The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYGTAFOTO

Scott: Just after, I tell Robert his 135 isn't a BIF lens, you post these! Interesting to know the shutter speed and aperture in the first two?
Thanks everyone.

I had ND 6 f-stop filter for those shots (was really bright outside). I believe both were shot wide open (f/1.4) and shutter speeds were 1/360s and 1/500s respectively.

Here are a few more from the past weekend (Harbourfront, downtown Toronto)

Leica M9, 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE

PatrickCheung

Thanks for the compliment Lloyd! I used to make Munnies all the time... though... too busy now.

Scott :p harbourfront is beautiful and your photos do it justice!

I saw a man playing the banjo the other day... he was really good. I didn't have any change to offer him, but Hillary did!

I also met Stranger number 6 today. Here's what I wrote about him on flickr:

"His name is James Lee. James is the father of an energetic 7 year old boy and a husband. He came to Canada 10 years ago from China. He says that Canada is better for his son, but he prefers China because all his friends and family are there. He asked me what I was studying, I told him "Architecture". He told me that back in China, he was a Civil Engineer... pretty cool :)

James began shooting about 15 years ago. The Leica iiif and Summitar he's holding is a gift from a friend. His friend bought a Mamiya C330 and didn't want the Leica anymore! Lucky eh? I wish I had a friend like that! James also shoots 5x7 large format cameras, A Fuji 6x17, a Hasselblad XPan an M6 and a Canon 5D Mk2. He sells a few of his works through Getty Images."

I've also decided to make a tumblr for my 100 strangers project... here it is http://hundredstrangersproject.tumblr.com/

And finally... I picked up my very first Leica lens. I bought myself a extremely user grade Summitar! It looks like it's been through a war (and probably has been), it's a little stiff, there's a bit of fungus on the glass... but the images it makes are beautiful. I got it for $180... I think it's a fair price. I'm willing to invest another $180 into repairs to get myself a nice 50!

This is the man I bought it from... he's quite the dick. here's what I wrote bout him on Flickr:

"Shelton Chen. Your standard Hong Kong camera collector/businessman. Rude. Really Rude. Made an appointment with me at 2, and another man at 2:30. The owner of the store next to his noticed me standing there, asked me if I was waiting for him, then told me he'd call his cell for me. He came back out with his phone and handed it to me. Shelton was on the phone, it was 2:20. He asked me who I was, then I told him he made an appointment with me at 2-2:30. He mocking asked me "what time is it now, then?" I say "2:20". He says "I'll be there at 3, wait at the Tim Horton's near by, grab a drink."

He shows up, and as I test his lenses, he keeps trying to sell me things I don't want. His friends show up, they're much like him... camera collectors with too much money to spend. He starts teasing me in cantonese, thinking I don't understand what he's saying. "Look at this silly boy, uses old lenses on a digital camera", then makes a comment on how he loves seeing kids spend their father's money when I pay for the lens. My dad tells him I got the money myself.

Either way. Rude guy. probably wouldn't deal with him again unless I'm desperate. Nice cameras though... lots too... and damn good prices. 'A man just died, I bought out his entire collection' he says. 'I buy them as if they were trash, I sell them at the lowest prices. Craigslist and Kijiji sellers always complain.'"

And a test shot! Here's the Raffy Hillary made me :)

Last edited:

BishopB

It has been awhile since I have posted anything primarily as I have been without a lens. So, up and running again and noticing that the posts here are as good as ever. Yesterday, I put the 50mm Summicron to use as my daughter played hopscotch...looking forward to posting more in the future.

m_driscoll

Did a little prowling under and over I-5 this afternoon.

M-9; 75mm f/2.5; 1/90s @ f/3.4; ISO 160

M-9; 75mm f/2.5; 1/4000s @ f/4; ISO 160

M-9; 75mm f/2.5; 1/750s @ f/9.5; ISO 160

M-9; 75mm f/2.5; 1/750s @ f/9.5; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Lloyd

Hi All,

Feeling bored and uninspired this morning, I tried printing some pictures as large as my peanut 3880 could go.

