The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Woods

Too busy at work to contribute much lately, so my apologies. Had a new addition to the family over the weekend....no not a baby, another lens :D

The jury is still out as to whether this is my first lens 'error'. I went intending to buy a 90 Elmarit, and came away with a (pre-asph) 90 'cron....difficult to explain, but largely because of build quality and the desire (not need) for speed.

Anyway, took loads of images both Saturday and today, and I think I picked the wrong lens :( On the plus side, I think I understand what is meant by the classic Leica look. This thing is dreamy beyond belief but quite frankly I'm not sure I can cope with this degree of softness. Even when I think I've nailed it, it turns out barely anything is in focus. Even stopping down doesn't improve things much. BUT, when I definitely did nail it I can forgive the softness because of the overall 'feel' of the image, if that makes sense.

So, it's either a lens issue, my rangefinder or (possibly) my eyes :eek:

At web size, these are not going to tell you much, but these are a few of my keepers from this weekend. Forgive the long intro :eek:

Thanks for looking (and listening).

Mike

Too busy at work to contribute much lately, so my apologies. Had a new addition to the family over the weekend....no not a baby, another lens :D

The jury is still out as to whether this is my first lens 'error'. I went intending to buy a 90 Elmarit, and came away with a (pre-asph) 90 'cron....difficult to explain, but largely because of build quality and the desire (not need) for speed.

Anyway, took loads of images both Saturday and today, and I think I picked the wrong lens :( On the plus side, I think I understand what is meant by the classic Leica look. This thing is dreamy beyond belief but quite frankly I'm not sure I can cope with this degree of softness. Even when I think I've nailed it, it turns out barely anything is in focus. Even stopping down doesn't improve things much. BUT, when I definitely did nail it I can forgive the softness because of the overall 'feel' of the image, if that makes sense.

So, it's either a lens issue, my rangefinder or (possibly) my eyes :eek:

At web size, these are not going to tell you much, but these are a few of my keepers from this weekend. Forgive the long intro :eek:

Thanks for looking (and listening).

Mike
Mike - that's disappointing to hear (and see) - I was thinking of getting a 90mm f2 pre-asph but not sure after reading your comments.

Guess I'll have to save up my pennies and get the apo asph version :confused:

Cheers,

JimCollum

Mike - that's disappointing to hear (and see) - I was thinking of getting a 90mm f2 pre-asph but not sure after reading your comments.

Cheers,
I just got a 90 f2 pre-asph, and wide open sharpness is excellent

this is a wide open shot..

and a 100% crop of the M9 file

I've just had this lens a week now, and have found it excellent.

Since you're just down the way from me, if you're interested in trying it out on your camera for some test shots, let me know.. we can meet at Henry Cowell sometime

jim

Mike Woods

Cheers,
Joe, first things first...I'm no expert and no lens tester, although I might be getting the ruler out this time:D

Don't write it off. It gets good reviews. Perhaps I've been unlucky or maybe I can't handle the very thin depth of field. I'm happy to accept that. I've read a lot about the difficulties associated with focussing 90s. Not sure why they should be any different to any other lens...the rangefinder patch remains the same size.

Anyway I have more work to do. I can nail focus with 35, 50 and 75s....I'm certainly not used to deleting 90%+ of images due to being out of focus for all apertures between f2 and f4 :confused:

Mike

Joe, first things first...I'm no expert and no lens tester, although I might be getting the ruler out this time:D

Don't write it off. It gets good reviews. Perhaps I've been unlucky or maybe I can't handle the very thin depth of field. I'm happy to accept that. I've read a lot about the difficulties associated with focussing 90s. Not sure why they should be any different to any other lens...the rangefinder patch remains the same size.

Anyway I have more work to do. I can nail focus with 35, 50 and 75s....I'm certainly not used to deleting 90%+ of images due to being out of focus for all apertures between f2 and f4 :confused:

Mike
Understood Mike - for sure I will try a sample of this lens before purchasing ;-)

Cheers,

JimCollum

Thanks for posting this Jim - looks reasonably sharp - I assume this is wide open?

I do notice quite a bit of CA - green behind the plane of focus and magenta in front?

Cheers,
i've found very few samples of vintage fast glass (preasph) to be CA free wide open (most of my stuff is b/w.. so doesn't matter that much to me.. Capture One also does an excellent job of clearing that stuff up)

I don't thiink I own any of the new (cleaner) lenses from Leica.. just seem to prefer the imperfections :)

Gary P

Matt, I've really enjoyed your Palouse series, looks like a really surreal place.

Here's one from this morning (about an hour ago). It cost me a lot of blood (to the mosquito swarms) but I think it came out ok.

Great image Thrice! Did you use a graduated filter or were you able to master this dynamic range post op? Thanks. Gary P.

I just got a 90 f2 pre-asph, and wide open sharpness is excellent

I've just had this lens a week now, and have found it excellent.

Since you're just down the way from me, if you're interested in trying it out on your camera for some test shots, let me know.. we can meet at Henry Cowell sometime

jim
Thanks for the offer Jim - I might just take you up on that ;)

P

panyawong

1st time contributor here:
testing selective focus

& trying to count bricks on the wall

Does anyone know if lens selection was accidentally set wrong (e.g. manual and forget to change when change lens), is there a way to fix the lens type later and would it screw up the color shifting/vignetting compensation when load up in LR? Thanks!

ashwinrao1

Wow, I have been slacking, busy week-end at work with the college and pro sports teams back in action....had some fun with some local Leica guys this evening...

Picked up my new 50mm lux on Saturday and have been shooting with it exclusively since ;-)

This lens is a little gem - and I do mean little. I was surprised at how small and compact it is for an f1.4 lens.

Here is a mix of photos I've taken with it - mainly just learning the personality of this lens but so far I'm so thrilled with it that it may never come off my M9 :D

Comment welcome and thanks for looking.

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Fantastic portrait, Joe....I have been preoccupied with the Sonnar, but the Lux needs to get some love soon as well...LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.