The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAlKhamis

Lloyd, such an inspiring RF the Monochrome, and i can see that with your magnificent shots ! well done love them all. cheers!

Dude163, Lovely colorful and B&W captures!

Patrick, what a lovely smile of Hillary and what amazing set from HK, well done !

Richard, lovely set specially the last, amazing capture and congrats !

Matt, What a lovely set from the pike place market, stunning B&Ws.

Otumay, Lovely historical shot !

Gary, Lovely Pano landscape, excellent dynamic range, well done !

Mike, Lovely capture with the 50 lux !

Andrew, Another lovely set from HK, well done !

ashwinrao1

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, Seattle is a fun place to find a wide set of people doing interesting activities, and seeing it through this lens really is enjoyable...

hillary.hc.chang

so i dont check this thread for a good few days and i'm already like 3 pages behind :O so much beautiful work! this thread is always so inspiring.

i've been in such a rut with photography within the past week.. just couldn't bring myself to take photos for the past few days. but i finally picked up my camera yesterday and went down to granville island (super tourist location in vancouver but still one of my favourite places) and snapped a few before my battery died :) not particularly happy with them.. but they're not horrible for being a few days rusty too :/

in other news.. i've contracted a horrible case of GAS which doesn't appear to be going away xD so i recently acquired a fed4 with an industar 61 50/2.8, and as of today a rolleicord III :) so i experimented with the industar 61 on my RD-1 yesterday.

m_driscoll

The Pike Place Market, again.

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/90s; +2/3 EV; ISO 1000

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/125s; +2/3 EV; ISO 1000

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/180s; ISO 250

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/1000s; ISO 250

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/1500s; ISO 320

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/45s; ISO 250

M9; 21mm f/3.4; 1/90s; +2/3 EV; ISO 800

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

ashwinrao1

so i dont check this thread for a good few days and i'm already like 3 pages behind :O so much beautiful work! this thread is always so inspiring.

i've been in such a rut with photography within the past week.. just couldn't bring myself to take photos for the past few days.

in other news.. i've contracted a horrible case of GAS which doesn't appear to be going away xD so i recently acquired a fed4 with an industar 61 50/2.8, and as of today a rolleicord III :) so i experimented with the industar 61 on my RD-1 yesterday.

Bad GAS lol is part of the M mount charm....glad you re-discovered the muse. It can be leached from us at times...thankfully, both Vancouver and Seattle have plenty to showcase to us.

Global Nomad

So many incredible shots from everyone ... got me inspired to try my hand at B&W.

Loved the first few months with the M8 that I took the plunge and sold her so I could picked up an M9 ... still a lot to learn ... guess I just need to keep shooting ... how rough life can be at times ;-)

Thanks for the inspiration,

Alejandro

Last edited:

ajayc

Howdy folks.
Long time lurker around these parts, but barely shared any images. Some of you are familiar from the FM Leica thread. Thought I would share a few images from the last few months. Constructive feedback is most welcome. Hope to contribute more here.

Leica store Munich (50 lux)

A local Leica salesman at his indecisive state between lunch options. San Francisco (50/0.95)

Olympiapark, Munich (50 lux)

The "big rock", Yosemite Natl. Park (24 lux)

Snake river sunset, Idaho (50 lux)

San francisco (28 cron)

PatrickCheung

Oh wow... there is... so much to catch up on within one day. I'm horribly tired (the heat is killing me), so I'll keep it simple! A really nice page, really good work from all :)

I really hope I get to visit Seattle when I go to Vancouver in August... I'd love to meet you all, if possible :)

PatrickCheung

I went out with my aunt and uncle today. We walked around Central, ate at an old style restaurant, and took a ferry... It was really tiring, especially in 30degree weather with the humidity pushing it to near 40. :p My family on my dad's side don't quite grasp what I mean when I say "I like taking photos" because they took me to a ton of tourist hot-spots and kept ushering me to take photos of things. "But everyone photographs these things, why add to it?" I say, "People take a photo of it for a reason, you're in Hong Kong, you should take photos of the things people remember about Hong Kong" my dad replies. I completely disagree, but snap away anyway, not wanting to make my aunt and uncle feel bad.

