the mountains, starting at a trailhead right by the road. I had a couple of hours to kill, so I took a walk on a different trail, which follows an old pipeline, which took water to a gristmill a century ago. Fortunately for me, and my still-recovering knee, the trail is fairly level, while the canyon falls away quickly.
    All the the M8, 28 Cron:
    The road up the canyon:
    Along the trail:

Looking down into the canyon:
    Lloyd: I especially like the framing , detail and the 'intensity' of your pp here. Excellent!

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gough View Post
    Last images from Hong Kong.

Andrew
    Andrew: All brilliant! These two are my favorites.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

M8.2 21 SA
    Shiro: Great capture! Ps: I had the same thought as mike!

Everybody: Thanks for posting and the generous comments.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick, Lloyd and Charles, thank you
    Charles, great street portrait!!
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I liked Andrew's border so much I tried to find a way to have it generate automatically...

Found a lightroom plugin: LR/Mogrify 2

I can't find a way to print the EXIF data in the outer border, so I had to use a inner border:
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

The way I put on borders is through photoshop... Image > Canvas Size. Check off Relative, put the anchor in the middle square, and play with the "New Size" options. Though, he has a shadow on his, so I'm guessing Andrew made a new layer underneath the photo that's a bigger than the photo... added a shadow effect... not too sure!

Also, I got my hands on a Fuji Xpro today... It feels like... a machine. I don't know how I feel about it, It's efficient, but almost too modern. Just my two cents

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For making the borders, Joe Colson, an amazing photographer who posts regularly in the MF threads, as well as the Nikon threads, has written a script he's made available to anyone who wants it. Here's the link to his Photoshop page. It's the first entry: Joe Colson Photography | Photoshop
    Last edited by Lloyd; 23rd May 2012 at 08:59.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been feeling rather un-motivated to photograph for the past few days. I find that writing in my notebook is a little more interesting for me in Hong Kong. I dislike being restricted to guessing focus and composition. I can take near 75 shots a day and only come home with about 10 that are well composed, and only 1 that I really like... which, I guess is the life of the average shoot-from-the-hip photographer XD. I believe I read an Eric Kim article on how you can take a hundred photos in a day, but only come up with 1 that you really like, and that in your lifetime, you'll have maybe a hundred photos that you really like, but people will only remember about 15 of your very very best. That gives me hope

I'm not sure if I should even post the photos I took today, though, I guess I'll contribute! I decided to push the limits of my ability to guess distance, shooting from the hip at f2 with my Canon 35/2. I need to work on my guessing skills XD

I've been in the 6x6 mood lately... and have been looking for a TLR. I blame Hillary and her recent Rolleicord purchase XD Makes me wish I had one again! If anyone's got a TLR they're looking to sell, preferably in the $100 range, I'll be more than happy to take it!

I had dinner with my uncle today, he's the current owner of my first camera. He told me I'd have better luck shooting Hong Kong locals as a foreigner of different race, as Hong Kong natives are less paranoid about tourists than they are about their own kind. XD I guess I'll have to make myself look a little more touristy to shoot the way I want to!

On the topic of family: Staying at my grandma's place, I've come to appreciate how close my dad's side of the family is. I find that I can talk to all my uncles and aunts on my dad's side and feel like I'm being heard. The apartment I'm living with is shared by my grandma, one uncle, and two aunts... and now my family. It seems like it'd be impossible to get along with so many people in such a small place, but my relatives love it here. They look out for each other and help each other, which is nice. My family on my mother's side is a different story though. My grandma on my mother's side is extremely ill, though half the family could care less about visiting her, and some even refuse to. I've only seen maybe 1/3 of my mother's side of the family... and some of them don't even know I exist. It's a shame that it's come to that, really. I don't really know where I'm going with this, though I know that these are things that I'll keep in mind when I start a family of my own
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David, nice shot!
    Patrick, great story and shots. I'm enjoying your journey

Shots from this afternoon in the older parts of Tainan 24 Lux and 50 Nocti.

Charles Kalnins

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pix, Patrick. Interesting contrast between the sides of your family. Sad about your mother's side, but great to have the relationships of your father's side. Enjoy your time with them, it passes much too quickly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    David, nice shot!
    Patrick, great story and shots. I'm enjoying your journey

Shots from this afternoon in the older parts of Tainan 24 Lux and 50 Nocti.