Things like:

:bugeyes::shocked::bugeyes:

Highly recommended if you need a little enthusiasm boost. We forget (or I do, anyway) how much better these things look as prints, and how something with no detail at all can look very good blown up large. It's not all megapixels, and though we all say that, it's not often we get the truth of it as a visceral kick.

And, of course, 17x25 just isn't large enough! :ROTFL:

Happy Printing,

Matt
Totally agree, Matt. Very nice image (even unprinted)!

staying calm in the midst of chaos....

cv 35mm f1.2
Love this shot. Reminds me very much of a shot I saw many years ago. A shot that was part of the reason I became interested in photography. Very nice.

Thanks everyone.

I had ND 6 f-stop filter for those shots (was really bright outside). I believe both were shot wide open (f/1.4) and shutter speeds were 1/360s and 1/500s respectively.

Here are a few more from the past weekend (Harbourfront, downtown Toronto)

Leica M9, 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE

Terrific set. This last one is especially good.

Lloyd

I saw a man playing the banjo the other day... he was really good. I didn't have any change to offer him, but Hillary did!

I also met Stranger number 6 today. Here's what I wrote about him on flickr:

[Snip]

And a test shot! Here's the Raffy Hillary made me :)
Very nice shots of the banjo player, Patrick. Really nice.

The "Stranger". You have more patience than I do, my friend. I wouldn't put up with that crap. Enjoy the lens. I love my copy.

Lloyd

It has been awhile since I have posted anything primarily as I have been without a lens. So, up and running again and noticing that the posts here are as good as ever. Yesterday, I put the 50mm Summicron to use as my daughter played hopscotch...looking forward to posting more in the future.
Love this! Speaks to me for sure. And welcome back.

m_driscoll

Lloyd: Great colors! I really like the background in the pano.
Ashwin: Nicely done!
Lloyd: Pretty upscale parking lot. A red Ferrari... how gauche, and that's a Porsche in the background. I really hate it when people take up two spaces for their car. He got what he deserved!
Ashwin: Great shots! BTW: I didn't sign a release.
Steve: An apparently it wasn't easy! Beautiful framing, texture and detail.
Joe: "Noctilicous", as someone other then me might say.
Joe: And, "Summilicous'! I like the DOF, alignment of the perspective and the slight asymmetry.
Ed: That guy's always chimping! Great composition.
onaujee: Beautiful images! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd ones.
Rayyan: :clap:
Joe: There's already four people on the list at our local purveyor for the M10?
Patrick: :toocool:
David: Those are awesome photos.
Steve: I guess, I'm going to have to go to nonfat in my lattes. Love the first one.
Rayyan: No idea where in the world you are? Very pretty, though. Based, on the second post, I'm guessing Scotland.
Hillary: Good eye! (since, I don't read ahead, I keep saying the same things that someone already said, i.e. "good eye"; well, it's true, you do)
Lloyd: Like the 'darkness' and the mystery.
Ashwin: :thumbs:
Joe: 'Printing' does give you a different 'take' on your photos.
esmallits: Great image!
Scott: Nice. I esp. like the 1st one.
Patrick: Great story and photos!
Bishop: Simple, dynamic image.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

PatrickCheung

Nice work Matt :p The colour is amazing!

Lloyd, thanks for the compliments! And the stranger was real nice! The store owner though... another story. He's a prick. A professor of mine was talking about how in works of fiction, gruesome and horrible things become beautiful. Example... Kill Bill, Mad Max, hell, even RoboCop... they're fun to watch and great works of art (save RoboCop) but you wouldn't want any of the movie content happening to you in real life. Likewise... this store owner, Shelton... he's a lot like The Comedian from the Watchmen. A great antihero figure in the comics and movies... though in real life... a complete pain in the *** to deal with.

ced

Bishop just love the hopscotch image, nice the way you captured the flow against the frozen ground.

Lloyd & others thanks for commenting on my previous post.

Mike Woods

Love this! :thumbs:

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.