We went to the IFC tower, a huge designer label mall full of tourists, (and the place where I learned that official Leica stores are bullshit,) and onto the IFC roof garden that overlooks the ferry harbour at Central. You can see the skyline of the mainland side of Hong Kong there, though it was raining so hard that you couldn't even see out to the edge of the harbour. When the rain stopped, we went back out to the roof garden and my dad tells me to take photos. I have no interest in shooting the skyline... I don't have an eye or interest for these things, and Andrew shoots them better :p Though I came away with a shot that I kind of liked.

Central is full of foreign businessmen looking to do business with Hong Kong businessmen!

Anyway, I think my favourite part of the day was eating at an old style restaurant in Central.

At the Lin Heung restaurant in Central, an old-style restaurant. Floor is dirty, tables are dirty (we were seated at a table covered in spat-out bones and chewed meat, the mess was cleaned with one quick wipe of a wet towel), you need to give your chopsticks and dishes a second wash just in case. My dad loved it, re-lived his childhood here.

When the food carts roll out, people flock to them...
because if you wait for them to come to you (as you normally do in chinese restaurants), everyone else would've gotten the good food already. My dad refused to sit down until we had about 10 dishes infront of us :p He's like a child. Though, Hillary says I'm like a big kid, so I guess it runs in the family

The Hong Kong photo culture is really different from the North American one. It's part of the culture (not the right word, though the word isn't coming to me right now) over here to value brand names and high price tags over personality and skill. I walked by a group of 4 men sitting at a table about a meter and a half in diameter. Each of them had a D3s/D4 with big, expensive glass mounted. 70-200/2.8 AF-S VRII, 85/1.4G, 24-70/2.8... they chat about their gear, the features, and how much it cost them... not once is a photo mentioned. People here think more expensive is better. Everyone shoots the same things, landscapes, mountains, cityscapes, skylines, things that people see in travel brochures, which is why my family thinks that's what I like when I say I like taking photos. Kinda sucks.

ShiroKuro

Ajayc, Excellent images
... your PP is also top notch ... beautiful B&W and color

Patrick ,looks like you are having a great time photographing HK , your getting some great photographs .

Andrew , excellent images from HK

Loyd ,really like your last set of B&W the grain and subtle tones are beautifully done
as is the color image of the Blades of Grass.

Hillary love your images .... I get like that sometimes and can't seem to make a photograph ... Recently been shooting film more and that helps change things up and get me out of any rut I may be in ... enjoy your new purchases
It's hard to keep up with commenting on all the new images posted . Sometimes I have to take notes so I don't forget : ) but the images posted here are always a pleasure to look at and more often than not motivation to get out more and photograph .... very inspiring these photographers are :D

With the Baseball field across the street from my house I have become the unofficial photographer for the Ohno Nishi baseball team. At first when photographing them , as I was told later, People were trying figure out which kid was mine .. looking for the "1/2 kid " which there isn't one. After about a month of photographing ,I thought it best to go down with some prints and my newborn son ; ) ... The photos of their kids were well received ....I think after seeing the images I was making of their kids made huge impact on some of the parents and the kids themselves ... Sometimes sharing our images with the strangers we are photographing gets left out of the process ... Theses are their memories and childhood and being able to make an image that captures these moments and sharing them with the actual people involved makes all that more powerful .
Here is one from today

Leica M8.2 21 SA

Lloyd

Loving your stuff from HK, Patrick. With your father from there, you have a unique opportunity to see it in ways most "outsiders" never will. Thanks for sharing.

Charles: Thank you, much appreciated. Nice shot too. Love the perspective. And I guess what I said about Patrick as an outsider in HK goes for you in Japan.

Lloyd

WAY behind here. Nice to see the thread's activity picking up again.

One quick one, a five-shot pano from my front porch. I think the mountain looks a bit over sharpened. Sorry.

M8, 90 Elmarit:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.