Great stuff, Charles. Hard to single out any of them, but I really love this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Great stuff, Charles. Hard to single out any of them, but I really love this one.
    +1 from me Charles. You have posted some really beautiful portraits.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, Matt, Ashwin, Mike and Charles, thank you
    Charles Kalnins

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the comments guys! Lloyd, I agree... its a shame I live on the other side of the world from my dad's side of the family. Time does pass much too quickly...

Charles, the shots from Tainan are beautiful... and everytime I see them, I want myself a Nocti... and the ability to shoot so comfortably! Great travel photos keep up the good work. My favourite is the one of the man on the bike
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project

Post Thanks / Like

Had a good day today Took lots of photos and even got to know a guy here in Hong Kong!

Here's stranger number 9

We took a walk along the Tsim Sha Tsui harbour today, a place my parents frequented when they were dating. They tell me that it's become a tourist attraction now, and that Hong Kong has expanded a lot, a lot of man-made land has been added to it. The area was filled with tourists from mainland China, Singapore, the Philippines, and of course... my family

I saw a man fishing (not an uncommon sight here) on the edge of the harbour. A tourist was standing next to him, asking him something, but the fisherman didn't understand Mandarin... and the tourist didn't understand Cantonese. "I don't understand what you're saying, understand?" he tells the tourist. I laugh, and he looks at me "I don't get what he's saying, and he doesn't understand what I'm saying, but it's rude to just ignore him" the fisherman says to my family.

He reels in a fish, "the spikes in the fin are poisonous" he says to the china-man. The china-man nods, then leaves. My mom asks him if he caught anything today, and he says "I've caught three." My mother asks him if he eats the fish. "I just come here to pass the time." he says. The breeze from the water is nice, keeps you cool. It's not a bad place to relax!

The man uses a small orange handle with fishing wire wrapped around it. It looks like it's a kite handle.

I've decided that complaining about shooting from the hip is useless 'cause I'll have to do it anyway. Instead, I'll try to get better at it... I got a few shots I liked today...

These goofy guys were sitting infront of 3 bikes and sign that said "Biking around the world!" :P They say they're from argentina

Sleepy cat

I also took a look at the used Leica equipment here in Hong Kong... the prices are ridiculous. Rangefinder photography... and photography in general in Hong Kong has become somewhat of an Aristocratic hobby... with skill being an optional requirement. The dealers here acknowledge this, and know exactly who's going to buy and who's just there for a look. It's a judgement based on appearance (do you look like you'd have the money to blow, or do you look like a bum?) and whatever equipment you have hanging out. My shorts, tee, cheap watch ($150...) and M8 with Zeiss glass (has to be modern leica glass, or rare vintage glass) all point to me being too poor to play the leica game. Dealers dismiss people like me. I asked for the price of a lens... "a few thousand" they say, knowing that I wouldn't buy anyway. I am tempted to leave each store with a very kindly, happily toned "eat a dick", flash them a smile, give them a slight nod, and see if they know what I'm saying.

There WAS one leica dealer that wasn't horribly rude. There's a chain of camera stores, Tin Cheung Camera. The location in Tsim Sha Tsui at the K11 Art Mall is full of nice, helpful employees.
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great set, Patrick. One of your best. Love the fisherman, and the first two from the hip shots are really terrific. The stern look on the face of the man in each makes it. Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Lloyd. Along with the "drunk" series, one of my favorites from you, Patrick. hope to see you and Hilary in Seattle this summer!

Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

You'll see us for sure I'm changing my flight to early july so I can spend two whole months with my beloved! Just give us a shout when you guys are meeting up!
    My Flickr

100 Strangers Project

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    XPro-1 with APO Telyt 135

Can you please share your impressions about working with this combo?
    I have the 135 Telyt and it's not the easiest lens to focus,
    even with liveview on my NEX-5N. Its focus plane is very shallow...
    How is Fuji X-Pro1 handling the focus with a lens like that?
    I assume you use the LCD...

