The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosermage

Andrew, nice shots from the 28mm! Boy, you go through quite a few lenses in one short stop over ;-) I'm too lazy to do that.

PatrickCheung

Mike, that's the funniest picture I've seen in a while XD GREAT capture :) The shot of the kid and his bike is quite nice too!

Lloyd, that 6-shot panorama is gorgeous... the colours, the depth!
Tying into that, Gary, I really like those two you posted... I wish I had an eye for landscapes.

Andrew, I wish I could capture Hong Kong as you did. I'm always afraid of taking cityscapes and landscapes... I don't know how to shoot them. I'm having a ton of trouble shooting people as well, they're just not as friendly as they are in Canada.

MikalWGrass

This is usually the first site I check in the morning because of the quality work posted here. Amazing stuff, really, because of the diverse interests of the photogs here. Too many great shots to single anyone out so I will say "awesome shots" to everyone.

PatrickCheung

Not much to say this time... well... I've got lots to say, just don't want to bore anyone XD AND I'm always short on time when I'm travelling.

:) I'll tell each photo's story as they appear, I guess.

Being a little scared of getting yelled at by the people I photograph, I decided to try my hand at scalefocusing and estimating distance... "shooting from the hip". I don't like the idea of it, though I must say, it's kinda fun, you never know what you're gonna get. Architecture school definitely helps with judging the distance between me and my subjects!

I took a trip to Mong Kok with my dad today. One of my favourite places. You can find everything there! I love the stores and street markets, but I like people watching the best. It's a little bit of a tourist trap there, so it's amusing watching the street vendors charge outrageously high prices for cheap goods whenever tourists come around. If anyone ever goes to Hong Kong and decides to visit Mong Kok, always ask for a discount. "What's the lowest you can go?" memorize that. I also decided to take a few photos of this one tourist who kept getting overcharged :p

There was also a block of buildings being torn down... probably to make way for a new shopping complex.

it's always this crowded on the subways... and everyone's on their phones (yes, they get signal in their subway system). Cell phones have always been a major thing in Hong Kong... everyone wants the latest and greatest... though, everyone just ends up with the same phone. Brand name goods are a status symbol there. You don't have to have good taste in fashion and tech, just expensive taste. If you can't afford it, at least follow the trend.

ashwinrao1

Ashwin, your sports photography always amazed me. Hillary and I keep saying that you take better shots than the players in the game you're shooting! Your ability to focus fast lenses on fast-moving subjects leaves me in awe.
LOL, thanks, Patrick, and so happy to hear how you and Hilary inspire each other. I have learned to focus and compose rather quickly with my M lenses. It has taken getting to know my lenses and camera well. I am acutally doing a bit of re-learning, given that I sold my 1st M9 body off to David (Hosermage) and my 2nd body is a bit different in focussing. I'll get there....

Thanks for your kind words!

Brian S

A test shot - after modifying this lens to focus to 0.75m on the Leica M9.

1935 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f2, wide-open. "hacked" into Leica mount using a 1955 Jupiter-8 focus mount.

1m standard.

New close-focus.

Well, I had fun with it!

ashwinrao1

Lovely, Brian. I really enjoy the look of the old sonnars, with that signature bokeh! Great stuff, and well seen/processed.

Brian S

Thankyou.

I will do a Summar/Sonnar Shoot-out soon. I found a Summar with near perfect glass, like this Sonnar.

75 years late... But will be an interesting comparison on the M9.

PatrickCheung

XD Ashwin, I need to learn how to focus efficiently on my M... still subjects are simple, moving subjects, on the other hand...

:p Such an interesting hack, Brian... I always wonder how you began doing these things! The results are lovely :)

Lloyd

Ashwin, Lloyd...two diverse and wonderful captures. One of the reasons I prefer visuals to figures!!

And a big thanks to the both of you.

Excellent.:clap:
Rayyan sir, I'm grateful, my friend. :thumb up: And a Plus One on that basketball shot, Ashwin.

Lloyd, that 6-shot panorama is gorgeous... the colours, the depth!
Tying into that, Gary, I really like those two you posted... I wish I had an eye for landscapes.

Andrew, I wish I could capture Hong Kong as you did. I'm always afraid of taking cityscapes and landscapes... I don't know how to shoot them. I'm having a ton of trouble shooting people as well, they're just not as friendly as they are in Canada.
Thanks Patrick. I appreciate your appreciation. Also, and excellent set from the trip down to Mong Kok. (and good catch... I'm mean coming up with an excuse for the photos of the young blonde. :D) I really like the b/w conversions here as well.

Also. Big plus one on the shots in the Badlands, Gary. Jump right off the page.

PatrickCheung

XD Lloyd, you caught me! Well, without Hillary around, I need to find other pretty girls to photograph, am I right?

Rob, I love how the focus point is at her feet... you don't normally see something like that, but it's kinda cool... after all, she used her feet to get up that high into the air!

Went back to Mong Kok today, came back with a few photos, and a new toy :) Will post more after they're processed!

Status
Not open for further replies.