The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude163

summicron 50/2 :

Elmarit 135

is there a LTM equivalent of this lens? ( Helios 40 85/1.5 M42 its a clone of the zeiss biotar formula)

do NOT listen to 70s music while processing, this is what happens

PatrickCheung

Charles :) great shirt and... child... that sounds weird. Maybe I should've said "great photo of the shirt and your child looks lovely" instead! Your wife makes custom tees? Cool :p

Mike, I can't seem to get those pigeons in my shots when I want them there. Those little buggers keep moving!

Frank, despite my frequent visits to Toronto, I haven't seen or been to any of the places you took photos at... I should explore more.

This post will be quite... lengthy... just a warning, I guess?

I've only been in Hong Kong for about two days, I really can't tell if I like it here. The bad things first... it's extremely packed. The apartments are tiny, the one I'm living in is probably about 60-70 square meters. The washroom is about 2x2, the shower is about 1x1. each room is probably around 2x3. There are a total of 7 people living in this apartment, including my family and I. Everything's really dirty... after being outside all day, a white shirt can turn a little grey, and you really want to avoid any liquid that's on the ground. The people are... mostly rude. It's also always around 30 degrees here, with the humidity making it feel like 40, you're always sticky when you're outside... it's also impossible to breathe.

The good... the food is cheap, decent portions (a small bowl of noodles, a piece of french toast, and a pop is about $2CAD), plenty of cheap technology, and transportation is extremely efficient.

I noticed something, though. It seemed like most parents I encounter in Hong Kong don't quite... have their priorities straight. It was mothers day when we landed, so my dad's side of the family went out for breakfast. At the restaurant, we sat next to another family who was also out for mother's day. The father was making a scene, screaming at his child because he didn't do his homework until late into the night. For the entire 45 minutes they were there, he kept yelling, and when he wasn't yelling, he kept quiet, looking angry. The mother went unnoticed, sitting quietly watching this happen... at least she got a rose. This morning, I saw a father sitting quietly at a restaurant, his child, about 3-4 years old, calling out for his attention. The father snaps at the child after a while, the kid keeps quiet. The kid burns his tongue, cries, the father ignores him. The kid's grandma finally takes care of him.

Though, that's not to say that all parents here are horrible... I did see a few things that made me smile. I wrote this to Hillary:

So I think I found the two most beautiful people in Hong Kong today! There was this girl, she was about 5'4, probably around our age (give or take a year or two), long hair, pretty, but not extremely good looking. She looked really plain, no make up, simple clothes, nothing too special. She also had a younger brother, or cousin... he was about 2-3 years old, cute, really cute, a happy child! The girl's aunt asked her to take care of the kid while she went to buy bread, so the girl picked him up and started playing with him. The kid kept laughing, smiling, and pulling on her shirt. She kept a smile on her face while she talked to him and played with him. I thought it was the most beautiful thing, and I couldn't take my eyes off them. I don't know why. I thought about taking a photo, but I didn't want to take one and not talk to them... though, I didn't know enough chinese to talk to them. Sucks...

I also saw a family of 5, Dad, Mom, 3 daughters, no older than 6. The dad spent all his time playing with the kids, joking around with them and such. It was really nice :)

This kind of all made me realize that I want a child. Of course, not right now (I'm only 19!!!), much later in life. I've always been shakey on the idea... didn't want to mess up the child's life, didn't know if I could handle the responsibility. Though now I kind of realized that children are almost... vital to my idea of a complete life. I the joy that the girl holding her cousin got, the same joy the father entertaining his children experienced, is joy that can only be felt through children. Though, I also learned that I've got to be ready for them, I've got to put them first. I don't want to end up like the other two fathers I mentioned.

AND FINALLY... I hate how it's impossible to photograph anything or anyone without getting yelled at by someone here. I photograph my grandma and cousin at the hospital, I get yelled at for invading privacy. I photograph people at the market, I get yelled at because they're afraid I work for a publication, writing an article on animal cruelty. I photograph people outside a 7-11, I get yelled at because... apparently 7-11 holds some pretty important goods that they can't have photos of floating around online (I made that last one up... can't imagine why). I can't even take a tourist landscape photo, or a photo in a crowded street of vendors without people telling me I'm in the way, or thinking I'm taking a photo of them. I gave up taking photos on the street today... but here's what I got so far.

Papa and Mama Cheung at the HK Airport.

Re-united on Mothers Day :) Papa Cheung and Grandma Cheung

Mama Cheung and her mother... well... only Grandma Wong!

One more of my dad's family... well.. about a third of them

And... the subway

ShiroKuro

"AND FINALLY... I hate how it's impossible to photograph anything or anyone without getting yelled at by someone here. I photograph my grandma and cousin at the hospital, I get yelled at for invading privacy. I photograph people at the market, I get yelled at because they're afraid I work for a publication, writing an article on animal cruelty. I photograph people outside a 7-11, I get yelled at because... apparently 7-11 holds some pretty important goods that they can't have photos of floating around online (I made that last one up... can't imagine why). I can't even take a tourist landscape photo, or a photo in a crowded street of vendors without people telling me I'm in the way, or thinking I'm taking a photo of them. I gave up taking photos on the street today... but here's what I got so far."

Patrick ,
The problem is you gave been photographing the wrong in the wrong place .... 7 Eleven is dangerous and not worth the space on your SD card ,you should not be taking touristy shots and street vendors ...who needs them ? .... You need to head down to this part of town ; )

Here is a link for you ..... Flickr: K_iwi's Photostream

By the way I'm not calling you out and just joking around, incase that does not come across that way over the inter web ... be safe and know your limitations ....

You should go and check out his show ... One of my favorite photographers . Who knows you might meet some people to hang with and keep you out of the house .... which by the way your family sounds like a very cool thing to document .... and perhaps the interaction between the children and the adults you wrote about ... now if you could take a photograph that captured this ..... I try all the time and cannot manage it .... any way have a great time .......

Last edited:

hillary.hc.chang

Mike: I really like the orange accents. nice series :)
Rob: love the glow!

my card reader has been acting up lately so I havent been able to upload photos for a while.. i forgot how much i liked processing photos xD

Visited a couple friends at my old dance school.. I used to take classes there almost everyday since I was 3 but I quit after grade 11 to focus on school. Super nostalgic going back and talking to dance moms buying eyelashes and tights xD

Hopped across the border for the day on saturday.. Stopped at a chinese buffet and the Washington Motorcyclists came for lunch too :) also went to an organic grocery store my parents frequent at now.

Hi Mom :)

Happy belated Mother's Day btw :)
My great-grandmother :) no one's quite sure how old she is but she's definitely 90something. 4 generations together for lunch :D

and three generations together for dinner :)

Lloyd

Nice work lately, Charles. The shot with the clock in it is terrific. However, that "I Love Mom" shot is priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.