Post Thanks / Like

Charles: still loving your portraits from Tainan
    and hi Patrick just when i think you're gone for the day, you pop up somewhere else xD

finally out of my photography rut! I went to my high school's grad showcase for their creative arts department which I had participated in last year. Keeping up the standards xD so lots of really good work as usual. I always get a funny feeling when I photograph artwork, so I shot during the drama presentation. I also snuck out near the end and walked around the grounds for a bit :P

Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

and PS: sorry Rob, no 50mm photos from today, but the battle of the 50s will commence at some point soon xD
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Vancouver's so pretty... It'd be fun to see what you can do with that Rollei on your school grounds! When you mentioned a forest by your school, I didn't imagine that. We have this dinky forest near my school... twiggy trees and weeds.... that's what I imagined! The dynamic range and detail in those photos... so impressive! Hillary, you're gaining a lot of traction with this photography thing

Post Thanks / Like

If you like this forest then you should see the rest of Vancouver xD I was actually surprised when we landed just how much nature there is here.. We'll sneak back into my high school when you're here and you can see it for yourself 8D and thanks Patrick I guess I'm improving..?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, for my borders, I'm sticking with the LR export plugin because I don't have photoshop and will probably be too lazy to open it. I experimented more and found the correct settings to put the annotations on the outer border and tweaked it some more... So here's one shot of my son with his mischievous smile:

I also detailed my settings here: Automatic photo borders with Lightroom... - LeicaLux
    David Young

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

David/Patrick/Charles/Hillary: nicely done, all

Everybody: have a nice weekend (3 day Memorial Day weekend, if you're in the states)

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Hillary. I also like the forest shot - great colors. The B&W shot looks a little "hazy" - is this the result of the lens type or PP? And yes, Vancouver is a great city with ton's of outdoor activities and beautiful nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That border looks fine David. Does Photoshop come complete with a set of standard borders? I will likely just stick with the LR4 preset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clennan View Post
    That border looks fine David. Does Photoshop come complete with a set of standard borders? I will likely just stick with the LR4 preset.
    LR4 came with presets for borders? Do tell!

Just received my 50'Lux today... super excited. Here's a quick test shot and a selfy.

David Young
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary, I shot with my CV 40/1.4 so it shouldnt be hazy.. might just be PP I'm thinking
    And David, nice borders and 50'lux

Post Thanks / Like

David! great shots and a cool border :P The lux really amazes me... makes such nice images! The photo of your son is my favourite!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post
    Can you please share your impressions about working with this combo?
    I have the 135 Telyt and it's not the easiest lens to focus,
    even with liveview on my NEX-5N. Its focus plane is very shallow...
    How is Fuji X-Pro1 handling the focus with a lens like that?
    I assume you use the LCD...
    Hi Snowboarder,
    The 135 is a challenge on the M, but I find it reasonable easy to focus on my EVF cameras. Maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be a bit harder to focus on the XPro-1 than 5N, due to the slower recycle rate in the EVF....I use the EVF, not LCD, to focus it...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job, every one !

Shiro, stunning capture for the old man, liked the composition !

Andrew, another stunning captures from HK ! well done !

CharlesK, yet another mastery shots with the Nocti and 24 lux ! well done !

Patrick, loved your B&W set, amazing work, good job !

hillary, excellent captures from the theater, loved the expressions !

David, congrats for the 50mm lux, looks great ! enjoy and cheers!
    Mohammad Al-Khamis

Post Thanks / Like

From the 2012 San Francisco Bay to Breakers event with the M9 and 50mm cron, IT WAS CRAZY !!

Free Hugs! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

I am the Queen ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

The relaxation ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

!? by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

The colorful ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr
    Mohammad Al-Khamis
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick, Hillary, Matt and Mohammad, thank you guys
    Patrick, love your earthy B&W work! Very nice
    Hillary, very nice captures from the theatre!
    David, congrats on the legendary 50 Lux Asph Love the shot of your son!!
    Mohammad, great stuff! Love the expressions and atmosphere of your captures. B&W is so well suited here
    Charles Kalnins

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...Here is one from yesterday

M8.2 21 SA
    Brilliant.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CharlesK;420904]

[QUOTE]

Wonderful set Charles. And this one is my fav. The expression, the surrounding, the color.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a good day today Took lots of photos and even got to know a guy here in Hong Kong!

Lovely photo documentary by you Patrick. Maybe it is time for me to re-visit
    SE Asia, and refresh my memory of the wonderful places there.

Your photos of HK bring back very fond memories.

Well done.