The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude163

I actually did a paid photo shoot this last week for an auto repair shop, in the parking lot was one of the employees cars, THIS is his daily driver for the summer out here in E Canada!! 1969 Dart Stockcar he built himself, it sounds fantastic too

excuse the strange crops, I took out the minivans next to it :)

PS : The guys there thought i was a pro because I had TWO cameras with me , lol

SYGTAFOTO

Taking the morality out of the discussion as it is a personal choice,

At least in Canada, I'm under the information that as long as the photo (that contains people whether it is incidentally or posed) is not used for profit, one needs not a written consent to take the photo. It is fair game as long as it is taken on public property and do not hinder traffic of others.

There are some exception such as the right to privacy where the photo must not create moral prejudice or a fairly high degree of "discomfort and upset" and where a reasonable privacy is expected (eg. bathroom, court, etc).
As an example, you can also photograph someone else's house as it is seen from a public property, but if a family member is seen inside or outside the private property, this would invoke the right to privacy.

Personally, I think it is irrelevent to ask the purpose for taking a picture of a homeless on public property. It is exactly the same as taking pictures of someone reading a newspaper on a public bench. The picture itself does not create any prejudice or significantly demean the subject.

On that note, I think the picture of the homeless was a fantastic capture.

PatrickCheung

Rob, the first one wasn't too strange a crop! An interesting every-day driver, I must say!

Thanks for the response Scott! I'm 90% sure you're right about the legality of taking a photo of someone in public property and private property. Though, I guess some people see things a little differently!

And thank you for being honest, Shashin! I didn't take offense, sorry if my post seemed like I was offended!

Hosermage

Patrick, I love to read a good story with the pictures, just like I love it when the singer talks about a song before they sing it. It makes me feel more connected to them through more than just one sensory channel.

Hey Robert, I liked the first image very much... a very macho feeling.

I've always wondered about taking photos of a reflected image... is the focus distance to the mirror? Or is it the sum of the distances of me to the mirror and the mirror to the subject? Anyway, here's the result of an experiment... and I still don't know the correct answer. I do wish that I had a better angle so I'm not half way in the image.

Arjuna

I think that this picture answers the question: if the focus distance was from the camera to the mirror, then the mirror would be in focus!

Hosermage

Thanks, Arjuna! Silly me :) I guess if I just focus normally using the focus patch, then everything will turn out as expected.

hillary.hc.chang

thanks matt :) i'm still new at this so it's good to know i'm heading in the right direction

back in vancouver now :/ not sure if i'm happy or sad to be here.. i haven't called vancouver home for a while now so i'm a little homesick for Patrick :( but i've been trying to keep busy... so I went downtown yesterday with my camera and a sketchbook :)

faneuil

I don't want to sell my M9..

Used to be an M shooter. handling a sale, I shot with an M9 this weekend for the first time in a few years. Now I don't want to sell it. Nothing comes close.
M9 35mm ASPH cron.

PatrickCheung

Interesting photo David :p I mirrors are always fun to play with! Great timing with that shot. To answer your question... I feel as if you focus on the subject in the mirror, not the mirror. Your latter guess is correct. I recently posted a few photos I took with Hillary in a mirror here, we focused on us... rendering the background out of focus!

Great shot, Rayyan! I usually don't like statue photos... but this one changed my mind :)

great shot, erik... and great project in general. best of luck with the 365 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.